Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 17-04-2011, 08:01 AM
freeflow

Spritual disease's; Alcoholism, eating disorders etc.

Ive been a member of AA and some other 12step fellowships. They refer these conditions as a spiritual disease. I had a hard time grasping that concept for a long time, until it actually made sense. I always thought my ego was responsible. It's much deeper than that. Compulsive eating and substance abusive is a spiritual disease, but takes a level of understanding to accept. 12 step programs has been a very effective answer in stopping drinking and drugging, but for things like trying to stop eating sugar has been a very hard addiction to beat. I feel like I have to move to the middle of no where. It's on every street corner and in every food. Everybody's got to eat! The compulsions are too strong. Any suggestions?
Old 17-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Master
Just don't buy it, don't bring it home, try and find out just what you are trying to sugarcoat in your life, what sour things are you trying to sweeten.
Old 17-04-2011, 12:26 PM
star-child

Food companies know that sugar is addictive and thats what keeps the money rolling in. Addictions are both psychological and biological and my advice to beat the biological addiction is to eat foods which keep your blood sugar levels at a steady level. So brown pastas, bananas, nuts, seeds, brown rice, the list goes on so do a bit of research if you feel this approach will help you.

I have had eating disorders in the past and I understand how difficult it is to fight binge eating. I recovered on my own accord and with little external support, it was a difficult battle but I'm happy where I am at right now. PM me if you ever want to chat.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
Ive been a member of AA and some other 12step fellowships. They refer these conditions as a spiritual disease. I had a hard time grasping that concept for a long time, until it actually made sense. I always thought my ego was responsible. It's much deeper than that. Compulsive eating and substance abusive is a spiritual disease, but takes a level of understanding to accept. 12 step programs has been a very effective answer in stopping drinking and drugging, but for things like trying to stop eating sugar has been a very hard addiction to beat. I feel like I have to move to the middle of no where. It's on every street corner and in every food. Everybody's got to eat! The compulsions are too strong. Any suggestions?

My advice to anyone battling addiction is to put it on a schedule. As you say, its too strong to just say no to it, but putting yourself on a schedule allows you to be in control. Plan your meals, and plan your snacks. You don't have to cut everything out and you don't have to do it all at once.

My struggle was soda. I went from 4 32oz pops a day to not drinking soda but once or twice a week. It took me 10 years to do it. Is this an easy thing to do? No, at least it wasn't for me. But it is doable. After I got the soda thing on the right track I started in with candy bars, chips, etc. I really just took it one meal at a time, or one purchase at a time.
Old 17-04-2011, 06:50 PM
jjj

I'm glad that you found something that works for you and make sense in your life. That is awesome. It's funny how AA and NA really help some people and others find it detrimental. I guess that it just needs to be personal... after all... (I believe) all healing is self healing. Particularly true because all judgment is self judgment and there is typically a great deal of shame involved in addictions. Spiritual, emotional, and physical aspects of the self do not exist in isolation.

Many blessings and continued healing~
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
Old 18-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Coming2

I feel you on a deep level when talking about the sugar addiction. I am a confirmed white sugar addict and I have tried everything to curb it. At the end of the day the 12 steps help me take care of my diseased brain with all other addictions but the sugar monster is elusive. I have tried OA, Gastric bypass(to be only one of few that dont have dumping),therapy, meditation and prayer....BUT....I have quit everything with great desire yet the struggle ensues with the sugar....do I really want to quit?? I have to think of the pay off at the end of the day. I am not fat but I am not as healthy as I wish I was. When that becomes important enough I think I will be ready to really quit.
Old 18-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Greg

Personally I don't agree with the disease theory for any addiction. I see it for what it is, a maladaptive, complex behaviour and a change in thinking is required. I find 12 step programmes too defeating. They basically tell you that you are an addict for life. Hence why so many people in 12 step fellowships merely trade addictions, afterall they are "addicts" right? I just don't buy it.
We have the power to stop addiction, we don't need higher powers, the power comes from within. The universe has supplied us with that power.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:04 PM
DulcePoetica

Sugar is instant gratification. When we are feeling low, tired, sluggish, depressed, etc. sugar gives is an immediate and very identifiable boost.

Through meditation and mindful eating, over time we can attune ourselves to the more subtle effects of nutritious foods on our bodies and minds. I know it sounds impossible, but the first time I ever craved a salad was all the proof I needed.

It takes a long time to change your relationship with food. Another thing I do is ask myself if what I am eating would make good fertilizer. I'm a vegetarian and basically, if I wouldn't incorporate it into my garden soil, I tell myself I probably shouldn't be eating it.

As to 12 step programs suggesting reliance on a higher power- the last time I checked, the power of the universe was much greater than the power of human will.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Dave World

Drive out the bad with the good. Buy fruit and vegetables, and at every opportunity eat some before consuming the bad stuff. Gradually you'll notice that the processed "food" begins to pale by comparison. Crave sweets? Try a good bar of dark chocolate. When the sugar big bites you, have one little square of the chocolate and let it SLOWLY melt in your mouth. Draw it out. Then drink water, and more water and keep it up. Try sweetening tea with stevia. Keep sugarless gum around. I know, it's got aspartame in it, but it's only a transitional measure. Often sugar cravings are the result of hypoglycemia, the fancy name for low blood sugar. It's important to eat lots of small meals made up of protein and complex carbs. The problem with refined sugar is that when you eat it, your blood sugar skyrockets, then the pancreas kicks in with over production of insulin, all of the sugar is digested, and then you crash. Suddenly you are in insulin shock, and the cycle repeats. I repeat, drive the bad out with the good. Finally, when temptation hits, stall your response. Postpone gratification just a little. It builds inner strength. /// Kudos on 12-stepping it. My personal favorite program. Unfortunately, coffee, donuts and cigarettes are common at AA. Try bringing in a loaf of good whole wheat bread and some honey butter. They eat it up (haha) when I do that. And always, drink water, drink water, ad infinitum. [sorry about the Latin, you goofy ol' spell check]