Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-10-2019, 04:33 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
I have never studied the jnana's until this conversation.

If you are a serious Buddhist practitioner the stages are important as to understanding where you are on the path. One shouldn't get caught up in wanting to achieve one or another but Buddhism teaches a progressive means of practices. In Theravada they want you to master one stage before continuing on to other practices that leads to another deeper level of being. It is in that way that one isn't unstable and with an uncontrolled mind going up and down and all around.

Would you not agree?

I do agree with you that one should try to stay present in the moment as much as possible.

Attachment to desire is the cause of the personal suffering. In the instance of spiritual progress, by attaching to desire - what stage am I in, and I want to get to the next stage - you can see this is based on the illusion of me as a person trying to become something. To, me, this is desire of ignorance. By recognizing the ignorance, the delusion, you can let go.

- Ajahn Sumedo
Old 15-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Master
Quote:
I have never studied the jnana's until this conversation.

If you are a serious Buddhist practitioner the stages are important as to understanding where you are on the path. One shouldn't get caught up in wanting to achieve one or another but Buddhism teaches a progressive means of practices. In Theravada they want you to master one stage before continuing on to other practices that leads to another deeper level of being. It is in that way that one isn't unstable and with an uncontrolled mind going up and down and all around.

Would you not agree?

I do agree with you that one should try to stay present in the moment as much as possible.

' If you are a serious Buddhist practitioner '

Isn't a Dhamma Practitoner more apt.. The Buddha referred to his Teachings as Dhamma and his followers as Dhamma followers...
Old 15-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Attachment to desire is the cause of the personal suffering. In the instance of spiritual progress, by attaching to desire - what stage am I in, and I want to get to the next stage - you can see this is based on the illusion of me as a person trying to become something. To, me, this is desire of ignorance. By recognizing the ignorance, the delusion, you can let go.

- Ajahn Sumedo

what is THAT recognition? THAT experience is the answer answer to THE ignorance. there is much more to get from nothing than something. as bliss and silence come from NOTHING.

thats how i see it and as simple as i know how to put it. for both. or just silence.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 15-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee

- Ajahn Sumedo

I agree which is why I wrote:

"One shouldn't get caught up in wanting to achieve one or another but Buddhism teaches a progressive means of practices."

I admit that Ajahn Sumedo say's it much better than I do. But I say it with less words
Old 15-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

Isn't a Dhamma Practitoner more apt.. The Buddha referred to his Teachings as Dhamma and his followers as Dhamma followers...

It would be but...

It seems most people are into the idea of Buddhism compared to the actual practices of Buddhism.

You have the 4 Noble Truths and then you have meditative practices to help one realize the truth of the teachings. I was just trying to put more emphasis on the practice part.

Good catch/correction.. thank you.
Old 15-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:
It would be but...

It seems most people are into the idea of Buddhism compared to the actual practices of Buddhism.

You have the 4 Noble Truths and then you have meditative practices to help one realize the truth of the teachings. I was just trying to put more emphasis on the practice part.

Good point.

Some Christians insist on practicing Christianity as it was originally
taught whereas most practice a different form of Christianity.

Same goes for buddhism.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 16-10-2019, 03:57 AM
janielee

Quote:
I agree which is why I wrote:

"One shouldn't get caught up in wanting to achieve one or another but Buddhism teaches a progressive means of practices."

I admit that Ajahn Sumedo say's it much better than I do. But I say it with less words

Sure, except these were your actual words:

If you are a serious Buddhist practitioner the stages are important as to understanding where you are on the path
Old 16-10-2019, 04:00 AM
janielee

Quote:
It would be but...

Except:

1. Gem has only been talking about practices
2. The Four Noble Truths are the epitome of the path of practice
3. Read what you said

Namaste,

Jl
Old 16-10-2019, 04:01 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

From what he says, jonesboy is not a Buddhist or Buddhist follower, but seems to leverage Buddhist quotes to recruit followers, offer “empowerment’s” etc.
Old 16-10-2019, 04:05 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Good point.

Some Christians insist on practicing Christianity as it was originally
taught whereas most practice a different form of Christianity.

Same goes for buddhism.

Buddhism has a number of schools, each used to guide students towards genuine path of practice. From Mahayana schools (Zen, Tibetan, Chinese) to Theravada schools, each has its place, and is based on Buddhist teachings at heart. Even if the form may differ, the substance and inherent secret/path is unity of realization.

Most practice a different form? People can practice whatever they like, the path of Buddhism is quite specific and the outcomes of Buddhahood are universally true.

For those interested in side alleys, I say - go for it.

Jl