Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 06-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Newbie ;)

I think I have found it .

I'm sure everyone has had the problem of knowing they were looking for something , but they had no idea what it was or where to look for it .
When I found this forum and started reading the threads posted here, I realized that Wicca sounds like what I have been looking for. What made me sit up and take notice was a couple of replies from some members here with "master" under their names .
this one in part by norseman
Quote:
one thing you may come across in your "travels" is Christian Wicca. Obviously, this is total nonsense, the two are totally incompatible

and this one in part by , Jenny Crow
Quote:
To be a practitioner of Wicca you would have to walk away from your Christian God

I studied the bible for a few years looking for something that others say they have found , but to be honest that book read like a badly written fairy tale . I tried a couple of other organised relidgions and still got nothing .
I lost my only daughter to sudden death ,when a drunk driver crossed the line , a few years after her death I was talking with a woman who had lost a son the year before, also a sudden death, this woman was going on and on about how the death of her son had made her christain faith stronger. We cameto am impasse when it cameout that I had no faith before my daughters passing and still had none . We parted ways and I have given little to no thought about thetopic since then .
But while reading these threads a 'something' started to dawn on me that this may be what it is I am looking for.
I ordered
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner , by Scott Cunningham

one of the books that has been refered to by a few 'masters and put two others on hold , untill they are delivered I will continue on with reading these threads.
The reason I didn't 'go to a book store' is because the closet book is about 70 miles away from where I live in the mountains of South Western US .
Old 06-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Master

Hello Schollekid

So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter, it must have been so very difficult for you.

Scott Cunningham's book is a good book for you to start off with. And if you have any questions we will try our best to answer them for you

Blessings,
Jenny Crow
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Master
The "Master" thing underneath posts is only a rank that is linked to how many postings someone has on this forum. The admins can make up the names for that. On my forum I don't use "Master" but "Forum Fan" or "Forum Columnist".
So don't be misled or intimidated by that, it doesn't mean those people are Masters at anything. If they had posted 1000 nonsense postings, they would be called "Master" as well.

These 'titles' had me confused as well when I first got here. It is very misleading, and in my opinion bad choosing, as it suggests that some people are really wise. But it has NOTHING to do with that whatsoever!

Did I just say that? I just noticed I got "Master" ranking as well... hmm... Okay let's start again. Some people with "Master" underneath there name, are smart. Haha.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Master
Hi Schollekid - it is true that there is a wealth of knowledge/experience in these threads and a variety of different points of view but, don't be put off by that. Within the broad path of Wicca [ an recent off-shoot of the ancient tree of witchcraft ], there are individual paths that you might be attracted to. You will also find major distinctions, for example, between British and American wicca - the British variety being much closer to the root, British Traditional Witchcraft. It would also be worth your while to peruse the Pagan threads too.

Just out of interest, some Brit. pagan/wiccan groups are erecting new stone circles around the land using the methods of our ancestors. We are alive and well, and we do not hide away.
e.g. Sentry Circle - built in the last few years
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...psdqtmpmum.jpg
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Master
As for Wicca, just step on the path if it appeals to you and enjoy it! It will bring you a great many things.
Find your own way in it. It can be far freer, less restricting, than religion, but there are forms and/or covens of wicca that are just as restricting.
When I was still busy with witchcraft (Hedgewitch) I came across wiccas in covens who weren't allowed to do this that and the other. I don't like that at all. I'm a free spirit. But for some these rules and regulation may offer safety and security.
You will have to find out for yourself what suits you.
As for letting go of your Christian god ... I don't really agree with that. But it takes time to find your own way with that too. In the end everything is One. That's why it doesn't really matter at all.
Letting go of what church tells you, yes. Absolutely! Church basically tells you that they have the spiritual power and connection to God, and that you have to rely on church to connect to God. So not true!!
Letting go of God, not necessary. God, Goddess, Source, doesn't really matter all that much what you call it. Everything is Source.

Get some books in, library is a great place to start, because not every author will appeal to you. You can also use the "Look Inside" option on Amazon to find out if one appeals or not.

I myself am not keen on Scott Cunningham. Something about him doesn't resonate with me. The 1st two books on wicca I got in were by non famous authors, cost me just some $2-3 dollars, but helped me so much!
Just look around. Now that you're tuned into it, your inner guidance will bring the right sources on your path. (Law of Attraction).
Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Master

[quote=FairyCrystal
Find your own way in it. It can be far freer, less restricting, than religion, but there are forms and/or covens of wicca that are just as restricting.
When I was still busy with witchcraft (Hedgewitch) I came across wiccas in covens who weren't allowed to do this that and the other. I don't like that at all. I'm a free spirit. But for some these rules and regulation may offer safety and security..[/QUOTE]

FairyCrystal,

Wicca IS a religion; the deities of Wicca are a God and Goddess; some practitioners and groups call them The Lord and The Lady, others follow specific pantheons. Some covens have restrictions, usually concerning working against the Threefold Law. By the way, I'm not trying to be rude here, but people who follow the Wiccan path are called Wiccans (not wiccas)

Anyway, if you become a Wiccan and your deities are The Lord and The Lady it is not recommended to also honour/worship the Christian God - doesn't work.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow;

Quote:
Anyway, if you become a Wiccan and your deities are The Lord and The Lady it is not recommended to also honour/worship the Christian God - doesn't work.

Jenny Crow there are those that do worship the Christian God. My question is - how does one work with a Christian patriarchy God that doesn't condone the worship of any other deities but Himself? I mean, Wicca sees two deities a Goddess and a God or Lord and Lady - neither are greater than the other and are always in balance (Yin and Yang). So, how does a Christian God that claims to be the only one the "source" of all things worshipped in Wicca without a Goddess? Is it possible for Wicca to be another patriarchal religion? I definitely don't see it nor I agree with this concept of "Christian Wicca".

Quills Quiver

Last edited by Lepus : 06-12-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Master

I'm going to be to the point and probably "not nice" here - these people are deluding themselves - how can you possibly worship two totally different sets of gods? It just does not make sense (to me, anyway).

I have to say, though, that there are Witches (NOT Wiccans) who, when working their spells WILL call on the Christian god. The Witches of earlier centuries and some of the Cunning people learned to incorporate the Christian god into their workings of healing and also blasting. The bible is full of paragraphs and psalms that can be used for good or ill.

Wicca never has been a patriarchal religion and lets hope it never becomes one.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Master
I am of the Cunning Folk, my "deity" as such is Gaia, Mother Earth. The medieval Cunning Folk, during the Witch Trials, were often hidden inside the church as "priests" - this is the source of "warlock - oath breaker, but the oath being broken was their oath as a priest. These hidden Cunning Folk used the bible as a source of incantations/spells.
Christianity is NOT compatible with wicca/witchcraft because of the witchcraft component even in wicca. If you claim to be wiccan but do not perform witchcraft, then you are not Wiccan !
So, Scholliekid, your path is out there for you to find and it will make it's presence felt when the time is right. We Cunning Folk call it the "Cunning Fire" - the Calling.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Hello Schollekid

So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter, it must have been so very difficult for you.

Scott Cunningham's book is a good book for you to start off with. And if you have any questions we will try our best to answer them for you

Blessings,
Jenny Crow
first thing,
Thank you for your condolences .
second
I didn't plan on posting and running , :)
My apologies , I got tangled up in setting up a new computer .

The book hasn't showed up yet , but when I do get into it , I'm sure I'll have questions .
It's good to know I have some where I can come to ask them . Thanks.