Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 30-06-2016, 08:44 PM
confusionsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNemo
They are not existential nihilists, but in many ways they are the opposite of that. They are hedonists and celebrate the physical world, in some cases to the extreme.

But they are metaphysical nihilists. They believe that absolutely nothing of a spiritual nature exists. Which includes Satan. Satanists don't actually believe in Satan or the Christian God. It's merely a label applied to their beliefs to denote they are in opposition to Christianity.
In philosophical terms they are the negation of Christianity. Everything philosophy that Christianity believes in they believe in the negation of that. Hedonism is for example the negation of Christian self-sacrifice.

There is a religion called "Manichaeism". I used a paragraph from Wikipedia.
(hope thats ok to do?)

I wonder if Satanism is derived or at least influenced by This religion?
It makes sense because it was a pagan religion or rather it replaced paganism.
(see the article)
~~~~

Mani's teaching dealt with the origin of evil, by addressing a theoretical part of the problem of evil by denying the omnipotence of God and postulating two opposite powers. Manichaean theology taught a dualistic view of good and evil. A key belief in Manichaeism is that the powerful, though not omnipotent good power (God) was opposed by the semi-eternal evil power (Satan). Humanity, the world and the soul are seen as the by product of the battle between God's proxy, Primal Man, and Satan. The human person is seen as a battleground for these powers: the soul defines the person, but it is under the influence of both light and dark. This contention plays out over the world as well as the human body—neither the Earth nor the flesh were seen as intrinsically evil, but rather possessed portions of both light and dark. Natural phenomena (such as rain) were seen as the physical manifestation of this spiritual contention. Therefore, the Manichaean worldview explained the existence of evil with a flawed creation which God took no role in forming but rather was the result of Satan striking out against God
Old 30-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Look, I'm reading all your comments but to me it all sounds like Christian Soul Sickness. The fundamental question to ask yourself about these ideas is would they exist if Christianity and Judaism didn't exist? Would there still be a Satan or a Satan concept without these religions at all?

It's a tough exercise, but worth it. The easiest way to do it is to look at non-Abrahamic faiths and see how they grapple with the concept of good and evil. Is it less polarized? Does it necessarily have to be polarized or can we evolve to some better conception that is less of a dichotomy? What is the value, if any, of a Satan concept? I don't see one.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Oh, and trust me I know how you feel. I heard a recording of Satan through my window the other day. I can't explain it other than it is some technology; it sounds very fake and dramatic.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme1981
The fundamental question to ask yourself about these ideas is would they exist if Christianity and Judaism didn't exist? Would there still be a Satan or a Satan concept without these religions at all?
Personally, I doubt it.

Quote:
The easiest way to do it is to look at non-Abrahamic faiths and see how they grapple with the concept of good and evil. Is it less polarized?
I think the point is that only the Abrahamic faiths believe in a micromanaging god. Look how far it can go: Sikhs, many Muslims, and some early Christians say men must grow a beard, while Baha'i say they mustn't!

Pagans think that moral behaviour is natural. The word "good" is used in the same way when we speak of a good book, a good dog, or a good person. People are good if they behave in a way that leads to a happy life in the society into which they are born. I don't need a "Satan" to tell me to develop myself: that's what sensible people do. And I certainly don't need one to tell me to live like Nietzsche, who went mad, or Ayn Rand, who quarreled with everyone!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme1981

The fundamental question to ask yourself about these ideas is would they exist if Christianity and Judaism didn't exist? Would there still be a Satan or a Satan concept without these religions at all?

It's a tough exercise, but worth it. The easiest way to do it is to look at non-Abrahamic faiths and see how they grapple with the concept of good and evil. Is it less polarized? Does it necessarily have to be polarized or can we evolve to some better conception that is less of a dichotomy? What is the value, if any, of a Satan concept? I don't see one.

Hi Justme1981,

And the great sages of the past did grapple with this, even if there is a generalized polarization implied by 'Eastern' vs. 'Western' (Abrahamic) approaches.

Yes, absolutely, or at least likely, but perhaps with different names -

Because ignorance (whatever hemisphere) is a fundamental condition of the entire Cosmic reality we find ourselves in (and of) which could also be seen as a Hemishere itself (although lower). As such, truth/ignorance is an apparent polarisation, an apparent universal dichotomy.

It is because it is apparent, a condition - implies that it may be transformed by the very means which created this condition, which is superior to, subsumes, and transcends it in the first place.

The Manichean idea that God and 'Satan' are equal and opposed powers is simply a misconceived ascription based on a superficial (mis)perception of that surface reality in which ignorance and inconscience is seen as a force in-and-of-itself - not as it is really: a conditional aspect, or projection of Source, e.g., Consciousness.

Ignorance is a condition which may be further perpetuated by ignorant cognition, and it also creates the possibility of evil as a willful (not simply conditional) perpetuation. This is where the misconception comes from, which is itself an ignorant formation/cognition.

This is related to the eventual failure of Materialism which sees inconscience as the source of consciousness, when really, inconscience is a conditional aspect of Consciousness.

Having that as a premise, for me, obviates any practical interest in, or necessity for Satanism, however it may be construed.

~ J

Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Seeker
Satanism has become far more advanced than it's being given credit for here. I recommend a book called The Invention of Satanism, which can easily be found on Amazon, as well as the works of Aquino. Today, esoteric Satanism is the statistically most likely form, whether pure Satanism., Luciferianism, Setianism, left handed Thelema, etc. Most are not nihilists and hold a rather positive and meaningful worldview. It's also inherently existential, rather than nihilistic. In recent decades it's evolved more away from Christianity and looked into its eldrich roots, such as the original version of Satan, the god Set. Most are also not hedonists and tend to be esoterically inclined. Xeper!
Old 22-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khallianen
LOL!

That is a label I do not agree with.
Being true to one self, having faith in your beliefs and your gifts/abilities is the furthest thing from being a satanist.

Plus, if you are a satanist don't you have to believe in satan which would mean you also believe in the Judeo-Christian God who supposedly created him.
Actually this statement is false. Most Satanist branches have usually nothing to do with Jeudo-Christanity. Nor do they actually worship Satan, Lucifer, etc. Hell, some are even atheist. There is one sect that believes to be true in oneself, which contradicts Jeudo-christan belief. I saw this one interesting documentary on the history of Satan, you can view on youtube called the History of Satan. It explains some of the branches as well as santic folk lore. Like, I didn't know hell was a new concept. That idea was created by Christians.

I wouldn't consider myself a proper satanist, since I never really converted and just created my own one person religon that has elements of Satanism, wiccan, greek mythology, paganism, as well as all the religons in between. However when it comes to tarot, the Devil is my protector and the goat is my one of spirit animals.
Old 22-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Experiencer

I reject all religions, at least the one's I'm familiar with, anyway. I'm convinced that following the "Golden Rule" and heeding the inner self in unconditional love begins from within...which goes against Christianity. I don't know anything about Satanism and whether it jibes with what I've learned and experienced or not...and I really don't care. For me it's not about "beliefs", but about the love and understanding within and that which results because of it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Suspended
Master
A more English translation of Satanist would be Enemyist since the Hebrew word HaS'tan is literally TheEnemy and where we get The Shaitan or the Satan or the human being enemy. A particular satan can play both sides of what is known as good and evil. This satan masquerades as good but is trying to plant it's SEED of the corruption. Only an original Satan can get rid of this puny Satan or at least shut him/her up long enough for other members of the Family of truth to realise.
Just a brief opinion. I'll head back to the sideline and watch this mature.