Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 17-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Master
Question Crucifix/Cross Jewelry

Does one wear a crucifix for some kind of personal recognition from others as being a christian? There has to be more to it than just that. (I have my own opinion, but I will withhold it for now.) Also it seems as though it's a trendy thing to wear crosses (crucifixes without Jesus on it). What's up with that?

Blackraven
Old 17-04-2011, 01:02 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Does one where a crucifix for some kind of personal recognition from others as being a christian? There has to be more to it than just that. (I have my own opinion, but I will withhold it for now.) Also it seems as though it's a trendy thing to wear crosses (crucifixes without Jesus on it). What's up with that?

Blackraven

I think it has evolved into a Christian symbol though I don't believe it originated there. It is often worn as a faith object. Many religions and faiths have symbols that they use or wear to acknowledge in which faith they believe in. I think the cross or crucifix ( the one with Jesus on it ) is associated with Catholicism and the ones without Jesus are more in the Protestant camp.

This link has a quick review of the cross symbol. It mention some cultures that used that symbol before Christianity. Two other culture I believe you could add would be Celtic/Germanic cultures as well.

http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseact...l-of-Cross.htm

"The surprising thing is that the Christian use of the cross did not begin until the time of Constantine, three centuries after Christ. Archaeologists have not found any Christian use of the symbol before that time. According to one writer (W. E. Vine, Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, article "Cross"), the cross as a "Christian" symbol was taken directly from the pagans."

Read more: http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseact...#ixzz1JjxwRbCi
Old 17-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Master
I guess what I should be asking is..."What do you think wearing the cross or crucifix around your neck symbolizes?" I was raised Catholic and there was a time I wore a crucifix around my neck. But I stopped wearing it out of feelings of hypocrisy. I felt that I could not in all honesty represent Christianity in good faith, being a human being and a human sinner as such. I know what people are going to say. It is because of Christ's death that sins are forgiven. I know the drill. I'm just expressing my deep down reservations for not feeling as though I can stand tall and represent the church/christianity in all honesty. For example, how can I get upset and curse while wearing a crucifix? Or, what it I'm having a bad day and speak lowly of my neighbor? Not very christian of me. This is not how I feel about other people wearing crosses/crucifixes but it is how I personally feel. Just thought I'd add more of my thoughts on why I started this post.

Blackraven
Old 17-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Ascender
Blackraven,
I think it means that you're saying "I'm a Christian". It's not saying "I'm the epitome of the sinless Christian".

No one represents any faith perfectly, or sinless-ly. If you want to wear it then wear it. Look upon it as saying "With all of my flaws and foibles, I'm still a Christian". That would probably make people feel more welcome to Christianity than whacking someone over the head with a Bible when you meet them.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
Blackraven,
I think it means that you're saying "I'm a Christian". It's not saying "I'm the epitome of the sinless Christian".

No one represents any faith perfectly, or sinless-ly. If you want to wear it then wear it. Look upon it as saying "With all of my flaws and foibles, I'm still a Christian". That would probably make people feel more welcome to Christianity than whacking someone over the head with a Bible when you meet them.

Triner - "Whacking someone over the head with a Bible when you meet them" - love it!

Blackraven
Old 18-04-2011, 01:03 AM
nightowl

Quote:
I guess what I should be asking is..."What do you think wearing the cross or crucifix around your neck symbolizes?" I was raised Catholic and there was a time I wore a crucifix around my neck. But I stopped wearing it out of feelings of hypocrisy. I felt that I could not in all honesty represent Christianity in good faith, being a human being and a human sinner as such. I know what people are going to say. It is because of Christ's death that sins are forgiven. I know the drill. I'm just expressing my deep down reservations for not feeling as though I can stand tall and represent the church/christianity in all honesty. For example, how can I get upset and curse while wearing a crucifix? Or, what it I'm having a bad day and speak lowly of my neighbor? Not very christian of me. This is not how I feel about other people wearing crosses/crucifixes but it is how I personally feel. Just thought I'd add more of my thoughts on why I started this post.

Blackraven

I think it is good that you realize these things in your walk, a person who has faith and is honest with themselves are usually the most sincere believers. As with any symbol it has a much power as you give it, perhaps if you choose to wear one it can represent a place of surrender knowing you are not perfect, as we surrender to our faith we represent it as well, as humans not perfect but working out the details.
Old 18-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I think it is good that you realize these things in your walk, a person who has faith and is honest with themselves are usually the most sincere believers. As with any symbol it has a much power as you give it, perhaps if you choose to wear one it can represent a place of surrender knowing you are not perfect, as we surrender to our faith we represent it as well, as humans not perfect but working out the details.

nightowl - "represent a place of surrender knowing you are not perfect" - I have never thought of the cross symbolizing such. But reading these words feels really good to me right about now. Thank you nightowl.

Blackraven
Old 18-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Master
Just Imagine if Jesus had died in modern times, we might be now wearing a electric chair, or maybe a rifle or even a hang noose around our necks, but yes when i use to wear a cross around my neck what it represented was my own death on the cross, and my own resurrection, just what the cross should mean to all.
Old 18-04-2011, 02:15 AM
nightowl

Quote:
nightowl - "represent a place of surrender knowing you are not perfect" - I have never thought of the cross symbolizing such. But reading these words feels really good to me right about now. Thank you nightowl.

Blackraven

welcome glad it lifted you!
Old 18-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Just Imagine if Jesus had died in modern times, we might be now wearing a electric chair, or maybe a rifle or even a hang noose around our necks, but yes when i use to wear a cross around my neck what it represented was my own death on the cross, and my own resurrection, just what the cross should mean to all.

Whoah slice, I thought of the cross-shaped gurney they use when they execute by lethal injection! It would still be a cross!