Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 19-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Deactivated Account
Canine epilepsy

Just wondered whether anyone else's dog (or even cat) has epileptic seizures? Mine has and they have become more frequent after a few years of only having one every 2-3 months and not being on medication. (Her original medication had such severe side effects that it was not worth reducing the seizures for.) She has now been put on a new drug called pexion that is apparently much safer than the original one with fewer side effects. After 4 days on it she has had no seizures so far. Such a relief as the seizures were horrible to witness and for her to experience. I don't know of anyone else who has an animal with primary epilepsy.
Old 19-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Ascender
I have had no personal experience of epilepsy with the dogs I have known. However, here are a couple of helpful links:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html
and
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/

I hope this helps. I also suggest that you ask for advice on some animal forums (especially dog forums).
Old 20-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Deactivated Account
Thank you for the info. those look very helpful. I have looked at dog forums, I was just interested in whether anyone here had a dog with similar issues. Thanks again.
Old 20-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Master
That must be a suffering for your dog and for yourself. I am lucky that all of my dogs didin't had that kind of problem.
Try to to meditation for your dog, visualizing a green light over him.
But my other 2 dogs had other problems cancer leishmania and cancer.
I wish all dogs could be healthy.
Old 20-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Master
I used to have a wonderful chocolate lab. He started to have seizures mid way through his life. It was heartbreaking. He wasn't on medication, but what I did was go to him and hold him. I'd hold his head, sometimes lay on his body Lightly...He would look at me which was re-assuring because during a seizure I didn't think he knew what was going on but it got to the point when he knew one was coming, he would come to me to hold him. I would talk softly to him and get him through it,, pet him, comfort him. He was the best dog ever. I sure miss him.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Newbie ;)

Canine epilepsy onset is not uncommon, around age 5, especially in certain breeds. At my work we commonly see it in the spaniel family and toy breeds. However, I have seen all sorts of breeds of dogs with it.(I'm a vet assistant) The main thing is you want to keep a journal of how often it occurs, duration of the seizure(how long the pet was actively seizes), and if possible get a video of it on your own to show your vet. Also, after starting medication, you should get bloodwork done 1-2 months after starting medication if recommended by your vet to make sure your pet's liver and kidneys are responding appropriately to the medication.
Old 13-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Deactivated Account
Gosh sorry I completely forgot I posted this. Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm sorry that you experienced this with your dog Sarian :( It is heartbreaking. So hard for them and for us.

Pexion hasn't worked for my dog. She was having the same number of seizures while on it and they changed and became random compared to the usual triggers that caused them pre-meds. It's looking likely she will go back onto phenobarbital but at a lower dose - current vet said the initial dose she was given (by her old vet) was rather high.

Thanks Notofthisworld I have started to keep a journal of her seizures. Once she is back on pheno the vet will start to check her bloods again.

Fingers crossed she doesn't get the side effects and that her seizures are reduced...