Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hi Gem,

You present an interesting question.

Which for me may be the crux of the belief philosophy or view.
If beliefs are just what is thought to be, then as thoughts may change and seem so varied, so are beliefs.

In and of itself, seems it is being just what it is being and what I may believe it to be or not seems to matter only in the sense how I may relate to it or not, IMO.

Kind of like taking a walk about a place, could think about what each and every thing is or just enjoy the scenery and take it from there.

It's just a belief, and although it might be an interesting or bizarre or entertaining view, it's not important. It's all imaginary anyway. I mean who really cares that Santa doesn't exist? We used to believe in that once, too.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's just a belief, and although it might be an interesting or bizarre or entertaining view, it's not important. It's all imaginary anyway. I mean who really cares that Santa doesn't exist?

Hi Gem,

A five year old child, perhaps.

Beliefs are important because they are expedients to experience. In a way they are unavoidable, even if they are unavoidably transient. For instance - one has to live 'somewhere' on Earth, and that is going to determine the context of one's experience in the moment. That's all it is.

There is another rather long thread in the Buddhist forum, based on the premise that the Buddha is effectively 'Santa Clause' in this regard.
In that case the Noble Eightfold Path represents just so many reindeer?

~ J

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Just an added thought

If we(in general) as a Human race just accepted each one as a fellow Being with all of our beliefs how much would the world as we live here in it change for us?

I always find suggestions like these funny.. ultimately instead of asking everyone to believe the same thing, can we all just think a certain way about it?

Doesn't work-- Its like asking us to believe the same thing in the first place--
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstandlast
I always find suggestions like these funny.. ultimately instead of asking everyone to believe the same thing, can we all just think a certain way about it?

Doesn't work-- Its like asking us to believe the same thing in the first place--

Hi first handler,

Actually my thought was not we believe the same thing, but accept the differences that may be or diversity in what we think.

Instead of finding division in the diversity, find some common ground and through this perhaps see it is just part of being here.

At the core perhaps we share more in common, then difference.

Just some thoughts on this.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's just a belief, and although it might be an interesting or bizarre or entertaining view, it's not important. It's all imaginary anyway. I mean who really cares that Santa doesn't exist? We used to believe in that once, too.

Suppose what is believed or not matters to the believer. Which to me in and of itself is alright if not forced upon another.
Old 13-06-2016, 12:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir

Hi Gem,

A five year old child, perhaps.

Beliefs are important because they are expedients to experience. In a way they are unavoidable, even if they are unavoidably transient. For instance - one has to live 'somewhere' on Earth, and that is going to determine the context of one's experience in the moment. That's all it is.

There is another rather long thread in the Buddhist forum, based on the premise that the Buddha is effectively 'Santa Clause' in this regard.
In that case the Noble Eightfold Path represents just so many reindeer?

~ J

Buddha is practically Santa. What is being revered as an icon is an imaginary figure in the mind. Jesus, Muhammad, Krisha and other iconic symbols, likewise. We then get this whole thing about respecting that cartoon-like imagery we are culturally conditioned to envisage, and it's funny, because we only 'have to' respect it because when push comes to shove there's no doubt, people will go to any length, no matter how degenerate, to preserve their Godly figures.

The Eightfold path isn't the same because it needs to be tried, thought about critically, and understood in various ways, in that it isn't 'really true'. Unfortunately we have the former issue where people take it to be true because of the authority of the Buddha. Then the whole teaching becomes tokenistic, mere obedience and clung to dogmatically, defeating the whole purpose.
Old 13-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstandlast

On the other hand there is the 'COEXIST' delusion which supposeds that humanity can be harmoniously related and have sectional beliefs. I think people don't actually wat to to go the core of the issue, which is pretty simple because we know major conflict is religiously, nationalistically and politically based, but for some reason humanity is highly interested is preserving these disparaging symbolic structures despite the horrendous consequences of doing so.
Old 13-06-2016, 06:13 AM
Seeker

The core of the issue is the individuals themselves. Religion is just an excuse (one excuse of many).

There are many (too many) sectional beliefs not just in religion but politics. science and philosophy as well.

In my view, the only way that humanity can be harmonious is by each individual improving their own consciousness which would then spread collectively. We have an attitude of "if only X was this way, then the world would be a better place."

I do not agree with sectional beliefs but I do not push my views on people. A person can have a belief but can be a sweet and loving person at the same time. The focus should be internal, not external.
Old 13-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Hello,

What difference does it make what one believes or not?

Sometimes it is the difference between life and death.

Sometimes it is the difference between whether you go to church on sunday or stay home.

Sometimes it is the difference between harming others and taking care of others.

Sometimes it makes no difference.

Making yourself aware of differences and those affects on the world and you, is what matters most when you ask such questions.

The list is endless.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 13-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Guide
This reminds me of something I wrote once: "I am a child of god. This I know. But, I believe in nothing. I am only love. This I know. But, I believe in nothing..."

For me, beliefs are complicated because human beings are complicated. I would rather be simple.

If you want to know what I believe, then ask me. If you want to know what I know, then ask my spirit. Is it impossible? And so it goes...