Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM
MadamStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
MadamStar....Good luck with your book! You have also given me some really valuable advice, and probably will come back to you for some more tips yet -so watch out!
I definitely have to set the publicity wheels in motion. But I haven't quite finished the book yet; still have a couple of chapters to go.
I need to be a bit more left-brained to focus on that, and need to be so right-brained to finish the book! LOL! The more tech./internet stuff I do, the less I can write those chapters properly....and the more writing I do, everything else disappears!
haha....dilemma.....it will be fixed.

Thanks everyone

Sounds good :) you can always send me a message.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Kathleen Brugger

This is what it says on the Kindle formatting site:

Quote:
Plain Text (TXT): KDP converts all text to HTML. Image locations referenced in the TXT file will not result in an image displaying in the eBook after conversion. For this reason, TXT files should only be used when your book file does not contain images.

Rich Text Format (RTF): KDP converts rich text format files.

The page break issue is a problem, not sure how to get around that, but since Kindle takes these two formats maybe it's not that essential?

Here's an idea: can you use a computer at a library? Maybe they have Word on their computers; you could bring a .rtf file and convert it to Word there?

I second the recommendation that you start a blog asap. There's a lot of books out there and it's hard to stand out.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Yay! The book's finished! Its title is:
"Angel From the Streets".

Now for the really hard work......all this techie stuff is out of my comfort zone....
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Kathleen Brugger

Quote:
Yay! The book's finished! Its title is:
"Angel From the Streets".

Now for the really hard work......all this techie stuff is out of my comfort zone....
Congratulations!!!
Old 19-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Deactivated Account

Congratulations on finishing your book Tobi ! Good luck with the next steps to getting it published !

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Pinkroses

Hi Tobi,
Sorry I am joining this thread late. Ironically, I have been busy finishing up my second self-published book. :)

I successfully published my first book through Amazon's CreateSpace as a paperback and through Kindle Direct Publishing as an EBook. I will be doing the same for my second book, scheduled for release in January. I found the tools and templates easy to use. CreateSpace is also very inexpensive. Where you'll spend the most money is on promoting and marketing the book yourself.

I'd be happy to answer questions and share my experiences. Feel free to send me a PM.

Best of luck with your book!

Pink Roses
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
Thank you Pinkroses! That's a lovely offer.
Thanks everyone for some great replies.
I'm editing now and it's taking ages. I keep seeing things wrong with it! haha

Google Docs seems like good word processing software to use, but the page breaks are behaving oddly at the mo.
Not being a 'techie' person, I definitely appreciate any tips.

Congratulations, Pinkroses, on your two books! I hope they do very well indeed. I will probably send you a P.M. (My brain's a bit scrambled tonight though....LOL!)
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Kathleen Brugger

Quote:
Thank you Pinkroses! That's a lovely offer.
Thanks everyone for some great replies.
I'm editing now and it's taking ages. I keep seeing things wrong with it! haha

Google Docs seems like good word processing software to use, but the page breaks are behaving oddly at the mo.
Not being a 'techie' person, I definitely appreciate any tips.

Congratulations, Pinkroses, on your two books! I hope they do very well indeed. I will probably send you a P.M. (My brain's a bit scrambled tonight though....LOL!)
Tobi, I'm reading someone else's self-published book right now and it motivated me to come here and give this piece of advice: while you are editing, give the manuscript to someone who can spot typos. It's hard to see them in your own book but it is very important to rid the book of as many as you can. Typos jump off the page to me as I read, and when I am reading a book with lots of them I judge the contents more harshly. It also makes the book seem amateurish (although I am shocked at the typos I find in books from major publishing houses today).
Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Brugger
Tobi, I'm reading someone else's self-published book right now and it motivated me to come here and give this piece of advice: while you are editing, give the manuscript to someone who can spot typos. It's hard to see them in your own book but it is very important to rid the book of as many as you can. Typos jump off the page to me as I read, and when I am reading a book with lots of them I judge the contents more harshly. It also makes the book seem amateurish (although I am shocked at the typos I find in books from major publishing houses today).

For those who can't afford the money or the time, and planned on proofreading / editing themselves, read it backwards - paragraph by paragraph because if you read it forward or normally, you expect a certain flow, and will zip right over mistakes or things you want to change and rearrange. It sounds weird, but works great.

And Tobi, it's a good reminder that just because the writing of it is finished, there's still work to be done and to remain patient!

Great thread!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Master
Check this one out
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christopher-Kennerley/e/B00C0I2D00/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_14?qid=1389344675&sr=1-14

[my son ]