Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-06-2018, 03:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
It's pretty amazing all the various ways humans have dealt with the "body" question/problem in religion and spirituality. Like Medieval monks wearing hair shirts to torture themselves. Flogging themselves. That's like the Buddha story where he was only eating one rice grain a day. Buddha invented the "middle way" of no extremes eventually after torturing himself, yet his rules for monks said zero sex allowed, even alone. But then did Buddha really make up the rules for his monks? Who knows. Then you have all the people throughout history that came up with ideas about how women were temptresses making men evil ect. So monks and nuns were segregated by sex, cloistered even, to remove temptation for "sin." Krishnamurti had sex briefly with his book publishers wife. Lot's of popular "guru's" were way into sex though. Long history of that kind of thing.

In an ashram setting there's particular codes of conduct that ensure a good meditation environment, but they often have no bearing on social life outside the ashram setting. Of course a universal precept of no sex would end everything within a hundred years, so where celebacy makes sense in a very serious meditation context, it's utter nonsense outside that context, though some might prefer a celebate life...

If you consider it as an analogy accepting that sex is among the greatest human passions, then we have a more general impression of passion in the sense that some sex is just self gratifying up to the extent of rape... so we can see in the analogy that the passions gone wild have enormous potential for harm.

Then we might consider how the passions can be overly self-centred and begin to compel people regardless of their greater sensibilities.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
So the fact that you point out you don't accuse her because it isn't decent is a perfectly fine response to the observation you are attached to proving yourself to be correct?

I'm not interested in gossiping abut Sky.

I'm just talking about a thing. I'm right about the things I said about the breath being concurrent with mind/body movement, but I don't care about being right.

Quote:
It's not an accusation or an expectation.

Just a normal conversation.
She says something and then you start babbling about the decency of not accusing as if these topics share a common thread in this.

People can say what they say without accusing other people.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:26 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
People can say what they say without accusing other people.

I find that righteousness often leaves a bitter aftertaste. It's why i never present myself as righteous or as a defender of the truth. It's just not done and always leaves you wondering if it smells as bad as it tastes.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:28 AM
Eelco

There once was a young bloke called ruby,
Who dabbled in consciousness woo-wee.
finding the truth his mind went kapoof and then he was out to convert thee.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm not interested in gossiping abut Sky.

Neither am I.
In case you missed it, My inquiry was about your responses and the intentions behind them. Not her observation. No gossip involved.
The quotes were the full content of post 307. But because this forum has a funny way of quoting, omitting earlier quotes this was the quickest way to show the full context
Old 13-06-2018, 05:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Humans are not flies.

I'd agree with that.
Old 13-06-2018, 05:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Neither am I.
In case you missed it, My inquiry was about your responses and the intentions behind them. Not her observation. No gossip involved.

It's not an observation. The assertion isn't true.

Quote:
The quotes were the full content of post 307. But because this forum has a funny way of quoting, omitting earlier quotes this was the quickest way to show the full context
Old 13-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's not an observation. The assertion isn't true.

Really? And you know this how?
What makes you question her knowledge of her won breath?
Old 13-06-2018, 06:35 AM
Master
Originally Posted by Gem
It's not an observation. The assertion isn't true..

So it must be a lie? Isn't that an accusation...
Old 13-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
I'd agree with this pretty much. To be without desires is undoubtedly the path to happiness however if everyone in the world was without desires we'd all still be living in caves.
Like many aspects of buddhism the middle way is where it's at and I think that Sky has pretty much hit the middle way on the head with her above posting.

Yes the middle way certainly works for me, most of the time anyway Desires are natural and trying to eliminate them goes against our nature.