Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I was taught Jesus was said to have been crucified on Friday not Saturday? They call it Good Friday....
Good point. The homily doesn't say that He was crucified on Saturday. My error. I changed it in my post. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 15-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I think it is actually an extremely profound statement.
"In every religion, there is love. But, love has no religion." - Jallal al Din Rumi

Purportedly....having a tough time finding exactly where that comes from within Rumi's writings...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi

Last edited by Shabda : 15-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 15-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabda
"In every religion, there is love. But, love has no religion." - Jallal al Din Rumi

I must disagree with the first part of this quote, In some religion there's hate, not love, unfortunately. I've not heard this before, mybe there's more to the story, time to Google Rumi
Old 15-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Master
Quote:
I must disagree with the first part of this quote, In some religion there's hate, not love, unfortunately. I've not heard this before, mybe there's more to the story, time to Google Rumi

I have to say that that is YOUR interpretation of religions, and while I do not necessarily claim that none exists, you still own that interpretation. And none of that makes what he said untrue either. There is absolutely no reason that BOTH cannot be true at the same time. None. It is our interpretations of things that we believe that we understand and know that is limited and need to be broken apart so that a greater degree of truth can form in the old understanding's place.

Rumi spoke a great deal about that specifically too, plus the fact that no one can really say exactly what he did or did not mean by those words, because to know that you would need to ask him in person and receive an answer. All else is simply our own attempt to interpret in a way that we can understand. It is worth being able to discern between all of these. But that too is a process that few, if any, attain in a single step.

In any case I will completely agree that there is "more to the story." It is, in my opinion, always a worthy goal to set out trying to learn more about the entirety of such stories!
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 15-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Master
I think it is actually an extremely profound statement.

Found this one while looking at Rumi, I think you will like it.

“Love has no culture, boundaries, race and religion. It is pure and beautiful like early morning sunrise falling in a lake.”

Santosh Kalwar.
Old 15-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Master
Quote:
I have to say that that is YOUR interpretation of religions, and while I do not necessarily claim that none exists, you still own that interpretation. And none of that makes what he said untrue either. There is absolutely no reason that BOTH cannot be true at the same time. None. It is our interpretations of things that we believe that we understand and know that is limited and need to be broken apart so that a greater degree of truth can form in the old understanding's place.

Rumi spoke a great deal about that specifically too, plus the fact that no one can really say exactly what he did or did not mean by those words, because to know that you would need to ask him in person and receive an answer. All else is simply our own attempt to interpret in a way that we can understand. It is worth being able to discern between all of these. But that too is a process that few, if any, attain in a single step.

In any case I will completely agree that there is "more to the story." It is, in my opinion, always a worthy goal to set out trying to learn more about the entirety of such stories!

' I have to say that that is YOUR interpretation of religions '

Yes it is my interpretation but based on experience
Old 15-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Master
Quote:
' I have to say that that is YOUR interpretation of religions '

Yes it is my interpretation but based on experience

Of course it is, BUT, that hardly means that what you have perceived was necessarily accurate either. There are a great many levels to every single thing that happens or that is thought. While you might be correct to some degree ( I am not discounting your perceptions nor experiences at all, I mean to instead, suggest that there might easily be far more to them than you are aware) that doesn't mean you have a complete understanding of those events or even of yourself.

What about the individuals that gave you those experiences? Are not the events in their lives that they may have been reacting to also a part of this? That doesn't mean that they necessarily had any right to act that way or speak that way, only that this is just one example if the things that have a direct effect that we may be completely unaware of. There would certainly be a great many more in many situations. Your perceptions are valid, but they are still not necessarily complete either, therefore the understanding could not possibly be complete.

Always more to learn! And in regard to religions, the original person, whomever they might be (there is ALWAYS one) whether Ioesus, Muhammad, Moses, Mahabad (the first prophet), Zarathustra (from whom all monotheistic religions sprang, including Judaism and the others that emanated from it) or Krishna, or Arjuna, or any other mystic that had an inner experience that led to his describing it to others, which is the start of religions, and even going much further back into tribal groups and their shamans, they each said what they said, but later those same words would be interpreted in many different ways which led to breakups etc.

The point is that people see and understand things differently, but that never means that any of them have the complete understanding of that thing. It is ongoing and it is the same for each individual that lives today. There is truly no end to having a greater degree of understanding about spirituality in general, and each and every religion too. If there were an end then Heaven would be a fairly boring place to be, and no one would be content there. Learning never ceases. And there is always a greater understanding to be had, so long as the individual has enough interest to seek it out.
Rumi
Old 16-02-2019, 01:30 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:

Purportedly....having a tough time finding exactly where that comes from within Rumi's writings...

It saddens me at times when I see religion get in the way.

I make attempts to first treat people with Love and acceptance. Since that is how my Creator has welcomed me.
This is my hardest road!
Old 16-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Master
Quote:
It saddens me at times when I see religion get in the way.

I make attempts to first treat people with Love and acceptance. Since that is how my Creator has welcomed me.
This is my hardest road!

' I make attempts to first treat people with Love and acceptance.'

That's how SOME religions fail imo. You only have to look around the world to see the lack of love and acceptance that certain Religions have for followers of different faiths, the hatred is obvious, so once again I must disagree with Rumi saying that in every Religion there is love because it isn't true.

Love has no religion
Old 16-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Experiencer

[quote=Shabda]I have to say that that is YOUR interpretation of religions, and while I do not necessarily claim that none exists, you still own that interpretation. And none of that makes what he said untrue either. There is absolutely no reason that BOTH cannot be true at the same time. None. It is our interpretations of things that we believe that we understand and know that is limited and need to be broken apart so that a greater degree of truth can form in the old understanding's place.

In any case I will completely agree that there is "more to the story." It is, in my opinion, always a worthy goal to set out trying to learn more about the entirety of such stories![/QUDa

I agree with this post.

People who espouse interfaith often say that all religions teach basically the same ethical principles.

Yet others point out various scriptures that seem to express otherwise, and they say that many of the followers of those religions embody the teachings which condone and encourage hatred and even violence.

A quote from the Dalai Lama is, 'Every major religion of the world has similar ideas of love and the same goal of benefiting humanity through spiritual practice.'

It may be a matter of one's deeper perspective. Some people, because of their own personal inclinations, stress the similarities among religions. That would be the esoteric interpretation. The exoteric interpretation emphasizes differences.