Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Guide

Why Do Christians insist meditation is "dangerous"?

I have read that meditation "opens one up to demonic forces"... As someone who meditates every day I find this assertion ridiculous. In the context of Christian theology, meditation is prayer. Outside of Christian tradition, as with Buddhism, meditation involves stilling the constant chatter we all have inside our heads to allow clarity of perspective to emerge. Is there any reason beyond simple superstition to impute "demonic activity" to meditation practices?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Newbie ;)

The answer is 'no'. Unfortunately some Christians, and some from other religions, cannot understand that things outside of their teaching can be good for you. It scares them so they bring up the old demonic threat. Science, and personal meditation practice, show us that meditation is good. It has nothing to do with demonic forces lol.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Master
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, oh Lord my rock and my redeemer."- Psalms 19
The Bible

"Whatever is true,
whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute,
"Finally bretheren, if there is anything of excellence,
if there is anything worthy of praise,
think, (dwell), upon these things.

There is plenty more if you look, also, about meditation.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 06-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared.L
I have read that meditation "opens one up to demonic forces"... As someone who meditates every day I find this assertion ridiculous. In the context of Christian theology, meditation is prayer. Outside of Christian tradition, as with Buddhism, meditation involves stilling the constant chatter we all have inside our heads to allow clarity of perspective to emerge. Is there any reason beyond simple superstition to impute "demonic activity" to meditation practices?

Because they fear what they know not, thus they speak from ignorance/inexperience and not knowledge/experience.

How many meditating demonic Tibetan Monks have you heard/read about? Proof is in the taste of the pudding, if you don't taste it for yourself, you cannot know how it actually taste, as another's experience can never substitute for your own.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Deactivated Account
Xenophobia...
Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Quote:
I know, right?

Ignorance....fear? Who knows!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Within Silence
Because they fear what they know not, thus they speak from ignorance/inexperience and not knowledge/experience.

How many meditating demonic Tibetan Monks have you heard/read about? Proof is in the taste of the pudding, if you don't taste it for yourself, you cannot know how it actually taste, as another's experience can never substitute for your own.

Yes, true. Sometimes I think that people would just reject everything that they do not understand completely.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Yes, true. Sometimes I think that people would just reject everything that they do not understand completely.

"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about." - Wayne Dyer

The key word being "know", to know, not believe what others have said, but to know through ones own direct experience, which is the foundation of the Perennial Philosophy. Thus, speaking from the baseless foundation of a non-experiential opinion is not wisdom.

“Knowledge is a function of being. When there is a change in the being of the knower, there is a corresponding change in the nature and amount of knowing.”
― Aldous Huxley, The Perennial Philosophy
Old 07-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Master
I'm sure there is a tradition of meditation in Christian practices.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Seeker

How will you ever make contact with source when you keep listening to the chatter in your mind? Meditation is a way to tame your monkey mind. By the way everybody meditates. If you just stare at something without listening to the bubbling thoughts that pop up in your mind you are meditating. I think it is impossible to not meditate. So we are ALL sinners and we will all go to hell.
Cheers, just trust and enjoy your life.