Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 10-06-2023, 04:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Where would one say the idea of 'God above' is more common? Where would one say the idea of 'God within' is more common?

I would say those two ideas are largely Western and Eastern, with a certain amount of overlap.

In India too, Sanatan Dharma is about idol worship, meaning they consider God as outside. Also AryaSamaj, Sikhism, Buddhism conversely consider God as omnipresent and unknowable, the closest correlation being what we think is empty space* (*Blavatsky and Leadbeater have written extensively about space).

Tantra (energy work) is internal but it’s not exclusive to India. Kundalini, Chi or Holy Spirit are names for the same thing.

Ultimately, there is nothing external because our consciousness can expand becoming the all there is. Conversely, the descent of grace is what but amplification of that energy in mind-body container? (Where we dwell of course)

In my case, I’m an Indian, born as a Hindu but studied in a Christian school and was drawn toward Buddhist beliefs but finally energised by the kundalini or Divine Mother without any knowledge of what it is until after it was activated and advanced significantly (it’s an unending process). So what should I say ~ am I a Hindu, a Christian, a Buddhist or engaged in Tantra?

In my view, whatever path or no-path we take, the journey has been optimised for us by the universe. Become empty that grace may fill us until no separation from source (which we are) remains.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Where would one say the idea of 'God above' is more common? Where would one say the idea of 'God within' is more common?

"The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me, my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”
Meister Eckhart,
Old 10-06-2023, 06:39 AM
Master
Quote:

I would say those two ideas are largely Western and Eastern, with a certain amount of overlap.

It's easy to find Hindu parts where 'God' is definitely above. The Vaishnavists alone are a huge denomination and from what I understand they emphasize it.

If Christianity and Islam are big in the so called ''east'' and yoga big in the so called ''west'' then what does any of this matter anyway? There is a lot of overlap and we emphasize what we want to emphasize.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:24 AM
Master
One of my favourite descriptions of 'the journey' is by CS Lewis who said "Further up and further in"....so in a sense God is both above us and within us.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:25 AM
Master
Another of Lewis' sayings was "Farewell to shadowlands".....I'm waving them bye bye already!

Old 10-06-2023, 05:20 PM
Ascender
So you're Lord Shiva's devotee now?
Old 10-06-2023, 11:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
So you're Lord Shiva's devotee now?

I've incorporated Hinduism and Buddhism into my devotion to and understanding of God.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
Ultimately, there is nothing external because our consciousness can expand becoming the all there is. Conversely, the descent of grace is what but amplification of that energy in mind-body container? (Where we dwell of course)

What Mystics and Easterners completely misunderstand is that most Western religious people don't believe God is omnipresent consciousness at all.

To the religious Westerner God is not about expanding the consciousness. God is totally above and beyond consciousness. A real living person/being/I AM.

Last edited by Honza : 11-06-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:07 AM
Master
All concepts (beliefs) about God, no-God, this or that ~ all of these are concepts, that is, they are functions of mind/thought.

To transcend mind, we must necessarily drop mind. We cannot lift a chair while sitting on it.

So, once lower mind is rested, awareness self-aware reveals the truth of who we are, in silence. The only hurdles are (a) resistance and (b) purity of heart needed.

Reworded, it’s not about knowing but becoming. We become, transmute. Then questions cease bcoz we become the answer.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:39 AM
Master
Which is mystic or Eastern belief. I don't see it that way. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Honza : 11-06-2023 at 08:19 AM.