Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 16-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Seeker
Just to add, Dogen's own teacher in China taught the power of the present moment, even as the only moment, yet this did not mean that there is no future result from practice.

For each moment the ultimate is immanent in things insofar as they demonstrate or reflect ultimate truth, but such truth is the truth of impermanence (Hee-Jin Kim)

Hee-Jin Kim adds that there is eternal truth and any ephemeral circumstance can demonstrate it to us, but we cannot grasp it as a concept. It can grasp us, but we can never grasp it in any final way.

It all makes me feel a bit dizzy. Sometimes I think that we must have a good sense of humour, especially to be able to genuinely laugh at ourselves.
Old 16-02-2024, 06:18 PM
Coming, going, the waterbirds
don't leave a trace
don't follow a path

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-02-2024, 07:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Coming, going, the waterbirds
don't leave a trace
don't follow a path

Love it, short and sweet yet so deep....
Old 16-02-2024, 08:51 PM
Master

Hopefully I can post this here without interrupting the theme of the thread. If not, I can post it in the 'Zen Anybody' thread.
Well I 'stumbled' on this one, to borrow Dogensoto's phrase, this morning. It is a stunning teaching and it is so strikingly beautiful.
/\ So profound. Hope you listen.

Nothing Special (ZEN: Right Practice) by Shunryu Suzuki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRjIo_baQAk&t=306s

__________________________________________________ ________

__________________________________________________ __________

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 16-02-2024, 09:43 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Love it, short and sweet yet so deep....

Yes, invokes the heart of Dogen's essay/sermon "Uji" or Being/Time. Being is time, time is Being. Time does not just fly by!
Old 16-02-2024, 11:40 PM
In spring wind
peach blossoms
begin to come apart.
Doubts do not grow
branches and leaves.

Dogen

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 17-02-2024, 06:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogensoto
Yes, invokes the heart of Dogen's essay/sermon "Uji" or Being/Time. Being is time, time is Being. Time does not just fly by!

Yes there's different ways of looking at it... To me it's referring to freedom from a fixed mind with all it's attachments....
Old 17-02-2024, 10:11 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Yes there's different ways of looking at it.

That is the beauty of Reality.

Another Dogen poem written, according to Steven Heine, as expositions of Mahayana teaching.

Petals of the peach blossom
Unfolding in the spring breeze,
Sweeping aside all doubts
Amid the distractions of
Leaves and branches.

Stephen Heine adds a footnote that draws attention to a story of a zen master gaining enlightenment through observing the spring peach blossoms in bloom. Dogen, reading about this, writes that he himself gained enlightenment upon seeing them fall. Various ways of "seeing"

Dogen also wrote that "weeds grow even though we dislike them, flowers fall even though we love them". Grace can transform weeds or flowers, falling or growing. I think our minds so often try to create a "perfect" state of being in which we can find rest.

Thomas Merton:-

The spiritual life is something that people worry about when they are so busy with something else they think they ought to be spiritual. Spiritual life is guilt. Up here in the woods is seen the New Testament: that is to say, the wind comes through the trees and you breathe it.

(from "Day of a Stranger")
Old 17-02-2024, 10:20 AM
Seeker
Just to add.......thank you Sky for your post 4 on this thread. I actually logged on back then to simply say that my joining this forum again had been a mistake and I was leaving. But that your post was made has kept me here.

As I may have mentioned, I do have some mental health issues. Nothing really serious but various moods can descend from nowhere.

Anyway, thanks. Some nice poems being posted.
Old 17-02-2024, 10:52 AM
Master

Glad you are here Dogensoto and created this thread, I find it very inspiring.

I won’t even stop
at the valley’s brook
for fear that
my shadow
may flow into the world.

– Dogen

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge