Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Guide
The Um

In the internet hit documentary "Kymatica" it is stated that the Numerical Value of Language has virtually been Reversed to it's Opposite. They (in the movie) say that the Numerical Value of Sanskrit, Gaelic and Ancient Hebrew was/is totally the opposite of say the Modern English Language.

Where I am going with this is something very simple yet potentially something very powerful.

The Aum in Sanskrit: Very powerful mystical or sacred syllable.

The Um in English: Used as an expression of doubt, hesitation, deliberation, interest, etc.

When you say "Ummm" you are also effectively saying "Aum".

Could be the completion of the Confusion of the Tongues: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusion_of_the_tongues

Your "Um" is your "Aum".

Thanks for reading.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Experiencer
Hi Thoughtonfire,

So what exactly has this got to do with Buddhism?

Kind regards,

Samana
Old 24-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Guide
Kidding me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum
"Om or Aum is a mystical or sacred syllable in the Indian religions, i.e. Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism."

I apologize if you are offended by my misplacement of this thread. Perhaps you can suggest a better forum section? But honestly, if you just think I'm stupid & the Original Post is ignorant you can voice your opinion and move on. I thought about posting in the Hinduism section but seeing as Om/Aum is also related to Buddhism, I didn't see a problem. This section gets more traffic I noticed.
Old 24-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtOnFire
In the internet hit documentary "Kymatica" it is stated that the Numerical Value of Language has virtually been Reversed to it's Opposite. They (in the movie) say that the Numerical Value of Sanskrit, Gaelic and Ancient Hebrew was/is totally the opposite of say the Modern English Language.

Where I am going with this is something very simple yet potentially something very powerful.

The Um in English: Used as an expression of doubt, hesitation, deliberation, interest, etc.

Could be the completion of the Confusion of the Tongues: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusion_of_the_tongues

Your "Um" is your "Aum".

Thanks for reading.

Hi ToF, yes I would say this is in line with what I've been noticing about the nature of language. I shall put the doc on my list of things to check out.

Interesting, thanks.
Old 25-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Guide
I'm glad that you can relate, Lazarus!

Here is Kymatica on YouTube if anyone is interested: /watch?v=MkbvJFEQgJU
Old 25-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Guide
Quote:
I'm glad that you can relate, Lazarus!

Here is Kymatica on YouTube if anyone is interested: /watch?v=MkbvJFEQgJU

Here's where the film begins to talk about Language: /watch?v=MkbvJFEQgJU#t=19m30s
Old 26-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeiacatl

Quote:

Your "Um" is your "Aum".

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing ThoughtOnFire, I find it very interesting. Something to definitely ponder about.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Kidding me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum
"Om or Aum is a mystical or sacred syllable in the Indian religions, i.e. Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism."

I apologize if you are offended by my misplacement of this thread. Perhaps you can suggest a better forum section? But honestly, if you just think I'm stupid & the Original Post is ignorant you can voice your opinion and move on. I thought about posting in the Hinduism section but seeing as Om/Aum is also related to Buddhism, I didn't see a problem. This section gets more traffic I noticed.

Actually not everything in wikipedia is necessarily correct. 'Om' is not common to most Buddhist schools its only used in Tibetan Buddhism and is more commonly used in Hinduism etc . 'Mystical symbols' such as 'Om' didn't play any part in the life and teachings of the historical Buddha and certainly have no place in Theravada Buddhism or Zen Buddhism .

Kind regards,

Samana
Old 26-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Actually not everything in wikipedia is necessarily correct. 'Om' is not common to most Buddhist schools its only used in Tibetan Buddhism and is more commonly used in Hinduism etc . 'Mystical symbols' such as 'Om' didn't play any part in the life and teachings of the historical Buddha and certainly have no place in Theravada Buddhism or Zen Buddhism .

Kind regards,

Samana

Oh I see,

Then this should be in the Hinduism section?
Old 27-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Oh I see,

Then this should be in the Hinduism section?

Yes, I think so. It would be confusing for newcomers to Buddhism otherwise.