Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 17-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Lgtsknchk909

Meditation beginner but easily get distracted

Hello,

I'm a beginner and every time I start to meditate, I easily get distracted. I'm thinking too much. Any tips?
Old 17-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Suspended
Just persevere. Everyone gets distracted.. I recommend starting out with 15-20 mins rather than 30 mins plus. Try and meditate at a regular time as well (e.g. 7am or 7pm everyday). I don't know what kind of meditation you are doing.. Breath awareness is a good one for most, or zen style focusing on a point on the wall.. See what you feel comfortable with.

I am going to write a post with a summary of meditation tips for beginners in the next few weeks.
Old 18-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Knower
My advice is to prepare for your your meditation. Get things done what are playing on your mind, if not at least write them down or make a list.

It does get easier.

Binaural Beats meditation works well for me when I find it hard to focus - lots on youtube
Old 18-11-2014, 02:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgtsknchk909
Hello,

I'm a beginner and every time I start to meditate, I easily get distracted. I'm thinking too much. Any tips?

Yep, distraction is most common, and the important thing with that is not to become disappointed or frustrated, but rather, just become aware that the mind has rambled off and calmly and quietly return to meditation.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Like the others said: persistence, persistence, persistence. I know it doesn't seem like you are making any progress at the beginning. Really, just keep doing it, it will get easier.

In addition to that, stick to a certain time of day. Though ultimately getting into a habit is not the best meditation practice, for beginners it is very helpful in establishing the importance of meditating both to you and others around you. That will reduce internal distractions as well as people interrupting you.

Easier it to pick a time when you are not tired.

The fewer things on your mind the better. I found that after most of your daily chores (work, kids, school, etc) are done is better, you won't be trying to keep a mental checklist of them.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Knower

Quote:
Hello,

A very common thing when you first start to meditate and also for people who meditate alot and just having a tough day.

I read somewhere that you should allow your thoughts to come into mind and then release them to the universe, as if you are speaking to the universe and sharing what comes into your mind. Often it is what is going on in your life--so its important part of your life. Allowing it to come to mind and then releasing it is sort of like sharing it with a good friend--(the universe/God/Goddess/what have you). Soon you'll get to the point that you're so relaxed and are able to meditate without the invasion of what is on your mind.

Also starting out for only a few minutes a day is a good tip and learning to breathe properly too while meditating. Sitting up with your spine straight is good. Sometimes listening to a specific cd is a good help too--one on relaxation or a chakra alignment perhaps? I sometimes listen to drumming or chanting too.

Just don't give up and be patient. It will happen for you.
Old 18-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Newbie ;)

Hi, i'm a beginner too and what it works for me is focusing on breathing at all times and when thoughts come in or external sounds triggers some thoughts i just kinda do a "quick meditation on it" and back to focusing on breathing, also is important to diferentiate that focusing on brething is not taking control of it, just beeing aware of it, hear it, feel it.
Meditation music with headphones is helpfull too for practicing. Having the music all over your ears helps as you have less too get distracted.
I think it's not trying to not focusing or thinking on anything i think that is imposible. It's rather controling it until you let go of it all.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_gabo
Hi, i'm a beginner too and what it works for me is focusing on breathing at all times and when thoughts come in or external sounds triggers some thoughts i just kinda do a "quick meditation on it" and back to focusing on breathing, also is important to diferentiate that focusing on brething is not taking control of it, just beeing aware of it, hear it, feel it.

Sounds good.

Quote:
Meditation music with headphones is helpfull too for practicing. Having the music all over your ears helps as you have less too get distracted.
I think it's not trying to not focusing or thinking on anything i think that is imposible. It's rather controling it until you let go of it all.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Hello,
I'm a beginner and every time I start to meditate,
I easily get distracted. I'm thinking too much. Any tips?
Yes, the mind is so strong.
But, when we love something...where is the distraction?

Why is our mind quiet when we watch a movie, work on our hobby,
hold our new puppy while it's sleeping...?

Focus on something more powerful than the mind...more interesting
than your thoughts...
that thing that captures your attention.

Now it is up to you to find what that is inside you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 18-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Master
Your mind is doing what it is suppose to do. What it does for everyone.

One moment you are on let's say your breath, the next you are off daydreaming about your dog.

Perfect.

As soon as you notice you are no longer on your breath bring it back to your breath.

That is meditation.

It is the moment in between when you noticed you were on your breath and then lost it, is when you touched your inner silence.

Over time that inner silence will grow more and more into your daily life.

So whenever you notice you are off your breath, just gently go back to it at whatever level that may be. Just know it is normal for everyone..

Enjoy!