Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Master

It is a passive addiction. We aren't allowed mobiles / cells in the office and I'm bereft. I feel as if I've lost a link with the my world. It doesn't help that I'm new in role so feel a tad insecure. It's good to be without as it makes me connect to the self more rather than drop in to external stimulant.

But it's an addiction.

Yes, it's rude to have them at a meal but there are exceptions: a fulsome apology at the start of the meal with an explanation why you have it there. There are times in this world where we can be flexible and if it helps an anxious mom who is waiting for a phone call to say their child has arrived at destination or they've passed an exam or something - then there can be a bit of give and take. But, my rule is it has to be acknowledged at the beginning of the meal and explained why.

I was out with someone, I forget whom, but a while ago and they were there with 2 mobiles and they kept connecting with both of them even tho they weren't ringing - incase something had come through without them noticing. The checking was every 2 mins and then of course the phone call and the caller was told "I'm not doing anything important"! Ha, I got up and left, but what I felt was just a deep sadness for the other person that they needed such an identity in a small object to feel important. As well as feeling a tad insulted.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Master

And we haven't even talked about the dangers of cell phones

At the National Cancer Institute they say: Cell phones emit radiofrequency energy, a form of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, which can be absorbed by tissues closest to where the phone is held.

Yet they say studies have been inconclusive in linking cancers of the brain, nerves, or other tissues of the head or neck.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...isk/cellphones

Come on, do they think we are that stupid?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
On Christmas day we had my husband's family over. After a few hours my husband had to take his father back to the assisted living place that he resides. While he was gone we were all sitting in the living room talking. We are talking about two 48 year old men, one 45 year old woman, one eleven year old boy a 16 year old boy and a thirteen year old girl.

So the 11 year old boy pulls out his cell phone (smart phone) and starts playing something. One by one all of the other people mentioned above pulled out their phones and they started Facebooking back and forth. Not talking, not interacting personally, we are talking Facebook.

Now my question is do you think we are a wee bit obsessed with cell phones and other media tools? Sure, I have a smart phone too, but I don't use it unless I am going out somewhere and it is mostly for research (the internet). I've told my people not to leave messages on my cell phone because I just don't carry it around with me very often. It sits on the counter, mostly on the charger unless I am going out somewhere.

And then the next question. Say you are having lunch with a friend. Do you think it is rude for them to answer their cell phone and hold a conversation (non emergency or children at home related) while ignoring you?

I see cell phone zombies where ever I go.

linen53 - I saw the title of your thread and it caught my eye because I have a problem with people being both glued to their phones or comparing their smart phones. Me, I have a Mickey Mouse phone and it's not smart. I have a problem though and that is people keep coming over to my house for dinner and the first thing they do is set their phone(s) on the dinner table. Then half way through conversations I see them picking up their phone(s) and checking them, playing with them, answering calls. I find it to be rude. My son's wife picked up his phone and read his text message. I thought to myself, no wonder he never replies to my messages; maybe he's not even getting them. I don't know. This whole business with cell phones annoys me. Whatever happened to people sitting around the table discussing life. I feel so detached from everyone, but I suppose if people don't feel it's rude they will keep on keeping on. I usually zone out once people get involved in their phone when they're over. I guess I feel perhaps I'm boring and so the phone is a form of entertainment or connection to someone else more exciting than me. LOL

Blackraven
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Master

I have a flip phone and hate texts even though I have to use it sometimes. I'm not on Facebook or anything else like that and I am a software engineer. The whole virtual world craze these days just weakens people just like it did the nerds back in the day. It may be fashionable now but it's anything but cool. When I see people constantly on their phone it looks dumb, kinda like geeks playing with their calculator watches in the 80s.

I asked a kid the other day about his friends. He said he had hundreds. I asked how many of them do you go hang out with or see (in reality) regularly. He said none. I said I hate to tell you this but you don't really have any friends. Then he said he has a girlfriend. I asked if he ever sees her, and he said no, just online. I said you don't have a girlfriend (obviously). You just have alot of penpals.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I asked a kid the other day about his friends. He said he had hundreds. I asked how many of them do you go hang out with or see (in reality) regularly. He said none. I said I hate to tell you this but you don't really have any friends. Then he said he has a girlfriend. I asked if he ever sees her, and he said no, just online. I said you don't have a girlfriend (obviously). You just have alot of penpals.

Very sad, and who even has penpals ..... as no one sends real letters anymore either.

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
Very sad, and who even has penpals ..... as no one sends real letters anymore either.
I didn't mean it literally but that's basically what it is. How sad is it to have a thousand 'friends' on facebook but no real ones? It's pretty sad, it's worse than having no friends on facebook but having one real one.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
I didn't mean it literally but that's basically what it is. How sad is it to have a thousand 'friends' on facebook but no real ones? It's pretty sad, it's worse than having no friends on facebook but having one real one.

I know you didn't mean it literally, I was playing with your words .....sorry

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 13-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Pathfinder
Love this thread! Last month I used ZERO minutes on my cell. Did not even turn it on. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty tech savvy, but believe that making friends should take more than a keystroke. A good friend is able to listen to more than your words during a conversation, instead of the need to review and sanitize a chat. It's ok to occasionally screw up while you're talking, a true friend accepts you on a personal level, not on how they will look to virtual strangers. By the way, cancelled facebook long ago also. Ok, off my soapbox. 1 last thing, say the power goes out.. I just plug in the old style phone that never needs anything but a phone jack to work, $15... Peace to you all....
Old 15-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Experiencer
Yep, I agree with a lot of what's being said here.

I don't use mine like that. People don't understand that, and I don't give a ____.
I mostly use my phone for business.
Old 15-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMeganV
I am kind of a cell phone zombie, to be honest. But I know when to leave it in my bag, so I'm only a zombie when I know it's appropriate (i.e. in the train or bus) and not while people are talking to me or during class. l

I see nothing wrong with enjoying the cell phone. They are very entertaining but when you opt for that phone call rather than the person you are with is when I think it is rude. Realizing when it's time to put it away is a good thing. Good for you!

Quote:
To me it seems anti social. And now research is showing that to be true. The more people use social media the less social they become.

People will become less social, and the 'virtual world' will replace reality. Internet, etc will integrate with the human body, and basically we'll live in something similar to a Neuromancer world.

Personally I don't do it because I don't want the world knowing about my personal life. People give it away without a thought these days, hence the acceptance of government spying we see today. So in addition to a Neuromancer world it will be more and more like a 1984 world as well. Thought crimes.

You never see kids outside playing anymore. It's sad.

You say so many things in your post that it is hard to cut it down to contribute. I agree it is a virtual world and people are not interacting with the world around them.

I feel frightened that so much personal information is all around. It is scary

I remember playing ball in the street with the neighborhood kids when I was enjoying my childhood. It was the highlight of the day! And rollers skaking with my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpastelle
I think this will pass...l

I certainly hope so. When will they start linking cancers and tumors to the extreme cell phone use.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
It is a passive addiction. We aren't allowed mobiles / cells in the office and I'm bereft. I feel as if I've lost a link with the my world. It doesn't help that I'm new in role so feel a tad insecure. It's good to be without as it makes me connect to the self more rather than drop in to external stimulant.

But it's an addiction.

Yes, it's rude to have them at a meal but there are exceptions: a fulsome apology at the start of the meal with an explanation why you have it there. There are times in this world where we can be flexible and if it helps an anxious mom who is waiting for a phone call to say their child has arrived at destination or they've passed an exam or something - then there can be a bit of give and take. But, my rule is it has to be acknowledged at the beginning of the meal and explained why.

I was out with someone, I forget whom, but a while ago and they were there with 2 mobiles and they kept connecting with both of them even tho they weren't ringing - incase something had come through without them noticing. The checking was every 2 mins and then of course the phone call and the caller was told "I'm not doing anything important"! Ha, I got up and left, but what I felt was just a deep sadness for the other person that they needed such an identity in a small object to feel important. As well as feeling a tad insulted.

You make a lot of good points Belle. You call it a passive addiction (with you I presume) but you gave an example of someone who was obsessively addicted. I’m glad you got up and left.

And yes, when you have children or if the hubby is calling to find out what you want him to pick up for dinner, it is more than understandable (this is in reference to you having a real conversation with the person in front of you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
linen53 - I saw the title of your thread and it caught my eye because I have a problem with people being both glued to their phones or comparing their smart phones. Me, I have a Mickey Mouse phone and it's not smart. I have a problem though and that is people keep coming over to my house for dinner and the first thing they do is set their phone(s) on the dinner table. Then half way through conversations I see them picking up their phone(s) and checking them, playing with them, answering calls. I find it to be rude. My son's wife picked up his phone and read his text message. I thought to myself, no wonder he never replies to my messages; maybe he's not even getting them. I don't know. This whole business with cell phones annoys me. Whatever happened to people sitting around the table discussing life. I feel so detached from everyone, but I suppose if people don't feel it's rude they will keep on keeping on. I usually zone out once people get involved in their phone when they're over. I guess I feel perhaps I'm boring and so the phone is a form of entertainment or connection to someone else more exciting than me. LOL

Blackraven

I told my husband what his family did while he was away and he said, “and you want me to get a smart phone?” To which I explained it isn’t the cell phones that are being naughty, it’s the people who own them.

Regarding your son’s wife. I have that same problem with my daughter in law erasing my texts to my granddaughter.

When someone interrupts our conversation by answering the cell phone it interrupts the flow of our auras. (that is what happens when people converse, their auras intermingle and there is a spiritual connection between the two people). When they end the phone I just drop what I was talking about before. It pretty much ruins my time with them from then on. I do have one friend and I’ve explained that I think it is rude and she at least refrains from answering it if it isn’t important (after looking at who is calling her) while she is with me.

Quote:
I have a flip phone and hate texts even though I have to use it sometimes. I'm not on Facebook or anything else like that and I am a software engineer. The whole virtual world craze these days just weakens people just like it did the nerds back in the day. It may be fashionable now but it's anything but cool. When I see people constantly on their phone it looks dumb, kinda like geeks playing with their calculator watches in the 80s.

Wow a software engineer saying this? I agree, it isn't cool. It looks dumb, like you said. It's like a pacifier stuck to their ear.

Great example you gave about the kid and his friends! He has no real friends!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedTexas
I am pretty tech savvy, but believe that making friends should take more than a keystroke. A good friend is able to listen to more than your words during a conversation, instead of the need to review and sanitize a chat. It's ok to occasionally screw up while you're talking, a true friend accepts you on a personal level, not on how they will look to virtual strangers. By the way, cancelled facebook long ago also. Ok, off my soapbox. 1 last thing, say the power goes out.. I just plug in the old style phone that never needs anything but a phone jack to work, $15... Peace to you all....

There is nothing like getting together with a friends or friends for good ole' catching up. Precious!

Yes, I deleted my facebook account some time ago. Cancelling it just puts it in a sleep mode. Most people don't know that.

XD we have a old style phone in one of our rooms so when the power goes out I have a phone that still works. No I don't pick up my cell phone to make a call to the power company to report the loss of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpHnStorM
Yep, I agree with a lot of what's being said here.

I don't use mine like that. People don't understand that, and I don't give a ____.
I mostly use my phone for business.

I use my cell phone for internet connection for research while I am out. I check prices online and the demand for items I find for sale.

I was at my hairdressers today and she is one of the middle-grade addicted ones. She checks her cell phone probably a dozen times while I am there (an hour and a half). She really doesn’t see that it is rude to be on her cell phone as much as she is. I like her, though, I’ve known her for about 15 years or so, so I am patient. I hope Kpastelle is right and it will peter out. I thought the same thing with Facebook, Twitter, etc and so far they are still going strong.~~sigh~~