Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 18-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Ascender
I'm seeing a lot of repetitve words in that manuscript. Interesting.
Old 19-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Gryneos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecta3
ughhh those titles that clam everything to pull you in...partial means very limited...about 14 characters in all. one could guess some words from the plants, not much of a discovery really
I don't understand what you mean by "those titles that claim everything to pull you in." I don't see a claim here that they have deciphered all of it. Yes, the title could have been better written (as is the case for 99% of the media ever since the invention of writing.) If you read beyond the title, I hope you learned just how important this discovery is.

This partial claim, even if "only" fourteen characters is far more than anyone else has managed. It's the first step, and I found it quite amazing they were able to identify full words. They can make huge inroads into the deciphering by that little bit alone. I don't know how many unique characters exist in this manuscript, but if it's at all close to the Greek alphabet, that represents over half of the total (24 letters in the Greek alphabet.)

Admittedly, I have not watched the video included in the link (just haven't taken the time for it.) However, I remain convinced that this is indeed a major discovery, and I'll be checking to see what other progress they make (and publish)

Last edited by Gryneos : 19-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Master
if i was a bit quick to conclusion then please excuse. i did watch the vid but it did not hold my attention, not its fault. hopefully this'll lead to a full deciphering. the title was misleading

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 19-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Guide
It is possible that it is a copy made of a copy made of a copy (etc etc) of some old Arabic (or something like that) manuscript as copied by medieval scribes who did not understand the language and just simply tried to imitate the letters.
Every generation of copies multiplying the errors of the previous ones until you have nothing recognizable anymore.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Gryneos

Well, after reading this blog post (that is a point by point rebuttal of Nick Pelling's initial criticism) I don't get the impression that it's simply a multitude of copied texts over the years.

While I don't understand all of the linguistic terminology, what Prof. Bax has proposed so far seems the most plausible in deciphering a script in a real language. Any professor (i.e., Ph.D. scholar) in linguistics I would then expect to be educated enough to determine whether something is gibberish or not. He's made actual translations of a few of the words in the manuscript. You can't translate gibberish ;)
Old 23-03-2014, 01:12 PM
The Librarian

The Voynich manuscript is pretty interesting. I'm jealous of people that dig this sort of thing up. I'm going to hand write and bind a book and bury it in big metal box for people in a hundred years to dig up and pull their hair out over. I'll be giggling in my grave.
Old 24-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Gryneos

That's the spirit TL!

You might have a look at the Codex Seraphinianus. I'd link it here, but some of the drawings are explicit, even if it's meant to be a kind of alien-art biology book (it's a work of art, not a mysterious artifact.)
Old 30-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Radiant_Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I doubt anyone would take such "translations" seriously, since one could make them up, and without a way of philologically figuring out what it says - the channeled translations can't be verified.

Seemed to have worked out just fine for Joseph Smith...