Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 18-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Master
Samhain

In just a few short weeks, it is the start of a new year in the Celtic calender, the beginning of winter in the Northern hemisphere, and my favourite festival.

Samhain marks the first day of the Celtic New Year. It is celebrated on November 1. Most consider October 31 to be the Eve of Samhain.
Samhain is the "Feast of the Dead." The Celts would celebrate by placing food on tables to honor the spirits of the dead. On this night, the veil between the realm of the living and the realm of the dead is lifted, making communication with spirits easier. The Dark Mother- the crone- and her aging consort, the Dark Father (the god and goddess) were honoured on this night also. Pagans today still celebrate Samhain both to honor the god and goddess, as well as the deceased.

Celebrated in the northern hemisphere on 31st October, Samhain is the Celtic new year. It is also a Celtic fire festival. In the southern hemisphere this is celebrated on or about 30th April as it refers to the new year in terms of natures cycle.

For our ancestors, this was a busy time, the flocks and herds were back from the hills and many were selected for the cull. These would be mainly the young male animals, the old, injured and infertile animals. The young and pregnant stock would be kept within for safety during the winter. Apart from butchering the meat, the feast would comprise the offal meats, which are difficult to preserve. There would be hides to tan, fleeces to prepare, salting, drying and smoking of meat.

Children would be able to go to any hearth to be fed, as the villagers would be taking turns with cooking and smallest childcare, for the normal life still had to go on. Here we see the earliest beginnings of the tradition of Trick or treat, as the children would be largely unsupervised and be up to all kinds of mischief.

The villagers would be gathered now, traders returned with news from the wider world, and in return they would learn what had been occurring in the village whilst they had been away, the births, accidents and deaths.

So it was the time to remember as they went within for the almost hibernation time of winter, when repairs to harnesses, tools, weapons, etc would go on during the months of short cold days. The children would learn by song and story, and the older members would tell the old tales and sing the old songs.

It was at this time that country folk would be considering how many of their animals they would be able to keep over the winter months, there was a need to ensure that fodder to feed the animals would last until spring when the livestock could be let out to pasture again, if there isn't sufficient fodder then the herds and flocks need to be reduced.

Following the cull there was plenty of meat available to be dried, smoked or cured for the winter and also enough for a feast. Because this was the time of the cull, death and rebirth are much on the mind. This is also the time to celebrate and remember loved ones who have passed onto the next level, it is considered that the veil between the two worlds are at their 'thinnest' and that our ancestors are able to draw nearer to us and join our celebrations.

Where I live was the homelands of the largest Celtic Confederation in England, the Brigantes, with the Parisii to the East and the Carvetii to the West. Many people these days forget that England was a Celtic nation at the time of the Roman invasion and the Brigantes were never conquered. They became a client nation within the Empire and acted a auxiliaries, serving on The Wall and elsewhere.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Animus27

Good post norseman.

For those interested in reading more about Samhainn, Seren has a great essay at her marvelous website Tairis.

And the late Alexei Kondratiev wrote a good article called Samhain: Season of Death Renewal.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Szalvias

Great post.

When I was practicing Wicca, I was taught that the veil between what most people consider the "normal" world and the world of the dead (ergo, the spirit world) is very thin.
I have no clue how true this is, and I am not a practicing witch now, but I am wondering if there is anyone who knows anything about this.
It is definately true that I do feel a very peculiar energy around this day.. it is often not right on Samhain but sometimes the day before or after or even a couple days off.
Anyone else experience this or know any lore that addresses it?
Old 13-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Master
Szalvias, the "thin time" is Samhain Eve Oct 30th. At this time, "doorways" can be opened if you know where they are and the ancestors may be asked for advice. Doorways, as such, are natural features such as caves, depressions in the ground, springs, etc - all the places where the tribal wise folk appealed to the spirits for good harvests and hunting in the neolithic/Bronze Age.
I have been in contact the last two years and plan another this year with results not as I expected.
Old 13-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Time

NIGHT OF FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO what exactly is everyones plans?
Old 13-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Master
Up Helly Aa - Shetland

No, seriously. I will be invoking the ancestors at a doorway
Old 14-10-2011, 04:55 PM
SpiralNature

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Up Helly Aa - Shetland

No, seriously. I will be invoking the ancestors at a doorway

I think thats me on the far left...i wondered what i had gotten up to the previous night after waking with a burning staff in my room. Thanks for letting me know

Samhain is a beautiful time to me, natures colours are fantastic, the nights are mystical and candle light is beautiful. I will be remembering those that have past and honouring the future year.
Old 14-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Master
Talking

Oh! So, that's what the rest of the avatar pic looks like.

Nightmares of having one's fur catch afire~*

Old 17-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Time

So it turns out, im house sitting that week. Its going to be interesting....