Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Guide
Well for me in the UK. The medium i feel has the strongest/accurate link with people is Tony Stockwell and oh my god he has the most amazing gift/sixth sense. Love the guy!! Genuine and down to earth but he is the Bees Knees as far as accuracy goes well to me anyway :)
Old 24-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Master

Just found this on you tube. don't know if its already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6x6...eature=related

Psychics in Suburbia - Maureen Hancock
Old 25-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolfy
Well for me in the UK. The medium i feel has the strongest/accurate link with people is Tony Stockwell and oh my god he has the most amazing gift/sixth sense. Love the guy!! Genuine and down to earth but he is the Bees Knees as far as accuracy goes well to me anyway :)

He seems right on and very personable, laid back.
Old 25-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
Just found this on you tube. don't know if its already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6x6...eature=related

Psychics in Suburbia - Maureen Hancock

Nicely done segments, yet I find it hard to accept as wholly improvised, for some reason. As subjects exhibit no real skepticism- incredulity.. or resistance
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 AM
matt1973

I am very intrigued by the number of people who are impressed by John Edward. To me, he is the very definition of a cold reader and an obvious one at that.

The very rapid fire, scattergun approach using initials and dates is textbook cold reading and when you actually slow his readings down and study them in detail, they are incredibly vague and led by the responses of audience members. He also uses the trick of telling people it is them who is wrong when what he says isn't acknowledged or accepted.

To be honest, you have to take any televised demonstration of mediumship with a large pinch of salt due to the editing that will have unquestionably taken place.

There are very few TV mediums who I consider to be genuine. Tony Stockwell is impressive, as is Gordon Smith, but without having seen them live I wouldn't like say whether either of them are genuine.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM
InCarna

I don't really like TV mediums either, a lot of them are just awful. seems like they're in it for the money more than anything and the whole way they approach it just bugs me and reeks of cold reading! the best "psychics" Ive encountered were people who just have gifts and want to be helpful to others and dont tend to bring attention to themselves at all
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 AM
matt1973

A big part of the problem with TV mediums is the fact that TV shows cost considerable sums of money to produce and the makers of those shows want results. If the medium doesn't deliver a reading the producers consider to be compelling enough, they are going to edit it to appear better than it actually is and they will also edit out all the unconvincing readings completely.

Even footage from theatre shows is going to be heavily edited.

You just can't trust TV footage when it comes to judging a medium's ability.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1973
A big part of the problem with TV mediums is the fact that TV shows cost considerable sums of money to produce and the makers of those shows want results. If the medium doesn't deliver a reading the producers consider to be compelling enough, they are going to edit it to appear better than it actually is and they will also edit out all the unconvincing readings completely.

Even footage from theatre shows is going to be heavily edited.

You just can't trust TV footage when it comes to judging a medium's ability.

Well you make some good points, yet most all these people do stage shows, unedited, and honestly I feel you're mistaken about Edwards authenticity.
Weather material is edited for presentation in beside the point.
Either they are making genuine contact or they're a hoax. IMO

I wholly agree TV is an often gross, horrible showcase for a psychics-mediums talent, and they're presented as a magic/circus act, rather than what they might do in real life. I've never seen any of these folks in real life, perhaps you have.

Of all those I've seen footage of, Edwards seems one of the most sincere-straightforward. It's not a contest anyway.

The cold reading thing..... whatever you wanna believe is your affair.
It's easy to throw rocks, jeer, from the sidelines.

Of course they do TV for the money...
cripes! Who would do such a dog & pony show if they weren't handsomely paid, Jeez marie/

Most such shows I find repulsive, or irritating ... but it's not the mediums fault they're packaged like a sitcom or game show.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 AM
matt1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
Well you make some good points, yet most all these people do stage shows, unedited, and honestly I feel you're mistaken about Edwards authenticity.
Weather material is edited for presentation in beside the point.
Either they are making genuine contact or they're a hoax. IMO

I wholly agree TV is an often gross, horrible showcase for a psychics-mediums talent, and they're presented as a magic/circus act, rather than what they might do in real life. I've never seen any of these folks in real life, perhaps you have.

Of all those I've seen footage of, Edwards seems one of the most sincere-straightforward. It's not a contest anyway.

The cold reading thing..... whatever you wanna believe is your affair.
It's easy to throw rocks, jeer, from the sidelines.

Of course they do TV for the money...
cripes! Who would do such a dog & pony show if they weren't handsomely paid, Jeez marie/

Most such shows I find repulsive, or irritating ... but it's not the mediums fault they're packaged like a sitcom or game show.

We will have agree to disagree regarding John Edward, but I stand by my assertion that, in his TV appearances at least, he is cold reading. James Van Prague is also a cold reader in my opinion.

I have no personal experience of him away from TV, so TV is all I have to judge him by.

I am not saying that mediumship doesn't exist. My position is that the majority of the TV mediums do not appear genuine to me. There are exceptions, but in not cases, I see evidence of both cold reading and hot reading.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Henri77

Noted

You'll observe 95% of the posters here disagree with your take.

Why not start a thread for skeptics ... I've no doubt you'll get lots of support there. (seriously)
I have no time for skeptics-cynics and cannot understand why they don't begin their own threads , as there must be many closet skeptics who'd love to blow off steam. Share your evidence for fakery and others may join in. (in YOUR thread)

This thread isn't intended as a debate however, and I'd rather not defend TV mediums I've never personally witnessed. It's pointless.
I've studied mediumship many yrs and never personally met-seen a cold reader.

Feel free to share any positive comments though, that's the point of the thread.
Closed Thread