Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Cal

Hi Samana,

Thank you for the advice. What I am really liking though is the strong emphasis on meditation. I've been meditating (on and off) for 30 years without any real background or instruction. Also, the people in the group are very friendly, considerate and helpful.

Wishes of joy and happiness,
Cal
Old 13-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Hi Samana,

Thank you for the advice. What I am really liking though is the strong emphasis on meditation. I've been meditating (on and off) for 30 years without any real background or instruction. Also, the people in the group are very friendly, considerate and helpful.

Wishes of joy and happiness,
Cal

That sounds very positive, Cal. I hope everything that you experience there is of benefit to your understanding and practice on the path.

with metta,

Samana

Old 14-11-2011, 08:31 AM
philji

I think Samana some of your comments themselves show a prejudice towards theravada. I have been part of a vajrayana centre for over 10 years and have never been told that vajrayana is superior to theravada/hinayana.... The Buddha gave 84,000 teachings and we can all find something in there somewhere... The Buddha emphazised the need to benefit people... not all people can approach the dharma through a theravada approach and may be able to benefit from mahayana or vajrayana. But whatever approach you take you have to have the foundation of refuge in the three jewels... then the actual practice then a dedication of practice to benefit beings. This is then a complete approach, regardless of the label.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by philji
I think Samana some of your comments themselves show a prejudice towards theravada. I have been part of a vajrayana centre for over 10 years and have never been told that vajrayana is superior to theravada/hinayana.... The Buddha gave 84,000 teachings and we can all find something in there somewhere... The Buddha emphazised the need to benefit people... not all people can approach the dharma through a theravada approach and may be able to benefit from mahayana or vajrayana. But whatever approach you take you have to have the foundation of refuge in the three jewels... then the actual practice then a dedication of practice to benefit beings. This is then a complete approach, regardless of the label.

That's great if you like Vajrayana. Before you start judging me, I was involved with it for 20 years offline, so I'm not speaking from a prejudice towards Theravada, I'm speaking from my own direct experience of Tibetan Buddhism and its practices over a long period of time. I also didn't become involved with Theravada immediately I left TB.

_/\_
Old 15-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Experiencer
I wasn't able to delete this message - is there no delete facility available ?

Old 15-11-2011, 09:33 AM
philji

Hi Samana, i mean no harm but it seems that everytime someone mentions vajrayana you jump in with a quote about theravada v vajrayana. I hope i asm not judging you, simply referring to your comments. People will naturally be drawn to the teachings of the Buddha that work for them. I hope you are well.
Old 15-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
People will naturally be drawn to the teachings of the Buddha that work for them.

Hi,

Not necessarily. People offline can sometimes not even be aware that there are choices available to them if they have jobs and busy lives, they go to whichever Buddhist centre is nearest and most convenient.

I hope you are well too.

May all beings have peace and happiness