Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 21-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Newbie ;)

Bliss?

Why do so many people talk about bliss when talking about spirituality? I have never felt bliss. Am I missing something? Is it because I am uninterested in experiencing bliss? Is bliss supposed to be an end result of the right spiritual practice or change?

My spiritual journey has been very harrowing for the last seven years when it started. Maybe I am still stuck in my lower chakras.
Old 22-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Deactivated Account
Hi janesix.

The word "bliss" is simply another term for speaking of joy. Essentially, sayings such as "Follow your bliss" (which was "coined" by Joseph Campbell) are advising to identify what it is that brings you joy, and to follow that pathway. This is the very essence of spirituality in a practical sense.

There are also those who claim to "always" be in bliss. This is nonsense. That is, those who brag about this are not being very honest about it. You are wise to be wary of this. The human experience can never be 100% blissful continually, no matter how "enlightened" one is claimed to be. There are those who largely "abide" in bliss, in terms of their degree of soul attunement to their True Nature; this, however, doesn't mean that such a person is always experiencing well-being in every moment. It means that their maturity "level" or degree of self-awareness is such that their dominant attention is powerfully attuned to well-being, to their God-Self.

Divine Bliss is beyond words and beyond the limitations of space-time experience, yet it is indeed a Reality that one can be highly attuned to.

Those who speak of it as some ultimate goal, such as "enlightenment" is often thought of as an ultimate goal, tend to miss the point of the spiritual journey, which is really about appreciating the journey, learning to increasingly love oneself and thus all others.

There are also those who defensively claim, "Oh, I love myself," as if they love themselves 100% without any room for growth. This is also nonsense, a lie that most people tell themselves when it comes to the idea of self-love. All human souls are learning to allow themselves to have a fuller experience of love. The reincarnation process allows this lesson to be learned.

Self-love and bliss go together. You have indeed felt moments of what may be termed a "blissful experience." Remember, the word "bliss" is of course relative to each person, yet the core idea remains the same for all, and this is that bliss is simply referring to a state of well-being.

You have undoubtedly experienced states of well-being, in varying degrees.

So, it is not wise for one to assume that he/she has never experienced bliss, for most people do not even recall what they have experienced during the sleep/dream state, and most human adults do not even remember the moments of great JOY that they experienced as an infant! You have had feel-good dreams before, no doubt, whether you may recall this or not.

Most humans have a strong tendency to play up perceived "negative" experiences and downplay--and even forget--the many times when some degree of peace was experienced.

Bliss is at our core, it represents our True Nature. As incarnated souls, we are each here learning to make the best of our human experience, and there is no higher human experience than following one's bliss, which simply means following one's natural in-born inclination to move in directions of one's joy.

Desire is very natural to the incarnated experience, the living experience, and learning to take inspired actions upon one's highest desires is very natural and it is even required in order for us to enjoy our lives to the fullest that we allow ourselves to be happy.

All souls have a duty to demonstrate well-being. This is something that must be learned in terms of the expansion-of-consciousness evolutionary process. During this journey, ALL human experiences are valid experiences, of course, both happy ones and less than happy experiences.

Thank you for sharing such a powerful question, my friend. All the best.
Old 22-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Deactivated Account
All souls are interested in bliss. This is why all beings naturally desire well-being, and seek to experience well-being. This is a core desire for all beings, without exception. Even those few upon the planet who seek to keep the masses in ignorance of their True Power. . .even these misguided souls have a desire for well-being.

Janesix, the key to a more fulfilling life experience is in appreciation. It is in making the best of one's current life experience. It is in accentuating the positive. It is in discovering what brings one joy. It is in joyous service to others (which is not a forsaking of one's own joy, for one's "own" joy is actually joyous energy that is shared with all). Self-appreciation and appreciation for others is really the same. One can only love others to the degree that they love/appreciate the Self.

Best Wishes
Old 22-05-2017, 01:05 AM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color Kiss Of Bliss Is A Blessing of Contentment and Connected-ness to Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesix
Why do so many people talk about bliss when talking about spirituality? I have never felt bliss. Am I missing something? Is it because I am uninterested in experiencing bliss? Is bliss supposed to be an end result of the right spiritual practice or change?

Once you experience bliss you will feel blessed. imho

Kiss of bliss. A feeling of connected-ness with Universe.

At peace and mellow vibe of contentment with a knowing that, however it is for you at that set of moments,is how it supposed to be ergo minimal anxiety.

r6

https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...utf-8&oe=utf-8
  1. 1.
    perfect happiness; great joy.
    "she gave a sigh of bliss"
    synonyms:joy, happiness, pleasure, delight, ecstasy, elation, rapture, euphoria "she gave a sigh of bliss"

antonyms:misery

verb
verb: bliss; 3rd person present: blisses; past tense: blissed; past participle: blissed; gerund or present participle: blissing; adjective: blissed-out
informal
reach a state of perfect happiness, typically so as to be oblivious of everything else

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 22-05-2017, 02:07 AM
Master
For a broad understanding of bliss the five koshas or sheaths of Hinduism might shed some light on the topic for you. All five sheaths have to be disidentified with to come to our true nature or true self, including bliss, but nor is bliss expected until well into the spiritual journey.

See https://www.yogavic.org.au/download....e=pdf&file=361
Old 22-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Master
I equate bliss with total, unconditional love.

It's the kind of love that knows no limits...no boundaries. Just when you feel you can't love any more than you do, you always can.

It's a love that totally surpasses anything one human can feel towards another and it comes in waves...reflecting and compounding upon itself until, through a waterfall of tears, the soul cries out "no more...no more!"

As for the koshas, I am reminded of a shloka from Atma Shatakam by Shankaracharya:

न च प्राणसंज्ञो न वै पञ्चवायुः
न वा सप्तधातुः न वा पञ्चकोशः ।
न वाक्पाणिपादं न चोपस्थपायु
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥२॥

Na Ca Praanna-Samjnyo Na Vai Pancha-Vaayuh
Na Vaa Sapta-Dhaatuh Na Vaa Pancha-Koshah |
Na Vaak-Paanni-Paadam Na Copastha-Paayu
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||2||

Meaning:

2.1: Neither am I the Vital Breath, nor the Five Vital Airs,
2.2: Neither am I the Seven Ingredients, nor the Five Sheaths of the Body,
2.3: Neither am I the organ of Speech, nor the organs for Holding ( Hands), Movement ( Feet ) or Excretion,
2.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,
That Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness.
Old 22-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Master
Agreed necro (good to see you back ), nice quote, but it's important to recognise the bliss that exists as part of the ego self, and the bliss beyond self.

Bliss beyond the ego self is equated with the Absolute, there is no more or less or too little or too much, there just is, there are no vasanas, no falling back, no karma, only Absolute and permanent unity.
Old 22-05-2017, 04:32 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness
Hi janesix.

The word "bliss" is simply another term for speaking of joy. Essentially, sayings such as "Follow your bliss" (which was "coined" by Joseph Campbell) are advising to identify what it is that brings you joy, and to follow that pathway. This is the very essence of spirituality in a practical sense.

There are also those who claim to "always" be in bliss. This is nonsense. That is, those who brag about this are not being very honest about it. You are wise to be wary of this. The human experience can never be 100% blissful continually, no matter how "enlightened" one is claimed to be. There are those who largely "abide" in bliss, in terms of their degree of soul attunement to their True Nature; this, however, doesn't mean that such a person is always experiencing well-being in every moment. It means that their maturity "level" or degree of self-awareness is such that their dominant attention is powerfully attuned to well-being, to their God-Self.

Divine Bliss is beyond words and beyond the limitations of space-time experience, yet it is indeed a Reality that one can be highly attuned to.

Those who speak of it as some ultimate goal, such as "enlightenment" is often thought of as an ultimate goal, tend to miss the point of the spiritual journey, which is really about appreciating the journey, learning to increasingly love oneself and thus all others.

There are also those who defensively claim, "Oh, I love myself," as if they love themselves 100% without any room for growth. This is also nonsense, a lie that most people tell themselves when it comes to the idea of self-love. All human souls are learning to allow themselves to have a fuller experience of love. The reincarnation process allows this lesson to be learned.

Self-love and bliss go together. You have indeed felt moments of what may be termed a "blissful experience." Remember, the word "bliss" is of course relative to each person, yet the core idea remains the same for all, and this is that bliss is simply referring to a state of well-being.

You have undoubtedly experienced states of well-being, in varying degrees.

So, it is not wise for one to assume that he/she has never experienced bliss, for most people do not even recall what they have experienced during the sleep/dream state, and most human adults do not even remember the moments of great JOY that they experienced as an infant! You have had feel-good dreams before, no doubt, whether you may recall this or not.

Most humans have a strong tendency to play up perceived "negative" experiences and downplay--and even forget--the many times when some degree of peace was experienced.

Bliss is at our core, it represents our True Nature. As incarnated souls, we are each here learning to make the best of our human experience, and there is no higher human experience than following one's bliss, which simply means following one's natural in-born inclination to move in directions of one's joy.

Desire is very natural to the incarnated experience, the living experience, and learning to take inspired actions upon one's highest desires is very natural and it is even required in order for us to enjoy our lives to the fullest that we allow ourselves to be happy.

All souls have a duty to demonstrate well-being. This is something that must be learned in terms of the expansion-of-consciousness evolutionary process. During this journey, ALL human experiences are valid experiences, of course, both happy ones and less than happy experiences.

Thank you for sharing such a powerful question, my friend. All the best.
edit.
oh never mind. must of read over what i wanted to say. you explained what i thought you didnt. and i wanted to add.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 22-05-2017, 04:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Agreed necro (good to see you back ), nice quote, but it's important to recognise the bliss that exists as part of the ego self, and the bliss beyond self.

Bliss beyond the ego self is equated with the Absolute, there is no more or less or too little or too much, there just is, there are no vasanas, no falling back, no karma, only Absolute and permanent unity.
Thank you. Nice to be back!

I recognise that bliss/love I feel as being equated with Siva - either the Nirguna or Saguna aspect - it's all the same.

I allow myself to fall back because of the totally overwhelming and omni-consuming nature of it - I mean, it totally incapacitates me at a mental and physical level.

To try and tone it down so as to have the 'living awareness' of it, is my challenge for this lifetime...or at least for now.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django

I am reading this thread and the Triadic Heart of Siva concurrently.
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=111842

To break Siva's Triadic Heart down into 'Necrospeak' - there is:

1. The bliss that exists at the level of the ego-self.
2. The bliss that exists at the level of the 'awareness of self' &
3. The bliss that exists beyond the self.

All I know is that one can only think about it so much until the head begins to hurt - sort of like my recent forays into the non-duality forum where certain 'non-dualists' like to use word-play to illustrate non-duality when all that does, for me, is reinforce the whole dualistic nature of the experience anyway.