Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM
eljockey101

Why is there something rather than nothing?

A classic. What do you think?
Old 13-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Master
A really BIG classic.
Is there more to this thread?
Old 13-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Master
I don't get it ????
Old 13-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Ecthalion

It is THE question.

Religions will tell you "because God created it." But that doesn't explain "why".

Scientists will say "because of the Big Bang." Again, this says how but not why.

Nobody knows. And science will never tell us, so your guess is as good as mine. Maybe it's all a computer game being played for the amusement of some higher being. Or maybe it's all a dream and one day you'll wake up in a totally different reality. Or maybe the Goblins did it.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:16 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
It is THE question.

Religions will tell you "because God created it." But that doesn't explain "why".

Scientists will say "because of the Big Bang." Again, this says how but not why.

Nobody knows. And science will never tell us, so your guess is as good as mine. Maybe it's all a computer game being played for the amusement of some higher being. Or maybe it's all a dream and one day you'll wake up in a totally different reality. Or maybe the Goblins did it.

This popular question of some hundreds of years has been satisfactorily answered. Too much to go into really, but one might look into the cosmological argument, causality and even the laws of thermodynamics to really - just come to the same conclusion as what the Bible says. But the trip while rather scenic is worthwhile.

Christianity says, God created (force) the heavens (space) and the earth (matter).

And as far as I can understand, Christianity, welcomes rational investigation into the universe, especially because the universe is rational, that is, it has a cause, purpose and meaning.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Christianity says, God created (force) the heavens (space) and the earth (matter).
With all due respect, Christianity says no such thing. Force, time and space are not mentioned. One could just as easily substitute any words for the ones you have chosen, thus:-

God created (drank) the heavens (strawberry) and the earth (vanilla).
Old 13-03-2013, 09:33 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
With all due respect, Christianity says no such thing. Force, time and space are not mentioned. One could just as easily substitute any words for the ones you have chosen, thus:-

God created (drank) the heavens (strawberry) and the earth (vanilla).

Looks like I struck a nerve, but with all due respect - of course.

Here's a great video, one of the greatest atheist mouthpieces known today and a rather new Catholic apologist. Hitchens vs D'Souza worth the viewing, for anyone wishing to understand more about the battle that exists for the beginning : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V85OykSDT8

A very rational and civil debate.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Looks like I struck a nerve, but with all due respect - of course.
Haahhahahaha. No, you haven't struck a nerve. I just object to the way people change religions to fit their own viewpoint/beliefs. That is why I have no religion (although I am not an atheist). No religion matches my beliefs. I could pretend that they say different to what they actually say, as some do. Or I could say, "I don't believe this, therefore I am not a Christian (insert any religion you do not believe)."

Believe whatever you want, but if you change the doctrine of a faith to fit your beliefs you are no longer a follower of that faith, as I see it.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:49 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Haahhahahaha. No, you haven't struck a nerve. I just object to the way people change religions to fit their own viewpoint/beliefs. That is why I have no religion (although I am not an atheist). No religion matches my beliefs. I could pretend that they say different to what they actually say, as some do. Or I could say, "I don't believe this, therefore I am not a Christian (insert any religion you do not believe)."

Believe whatever you want, but if you change the doctrine of a faith to fit your beliefs you are no longer a follower of that faith, as I see it.

Well great, because I am not in the mood really to argue at this point. I will share why I believe. This is very brief, but as I said before there is a scenic route one can take, and this pretty much sums up two principals.

With respect to the first and second laws of thermodynamics which have never contradicted one another in observable nature, the universe is finite. And that is where the kalam cosmological argument is relevant. (1) Whatever had a beginning had a cause. (2) The universe had a beginning. (3) Therefore, the universe had a cause.

God is the uncaused first cause. Or He who causes to become. Simple enough for me, but again, their are scenic routes.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Well great, because I am not in the mood really to argue at this point. I will share why I believe. This is very brief, but as I said before there is a scenic route one can take, and this pretty much sums up two principals.

With respect to the first and second laws of thermodynamics which have never contradicted one another in observable nature, the universe is finite. And that is where the kalam cosmological argument is relevant. (1) Whatever had a beginning had a cause. (2) The universe had a beginning. (3) Therefore, the universe had a cause.

God is the uncaused first cause. Or He who causes to become. Simple enough for me, but again, their are scenic routes.

No one says the universe had a begining, that's not what cosmological big bang theory says, nor does quantum mechanics.