Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 12-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Master

4 Totems

In the last 6 months I've journeyed or had others journey for me. And I've wound up with 4 different totem animals, all with their own distinct properties and powers, but 4 seems somewhat excessive.

I've got a polar bear, goat, owl, and an otter.

I'm happy with my four, I feel I need all four of them and they bring different joys and support and wisdom to me, but as I say - is it ok to have four or are totems for a season?

I don't feel the need to say good-bye to any of them, I just don't want to be greedy!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
You can have as many as you need to help you through out various times and aspects of your life, some stay some go as needed. But you'll always have a few core ones that will remain with you.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Pathfinder

I have nine bird totems...I also found a rock in a mountain creek that on one side of the rock you can see a turtle's head....I keep this rock by my bed so I see it everyday, it reminds me to focus.

I have also found other rocks with an animal heads on them: my favorites three rocks are with the heads of a turtle, a bear and a buffalo...I see these rocks as a kind of talisman.

Tavah/gray feather
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Experiencer

9 totems that is a lot... I have only 3 but for me they are so connected.. I have first Eagle and then a Wolf and a Bear... I couldn't ask for better... I guess I'm a born survivor..
Old 13-12-2014, 04:15 AM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
In the last 6 months I've journeyed or had others journey for me. And I've wound up with 4 different totem animals, all with their own distinct properties and powers, but 4 seems somewhat excessive.

I've got a polar bear, goat, owl, and an otter.

I'm happy with my four, I feel I need all four of them and they bring different joys and support and wisdom to me, but as I say - is it ok to have four or are totems for a season?

I don't feel the need to say good-bye to any of them, I just don't want to be greedy!
Dearest Belle, there is more than enough to go around, sistah!

How cool that you got four - four is such a powerful number in my local culture. The 4 main directions of the Medicine Wheel. This sounds like your own personal Medicine Wheel shield!

When you say "are totems for a season": the way it's been shared with me, and again this is from my local Elders, each individual Spirit is a unique and distinct offshoot from or facet of Great Spirit, the Maker of All Life (or God, or Source ... many world cultures give a different name.) There are 7 main Clans or Totems (plus sub-clans), and each living being's Spirit is a member of one of those Clans. (My Spirit Clan is Raven - any surprise there? )

But this is about your knowing and what makes sense to you. Do you think different totems walk with us for a specific season? Because maybe they do! Before I found out my Clan, I always thought the Wolf was my Clan - I've had an affinity with wolves and dogs all of my life. When I found out I am Raven Clan, I was a little confused. Then an Elder told me that we also have "Helpers" - so maybe different totems or spirits do walk with us for a certain span of our life to help us with the particular lessons in that season. And when the lesson has been integrated, the Helper's "job" has been accomplished, and then maybe different Helpers or totems come to us to assist us with the next phase of our journey.

Anyway, trust what feels right and meaningful for you, and enjoy getting to know your Family!
Old 13-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Master

I am glad this thread got resurrected. You see I kinda ditched shamanism lately after some nasty experiences and unpleasant teachers. Sure I wasn't in a great place but I could have done with support. But hey. Interestingly I was working with a snake of late. Transformationv. And that resonates with the now of my life.

I hope I rediscover the beauty of journeying but I need a safe space. I'm not sure why it's so difficult.
Old 14-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Suspended
Watch out for "Plastic Shamans", they in for the money and can be quite nasty at times. They are wordy and head orientated, rather than heart orientated.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Master

Of course Thunder Bow - a plastic shaman! He was / is so knowledgeable but stuck the knife in at the first sign of dissent from me - which was in the form of distress. I was finding journeying very confrontational - and I don't think it's unfair to say that I was banished from the group (e-group), without being allowed to say goodbye. I spoke to my counsellor about this as she knows it, she did say it wasn't me, that he has a problem with strong emotions and has done it to a lot of other people before me - exiled them.
Old 15-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Suspended
I been banned from other forums as well. He was all about Control. He wanted complete control in the e group.
Old 24-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Experiencer
How... how do you find your spiritual guides/animals/totems? I know that there are lots of places around that can give you a ceremony, or something or another that will help you find them, but none of them have ever... felt right. It's like the ceremonies for finding your spiritual name that I find on the internet. They feel... wrong. Not bad, or harmful, just incorrect.

I know that patience is paramount above all (as in life in general), and being observant seems to be a close second, but if you are someone who has no set belief or cultural system, how does it work? I have no (spiritual) elders that I can call upon for advice or guidance, and the only two people in my life I could even consider close to that... I can't get a hold of.

...Do I guess?