Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 16-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Knower
Difference between meditation and visualisation

Hi there guys

I hope someone can give some insights on this. I do a lot of visualisation work. Healing light, working through the chakras, and so on. But I have always understood this to be different from meditation in that meditation is when you try to switch off your thoughts by focussing on a word or an image or your breathing or something like that. Am I misunderstanding what meditation is? Is visualisation also meditation?

Thanks
Old 16-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Suspended
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFlower
Am I misunderstanding what meditation is? Is visualisation also meditation?

Thanks

Hi SadFlower

Some will say that when one meditates one doesn’t know they are . What I mean by this is that there is likened to a detachment from what you are that is mindful . You lose the awareness of the thinking mind, that houses visualizations and such likes .

So many strands of meditation out there that individuals will associate with . For some relaxing is mediation, going for a run is mediation, doing the house work or painting a picture or writing some poetry is meditation .

There are no set rules as such all there is _ is different states of mind had .

Don’t worry about it just let come what comes, over 20 years of meditation for myself I have come to understand that its all good (lol) .

One can only be within a particular state or frame of mind to that which they are in each moment .

I suppose being at peace with that can be beneficial .

x dazzle x
Old 16-05-2013, 10:13 AM
spiritualseeker13

Attaining the Soul is atmadhyan i.e. meditation as the Self. And in worldly meditation you are to meditate on the work at hand. For example while cooking pay attention to the items of food that you are cooking. All other dhyans being taught elsewhere become burdensome. Meditation is only meant for those who suffer from an agitated mind, but where is it necessary for others? Who knows where this kind of meditation will lead one?

The Lord has said for one to pay attention to (dhyan) one's meals and one's husband in the relative life, and if not these then the Self. Besides, what will you do with all other dhyans? Why do you need other dhyans for internal peace? All others are meditations that have nothing to do with the Self. They merely sound pleasing to the ear. Some people find it pleasant to their mind and for others it appeals to their intellect. It all depends on one's mind.
Old 16-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Knower
Thank you so much God-like, I guess I just need to relax and do something!

Thanks for the reply spiritualseeker13. I understand the concept of being mindful and in the moment, but I am really struggling with that.
Old 16-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Master
I go along with Krishnamurti's concept of 'choiceless observation' where you observe what happens anyway. For example, if it's a breath observation then don't try to breathe, just notice the breath that's happening... or else, if you watch a candle flame, it's just as it is, not what you want it to be.
Old 16-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Free_Spirit1983

the way I look at the 2, visualisation is creating a desired effect whether it be healing, balancing work or journeying to meet a power animal etc...

Meditation is more about finding that place of stillness, being the observer of your mind and your thoughts rather than identifying with them and just "being", after practice the thoughts subside and you can meditate more clearly (hope that makes sense)

For me I find that I feel more at peace with meditation when I don't surround the experience with structure..

For example I find when I pre plan a meditation, i.e find some free time, get some incense burning, slap a few Deuter tracks on loop and get myself a comforatable blanket to sit in the lotus position (you get the idea) - the structure of all this takes away from the experience, I get wrapped up in my mind..

When I meditate on the spur of the moment, or when I'm painting, drawing, walking or sitting in nature etc I find that I can access that place of stillness more easily because my thinking mind hasn't been activated as much!

x
Old 17-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Knower
Thanks Gem and Free Spirit1983. More helpful suggestions.
Old 18-05-2013, 06:05 AM
spiritualseeker13

How can Yoga and Meditation help in Self Realization ?

Chanting mantras, yoga, meditation, chakra meditation, fasting, penance, meditating upon a light, concentrating on breath, kundalini yoga are all tools to keep the mind, inner complainers in control. They are merely tools until one attain Self realization. A person will experience happiness for the duration he remains engrossed in this and when it passes, he is back to where he started. Only when the mind remains constantly under control, it can be considered cured.

Nirvikalp samadhi means the state of absolute unaffectedness amidst all stresses within thoughts, speech and acts. Only Gnani (enlightened one) is in such samadhi where no mental or physical circumstances can affect him nor create any vibration. And above all, a spiritual master (enlightened one) alone can place the true Meditation of Self in your hand.

Let the spiritual master Param Pujya Dadashri reveal the true yoga, meditation and bestows upon you the ultimate Self realization.