Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Master
the trick is to work with karma, to act skillfully and to bear any hard karma without creating more for our selves. We can offer the small stuff up, and burn it off though through spiritual practice and the grace of avatars and god.
Zeliar says , `if the conditions are right`, but my friend, its like fighting, the conditions are never right, we cant control the conditions, only our response to them. Yes its hard, but thats what we are trying to master...ourselves.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtOnFire
"Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny."
~Buddhist Laws of Karma~

Good post TOF, I like that. Helpful.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:54 PM
nventr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus72

(s. A.IV.77).
"Therefore, o monks, do not brood over the world as to whether it is eternal or temporal, limited or endless ... Such brooding, O monks, is senseless, has nothing to do with genuine pure conduct (s. adibrahmacariyaka-sila), does not lead to aversion, detachment, extinction, nor to peace, to full comprehension, enlightenment and Nibbana, etc." (S.56.41).

Basically it all boils down to being in the "Now," Taking responsibility for your life, and thinking about the long term consequences of your actions.
Old 14-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Master
Yeah I think that's about the size of it. Going back to the OP there seems to be a concern about other people potentially 'getting away with things'.

Due to the nature of Karma and even existence itself I personally expect the notion of impunity to be based on a misconception.

Perhaps better to work like this;

"Pay no attention to the faults of others, things done or left undone by others. Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone".-Buddhist Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
It's not just the Tibetans who do this. I have also read about Japanese Zen Buddhists who meditate on a deity.
And whether it's just a way to focus the mind, or sincere worship of a deity they believe in, I think that's up to the practitioner.. you can't say all Buddhists can't or don't believe in deities.

I agree with this...sorry just wanted to make this statement as I've spent time with many Buddhists, yes many but not all have been Tibetan. Also Sri Lankan and far Eastern. I understand many Buddhists do not believe in an anthropomorphised God...but who does? LOL...that has always been a misperception...no monothestic religion conceives of the All/One/the Isness as a greco-roman "god"...

But I too know many Buddhists who are comfortable with the belief in the Oneness/the All/the Isness that is the "actual" definition of God by monotheists. In fact, I would say that most Buddhists I know would ascribe to this...it's just that there are many who feel that the centre of their practise is mind-training and self-awareness.

Awareness of the One (considered emptiness meditation by some, or the inherent aspect of that awareness) is somewhat irrelevant for many until and unless they are at that place on their path. For some, their focus remains on other aspects of Buddhism...and all are valid imo.

Peace,
7L
Old 14-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
the trick is to work with karma, to act skillfully and to bear any hard karma without creating more for our selves. We can offer the small stuff up, and burn it off though through spiritual practice and the grace of avatars and god.
Zeliar says , `if the conditions are right`, but my friend, its like fighting, the conditions are never right, we cant control the conditions, only our response to them. Yes its hard, but thats what we are trying to master...ourselves.

Damn that's so true...LOL...seems the best we can do is try to do the best we can...

but I firmly believe all the small stuff is really huge...nothing is for nothing...

Peace,
7L
Old 14-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
in reference to the `god` /deity debate going on within this, i am going to ignore it, I too know many buddhists who believe in god, and believe siddartha did too. That aside as far as the karma question is concerned, `small` unskillfull karma can be paid off by spiritual practice and offering it up. The bigger serious stuff cant, and will return, but its ok, because it will be woven into your path. The importnat thing for us all is to use our understanding of karma to live more skillfully.

yes...right...I think Buddha's focus was self-awareness...becoming and being the change we want in the world...

agree with the rest as well...
Old 14-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
I agree. And we cannot escape destiny. No free will In that respect.

x dazzle x

Yes...you cannot escape your destiny...you can only choose to embrace it, I agree...

But your fate...THAT you can change.... that's the part where your intention, beliefs, and choices do matter...

BTW...I got this important distinction from some elder brothers, LOL...it is not mine to claim...

Peace,
7L
Old 15-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Ascender

Doesn't fate shape our destiny? And what's the difference between the two?
Old 15-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Guide
Bad karma comes from bad intentions. So yeah if you view yourself as having good intentions there shouldn't be any bad karma created even if the consequences of your actions turned out to be bad. But that doesn't mean you can escape the consequences of your actions. No one can do that.