Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 19-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Experiencer

Epic thought experiment.space and time

sup guys, so i was playing around with visuals in my head and thought of this crazy scenario, keep in mind, i kept the law that says nothing can move faster then light in mind while i visualized this.
so try this for yourselfs and let us know what you think happens and how it happens.

imagine you are floating in space and that you are so huge that the sun and earth are the size of marbles to you,place your hand above the sun and swing your hand towards the earth,how long did it take for your hand to travel from the sun to the earth?like a split second right?in other words it does not take very long at all.from your perspective that is...
now remember that no solid matter can travel faster then light and that it takes about 3 hours for the light emitted from the sun to reeach earth (thats probly not correct,but it does not matter, just roll with it lol)
so now imagine there is a observer floating in space ,he/she is the size of a normal human,and this person is watching everything happen.

now,how long would it take for the large you's hand to reach the earth from the smaller observer's perspective?

i belive that from the small persons perspective your hand would apear to be moving slowly,i say this because if your hand reached earth in a split second,then it would have to travel faster then light to get there,since light takes about 3 hours to reach earth.

and i belive that from the large you's perspective your hand only took about a split second to reach earth.

you all see the where the mind fk is at right?lol.
the large you's hand takes a split second to reach earth,but in the perspective of a smaller person,it takes alot longer,so within that time frame of your hand traveling from the sun to the earth, the larger you only exsperinced a split second of time passing while the smaller person exsperinced hours of time passing.

its like space and time changes itself based on the perspective of each person,in order to keep the speed of light a constant speed.

im intersted in what you all came up with,drop ya comments below :)
Old 20-02-2016, 02:19 AM
Experiencer
The distance from the sun to the earth 0.00001581 light years, so it takes approximately 8 minutes for light to travel from the Suns surface to the earth, not 3 days.

"Everything that occurs—everything that has occurred, is occurring, and ever will occur—is the outward physical manifestation of your innermost thoughts, choices, ideas, and determinations regarding Who You Are and Who You Choose to Be"
CWG
Old 20-02-2016, 05:46 AM
Deactivated Account
Hi dutchiexx .

Quote:
its like space and time changes itself based on the perspective of each person,in order to keep the speed of light a constant speed

That's exactly what happens - as described by Einstein in his General Theory of Relativity published 100 years ago. We've known it for a while.
Old 20-02-2016, 05:58 AM
Ascender
8 minutes and 20 seconds as an average. The earth travels in an elliptical orbit, so at it's closest it only takes 490 seconds and at it's furthest it takes 507 seconds for the light to reach our surface. It takes only one second for the light to bounce off the moon and complete the journey to where we are standing.

But what's really interesting is how long it takes for the light particle to be born and to actually leave the confines of the sun. The photon starts out as gamma radiation and is emitted and absorbed an endless number of times within the inner core of the sun before finally reaching the surface. The photons that we actually see were created 10's of thousands of years ago before leaping from the suns surface and heading in our direction.

That's assuming, of course, that a giant hand doesn't manage to block the sunlight along its way. :)
Old 20-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObServant
Hi dutchiexx .

That's exactly what happens - as described by Einstein in his General Theory of Relativity published 100 years ago. We've known it for a while.
I still like envisioning the giant hand thingy! Where does the person who belongs to the hand stand? What do they eat? What happens when they need to go to the bathroom? How many of them are there?! And lets pray that they don't have similar-sized tennis rackets, we could be heading off toward Pluto lickity-split! :)
Old 20-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Seeker
I understand your point that, even if your calculations were wrong, the perception of time is different depending on which point of view an individual would place himself.

Now, we tend not to consider it enough (I think) but there is something much faster than light itself ... If you doubt about the idea, then try to consider the speed of thought.
Old 20-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraStorm
The distance from the sun to the earth 0.00001581 light years, so it takes approximately 8 minutes for light to travel from the Suns surface to the earth, not 3 days.

ok,lol, firstly i said 3 hours, but i even said thats probly not correct,
i exsplain to you that it is not relevent if my guess was correct or not
i mean,please accually think about what im saying
when eistien said he figired reletivity out,he said he imagined himself flying on a partical of light...now, did all the other scientist tell him "oh, you cant possibly fly on a particle of light!!!thats impossible!!!"
as you can see,its a thought exsperiment.lol
Old 20-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObServant
Hi dutchiexx .

yes i did some digging and found that it is indeed einstein's therory
and i would not say known for 100's of years cause it seems alot of people on here and other forums simply have no idea what im talking about lol.
most people are more foocused on stuff like,"rigid bodies!!its imossible to be that large!!' or "pfff, light takes 8 miins and not 3hrs to reach earth!!!"
those statments might be true but not relevent in this thought exsperiment lool
Old 20-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic born
I still like envisioning the giant hand thingy! Where does the person who belongs to the hand stand? What do they eat? What happens when they need to go to the bathroom? How many of them are there?! And lets pray that they don't have similar-sized tennis rackets, we could be heading off toward Pluto lickity-split! :)

****,not important man :(
its the thought that counts,literally XD
Old 20-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhma
I understand your point that, even if your calculations were wrong, the perception of time is different depending on which point of view an individual would place himself.

Now, we tend not to consider it enough (I think) but there is something much faster than light itself ... If you doubt about the idea, then try to consider the speed of thought.

ah very true,the speed of thought is probly faster then light :)
im just happy you understand the point to the exsperiment lol
i was all cought up in this,i felt if you can crack this code then you can unlock the secrets of space travel and such
turns out this is what einstein calls reletivity and time dialation :(

either way i still find it amazing how time literally changes based on ones perspective,its completly mind blowing for me