Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James
Why does a person need to decide what the book is, can deciding what the book is, be a continuing goal or a curiousity, which is never answered?

Why if one part is symbolic, does the whole thing need to be symbolic?

Well you would have to decide what the book was. Is it a literal conversation between a group of people as they travelled the lands, or was it stories passed down from generation to generation.

I also understand that a lot of Jesus messages were hidden throughout parables for those that were worthy enough to get the message.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Dilchannan

I think it is great that any part of the bible can bring inspiration to anyone. Part of the Divine reaching out and whispering personally to your ear... We are all encouraged to read and interpret the bible on a very personal level...jmho
Old 24-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
Well you would have to decide what the book was. Is it a literal conversation between a group of people as they travelled the lands, or was it stories passed down from generation to generation.

are they not letters about a group of people who travelled the lands (meaning the Gospel, not Torah and Prophecies), with in person accounts

so, the stories passed down from generation to generation, are you referring to what a church may teach, about the travellers told about in the letters?
Old 24-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSnowflake
He was well aware that the Apostles, while great guys, could be a little thick sometimes.

yes, they were all thick, that is why Jesus tried to get them to think about things.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Master
Quote:
are they not letters about a group of people who travelled the lands (meaning the Gospel, not Torah and Prophecies), with in person accounts

so, the stories passed down from generation to generation, are you referring to what a church may teach, about the travellers told about in the letters?

That is what is supposed to be in the bible what has been overheard from what happened...

By stories I mean things such as Noah and the Flood was that an accurate portrayal of what truly happened a man and his family built and ark and put some animals in it, or was that just a symbolic story? Did a flood happen and the writers of the bible add some creative liberties to it?
Old 25-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Ascender
Quote:
add some creative liberties

for me, a little bit of spice always makes for a better story

and once something is spiced up, you can never go back and remove the flavor.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Master
Quote:
for me, a little bit of spice always makes for a better story

and once something is spiced up, you can never go back and remove the flavor.

Sure it does spicy up the story... but then it becomes a story, a fabrication, and not really truth any more.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Ascender
Quote:
and not really truth any more.

do you feel that it was the truth at one time?
Old 26-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Master
Quote:
do you feel that it was the truth at one time?

It depends on what part you are referring to? A lot of the things in the bible I do not agree with. Such as a condeming deity that punishes, or holds grudges because one doesn't accept this, or that. That is right up there with karma and keep on coming back because of it.

A flood. It's very possible that a flood happened. I don't think it would be because of a God sitting there wanting to punish the world. It would of been a result of climate changes.

A family packing up an entire ARK full of animals and take them to safety.. I can't even get my dog to listen to me.

An angry God punishing a nation with a rain of fire... Doubtful, more than likely a random meteor struck the place, or near it. Similar to what happened with the Dino's many years ago.

The more you stretch the truth the more you lose people in believing what you say. Until eventually no one does.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Ascender
Quote:

The more you stretch the truth the more you lose people in believing what you say. Until eventually no one does.

amen to that