Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Eelco

In the Buddhist traditions I am aware off. The texts used as a guide have produced the results promised to many many practitioners. These practitioners then vouched and explained the teachings.

In explaining thus they described pitfalls, teachings that were helpful and teachings that don't do all that much in terms of practice, but are somehow comforting.

Anyway these practitioners, often monks, could like the Buddha himself guide students to where the teachings point to.

Over the years there were times where near but all knowledge on how to practice was lost. People like zen-master Dogen, Ajahn Mun, Mahasi Sayadaw and many many more. Have taken the teachings in the texts, the suggestions of their teachers and found what needed to be let go in order to find the end of the cause of suffering.

This is not laying claim to any true meaning, but a wise consideration of the path one wishes to travel, taking guidebooks and stories of those who traveled the road before to heart in order to avoid pitfalls and dangers that could have been avoided.

Leaving plenty of room for experimentation.
The loose interpretations I see written in this sub-forum look like partially completed maps with the missing roads drawn in from imagination and colorful fantasy.

Take care
With Love
Eelco
Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
In the Buddhist traditions I am aware off. The texts used as a guide have produced the results promised to many many practitioners. These practitioners then vouched and explained the teachings.

In explaining thus they described pitfalls, teachings that were helpful and teachings that don't do all that much in terms of practice, but are somehow comforting.

Anyway these practitioners, often monks, could like the Buddha himself guide students to where the teachings point to.

Over the years there were times where near but all knowledge on how to practice was lost. People like zen-master Dogen, Ajahn Mun, Mahasi Sayadaw and many many more. Have taken the teachings in the texts, the suggestions of their teachers and found what needed to be let go in order to find the end of the cause of suffering.

This is not laying claim to any true meaning, but a wise consideration of the path one wishes to travel, taking guidebooks and stories of those who traveled the road before to heart in order to avoid pitfalls and dangers that could have been avoided.

Leaving plenty of room for experimentation.
The loose interpretations I see written in this sub-forum look like partially completed maps with the missing roads drawn in from imagination and colorful fantasy.

Take care
With Love
Eelco

I am trying.... honest
Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Eelco

I think I know you do.

This was written with those that loosely infer meaning.
Instead of traveling the path to it's destination.

I don't mind they take detours and would even agree that some wanderingstarrs bring one to beautiful and previously uncharted territories.

I'm just saying these beautiful sceneries are not the destination the Buddha appears to have reached.

With Love
Eelco
Old 10-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
If you do little searching around and read some Buddhist teachings on ' Upadana ' you might see that your idea of attachments are not the same as what Buddhism teaches, but that's if your really interested....

Can you explain what you're talking about in a way that reflects your real-life understanding? - not your interpretation of texts, but the the way it's real in your life?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Eelco

In what way does real life correspond to Buddhism if we ignore what the Buddha taught as his teachings were passed down?

Or is it that we cannot talk about the Buddha's teachings of we haven't experienced for ourselves what he supposedly talked about.

The question, although not asked to me is a trap, designed to trick a participant into doubting the teachings by way of elevating so called real life experiences over what Buddhism promises.

How's that for right speech.

Sigh.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Can you explain what you're talking about in a way that reflects your real-life understanding? - not your interpretation of texts, but the the way it's real in your life?

' You don't have to understand everything. Sometimes it is not meant to be understood, just accepted. ' but....

Yes Gem I can explain how Buddhas teachings on attachments can be applied in real life ( my life) and actually work for me.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
In what way does real life correspond to Buddhism if we ignore what the Buddha taught as his teachings were passed down?

Or is it that we cannot talk about the Buddha's teachings of we haven't experienced for ourselves what he supposedly talked about.

The question, although not asked to me is a trap, designed to trick a participant into doubting the teachings by way of elevating so called real life experiences over what Buddhism promises.

How's that for right speech.

Sigh.

I know the trick Eelco, and I am not playing the game
Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Experiencer
I'm sorry but I've lost track of what's been said in this lengthy topic. "Find the cause of Suffering".(Dukkha)

"Dukkha" is translated as "painful feeling, which may be bodily or mental" and also "refers to "the unsatisfactory nature and the general insecurity of all conditioned phenomena."(source= Nyanatiloka Buddhist dictionary)

It has also been translated as :

Quote:

Disturbance, irritation, dejection, worry, despair, fear, dread, anguish, anxiety; vulnerability, injury, inability, inferiority; sickness, aging, decay of body and faculties, senility; pain/pleasure; excitement/boredom; deprivation/excess; desire/frustration, suppression; longing/aimlessness; hope/hopelessness; effort, activity, striving/repression; loss, want, insufficiency/satiety; love/lovelessness, friendlessness; dislike, aversion/attraction; parenthood/childlessness; submission/rebellion; decision/indecisiveness, vacillation, uncertainty.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/...a1/dukkha.html

We often have these feelings when we try to cling to permanence and "I", "me", "mine" in one way or another, instead of recognising the impermanence of everything .

_/|\_
Old 10-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
I'm sorry but I've lost track of what's been said in this lengthy topic. "Find the cause of Suffering".(Dukkha)

"Dukkha" is translated as "painful feeling, which may be bodily or mental" and also "refers to "the unsatisfactory nature and the general insecurity of all conditioned phenomena."(source= Nyanatiloka Buddhist dictionary)

It has also been translated as :

We often have these feelings when we try to cling to permanence and "I", "me", "mine" in one way or another, instead of recognising the impermanence of everything .

_/|\_

Yes, this is generally true, but I wouldn't consider that a simplistic answer to the dilemma of human suffering, even though it's valid in principle, because it isn't an objective phenomena - it's completely subjective. Hence, taking the teaching as if it refers to something objectively true is a fundamental misinterpretation of what refers to the individually subjective experience. This is why making a sensible interpretation of texts isn't the 'real deal', so to speak, whereas recognising the truth of the issue as it pertains to your life is. However, in my experience, speaking from a true-to-life perspective isn't widely accepted in the Buddhist discussion forum (I mean the wider discourse), and we become reduced to repeating suttas and conforming to a homogeneous objectivity.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' You don't have to understand everything. Sometimes it is not meant to be understood, just accepted. ' but....

Yes Gem I can explain how Buddhas teachings on attachments can be applied in real life ( my life) and actually work for me.

Ok, but you prefer not to, and neither should you if you'd rather not.