Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 10-04-2024, 08:10 PM
Seeker
Lightbulb Non Duality Teachers

It would be interesting to hear from other forum members about Non Duality teachers they have found useful.

There are several that have been helpful for me, but I'll mention the first one I came across over 25 years ago: Sri Ramana Maharshi. I'm currently reading again 'Be As You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.' It's a comprehensive book on the teaching of Non Duality, full of questions from seekers and answers from the great sage.
Old 10-04-2024, 10:24 PM
Guide

Blessings Goldcup thank you for this post Ramana Maharshi is indeed a great
master, I have many of his books and have been to his ashram in India twice.

regards michael
Old 11-04-2024, 12:29 AM
Ah, yes Ramana M......then you'd have to say Nisargadatta - and his "I Am That" book.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-04-2024, 02:38 AM
Master
In my view, the thing about non-duality is that what any teacher points out to is an understanding that transcends lower mind and as such in early days, we can at best hear the spoken words as a provisional hypothesis. It is only when we befriend silence that we position ourselves to spontaneously recognise the truth, which we are but know not, since thought spirals consume our attention.

Long back I attempted to read non-dual texts like the book by Nisargadatta ’I am that’ or the Ashtavakra Gita or for that matter Wu Wu Wei but to be honest, at that time what they said seemed like an unsolvable koan. Then partial recognition dawned. Why do I say partial? Because having been, seen and so known, the truth is clear but what is imbibed yet needs to be assimilated.

I like Rupert Spira and Aaron Abke too, as also all teachers who are yet students themselves! In fact, actually all paths lead to the same understanding eventually.

Last edited by Unseeking Seeker : 11-04-2024 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Seeker
Michael, the ashram visits sound great.

Miss H, 'I Am That' is on my list to get round to reading.

Unseeking Seeker, thanks for that. I find Rupert Spira to be such a pool of wisdom in the ocean of consciousness. I don't know of Aaron Abke, so one to look into. And yes, all paths lead to the Heart. :)
Old 11-04-2024, 10:54 AM
Master
@ Goldcup ~ yes, heart is the centre
Old 11-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcup7
Aaron Abke. :)
I love him. So simple, so clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpFWRRTVaU
Perfect
talk to get to know him, he gets right to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLiT-LTuNlE
Longer one -Q and A form

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-04-2024, 03:35 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
In my view, the thing about non-duality is that what any teacher points out to is an understanding that transcends lower mind and as such in early days, we can at best hear the spoken words as a provisional hypothesis. It is only when we befriend silence that we position ourselves to spontaneously recognise the truth, which we are but know not, since thought spirals consume our attention.
This brings to mind this verse from the Kena Upanishad:

The disciple said: I do not think I know It well, nor do I think that I do not know It. He among us who knows It truly, knows (what is meant by) "I know" and also what is meant by "I know It not."

Intellectual knowing knows it not well but something else cannot say It does not know It.

The eye does not need to see itself to know itself. In fact the eye cannot see itself, however by the very fact it sees it knows its existence.
Old 11-04-2024, 07:08 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_A_S_G
The eye does not need to see itself to know itself. In fact the eye cannot see itself, however by the very fact it sees it knows its existence.
Love that.
Old 12-04-2024, 08:47 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcup7
Love that.
It's like "I think, therefore I am" only deeper. Perhaps it's "I experience therefore I am" because we experience thought just like we experience any other object. In consciousness studies and philosophy of mind it's called qualia and the Hard Problem of Consciousness.