Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Guide

Thai Pusam

In places the world over where Murugan is worshipped, the most dedicated festival of the year, known for its austerities and fervent devotion, is Thai Pusam.

Here's a videop from the island of Mauritius that perfectly illustrates the feeling of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZAJQXEDOA
Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
In places the world over where Murugan is worshipped, the most dedicated festival of the year, known for its austerities and fervent devotion, is Thai Pusam.

Here's a videop from the island of Mauritius that perfectly illustrates the feeling of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZAJQXEDOA
Namaste.

Awesome video! I only watched the first 5 minutes of it, but I'll watch it all again later and it has been bookmarked.

It reminds me of my days in Batu Caves, Malaysia and my own introduction to Hinduism. If it wasn't for the grace of Lord Murugan, he would have never introduced me to his 'Dad'.

I just love the raw energy of this festival and when you are there, among it all, the sacred vibration and healing energies are sublime. Seeing all those people in deep trance warms this heart, it really does - it's what it's all about.

It's so wonderful that God takes away all the pain and all the blood...everything. It shows that God can take away all pain...not only physical, but mental and emotional pain too. This just represents it in the physical way.

Such things show the raw Hinduism...the 'grass roots' practices of deep belief and faith and when it happens...when one is in the presence of throngs of entranced devotees all in god-bliss, something happens...something changes inside through mere association - well, it did for me, back when I first saw this, at the tender and impressionable age of 14 and the rest, as they say, is history.

So thank you Vinayaka and Thaipusam greetings to you, and other worshipers of Murugan.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 11-02-2017, 03:46 AM
Master
Double post, sorry.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste.

Awesome video! I only watched the first 5 minutes of it, but I'll watch it all again later and it has been bookmarked.

So thank you Vinayaka and Thaipusam greetings to you, and other worshipers of Murugan.

Aum Namah Shivaya

So true. If Mauritius wasn't 30 hours of flying time, and a lot of money, for sure I'd go back every year. We've been trying to get it going here, but its difficult. The Sri Lankan community had it 'beaten' out of them by western factors that claimed to be 'civilised'. Only Fijians and of course Mauritians know better here.

Still, I've carried each year since we were there. Have yet to find a piercer though, so that parts just not the same. It does seem to be growing some each year, and one day ...
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Still, I've carried each year since we were there. Have yet to find a piercer though, so that parts just not the same. It does seem to be growing some each year, and one day ...
That's awesome you get involved in it. It's kind of like a rite of passage isn't it? It's also a shame about westerners treating it that way...I assume it also doesn't go down well with other Hindus much either.

It's great that people are going against 'police societies' and doing it anyway despite them but yeah, it's just another form of religious persecution by Christian idealists.

Also, knowing that other people don't like it when it is none of their business, makes it all the more sweeter.

I hope there will always be those who carry on this tradition, even in the face of death. God wouldn't have it any other way.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Guide

Quote:
That's awesome you get involved in it. It's kind of like a rite of passage isn't it? It's also a shame about westerners treating it that way...I assume it also doesn't go down well with other Hindus much either.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Generally speaking, its been my experience that disliking something is caused mostly by not understanding it. If someone who reacts would only be so polite as to ask 'Why?' it might help.
Old 13-02-2017, 01:05 AM
Master
Yeah, although it would be really nice if other people besides just the two of us talked about this eh? knowing if I didn't reply to you, nobody else would have.
Well, there are only two Shaivites on this forum anyway which sucks....but that's the way it is....not many Hindus about even...

I wonder what it is that keeps the majority of Hindus off online forums talking about their religion, seeing as how there are like 1.5 billion Hindus, but only a handful of the 'Western converts' ever bother going on to online forums to discuss their religion? Why is this so?

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 13-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Guide

I don't think that many people of any religion period go on forums, not just Hindus. It's a very small sampling anyway.

I suppose there are many reasons ...
- just not interested in discussing religion
- doesn't hold their attention
- no access to a computer
- have a better use of time, like working, raising a family

Forums also come and go like waves. A couple I know have died the slow inactivity death.

But yes, thanks for adding to this thread, I figured you would.
Old 14-02-2017, 01:11 AM
Master
Quote:
I don't think that many people of any religion period go on forums, not just Hindus. It's a very small sampling anyway.

I suppose there are many reasons ...
- just not interested in discussing religion
- doesn't hold their attention
- no access to a computer
- have a better use of time, like working, raising a family

Forums also come and go like waves. A couple I know have died the slow inactivity death.

But yes, thanks for adding to this thread, I figured you would.
Yes, you are right. Forums rely on other people to be active/interactive so that you can be and not many people like that - they prefer to have their own websites and write blogs instead, that's IF they are going to write/say anything about it. Relying on other people to write first or respond to posts is a dead-end and I guess the more sane/intelligent among us realise it, that if you wait for another person, you could be waiting forever...so yeah, I see the point now. It has taken me a year of living in denial.

I'm going to be slowly winding down my own participation on here, Vinayaka because I rely on nobody else other than myself and I also know that if you want something done, you do it yourself because you'll be satisfied with the outcome then.

Well, it's only 11 days until Maha Shiva Ratri and I may do something for it this year outside, instead of just having a small private puja. If anybody makes a thread about Shiva Ratri, I may respond, but I'm not going to be jumping on threads anymore - no point.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 14-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Guide

Quote:

Well, it's only 11 days until Maha Shiva Ratri and I may do something for it this year outside, instead of just having a small private puja. If anybody makes a thread about Shiva Ratri, I may respond, but I'm not going to be jumping on threads anymore - no point.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Shivaratri here is losing its appeal for me. It seems to draw out the nutcases, and we spend more time getting people to follow the temple rules (shoes, hats, cameras, cellphones, yapping, other disrespect) than actually worshipping. If I do go, it'll be when the crowd thins out, and only the serious bhaktars remain. Otherwise it just defeats any purpose.

Not sure how it is in other places or temples.