Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 19-07-2014, 06:34 PM
yumi14

Consciousness-where does it go during black outs or dreamless sleep?"

This confuses me. Where does it go?

Thanks for any insight
Old 19-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Stillness_Speaks

I don't know :) It also depends on what you mean when you say "Consciousness"? The deeper aspect of "......" is there all the time I think. The more personal version/aspect of it rise in "....." and also return to.....

Anyway, Rupert Spira talks much about it, here is one free video:

The True Experience of Deep Sleep
Old 19-07-2014, 07:34 PM
yumi14

Thank you, I will check out the video :)

Yes, I'm just wondering where consciousness goes if one has dreamless sleep or being drugged against their will or like a blackout from alcohol. Things like that.

I suppose it all ties somehow into the subconscious mind, but what about the aware part of consciousness? If I understand people like Tom Campbell, Anthony Peake, William Buhlman, then we are just consciousness. So, if all we truly, fundamentally are is consciousness, what happens during a blackout? Makes my head spin thinking about it.
Old 19-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Deactivated Account

I thought it went to the astral realm. Or maybe deeper in deep sleep.
Old 19-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Badger1777

Why does it have to 'go' anywhere?

One of the greatest tricks you can do with your mind, which paves the way for so many other great great things like astral projection or 'hearing' spirits etc, is to empty the mind of all thought. People practice this through meditation, and it takes some doing because the human mind is fundamentally a noisy thing, but it can be achieved. In a way, this is almost like a blackout, in that once the mind is empty of all thought, then there is no awareness of time and if you're lucky, even no awareness of body, just awareness of existence and nothing more.

I've been unconscious. Most recently was when I collapsed while wired up to a heart monitor in the doctor's consulting room. I regained consciousness some time later, full of pipes and wires and surrounded by ambulance crew. To me, no time had passed between passing out and coming round, but I gather I was out cold for about half an hour. Where was my consciousness then? Probably where it always is, but remember, time has no meaning outside of the physical confines of the body. Equally it is possible that I was aware of everything, but just forgot it all on coming round. I think this latter one is more likely. I know from lucid dreams and astral projections that it is difficult to bring memories back. You can bring so much back but a lot of detail seems to get lost in the transition as you wake up/bail out. If you want to bring memories back, you have to be selective about it and focus on keeping hold of the important bits. If you pass out for medical reasons or alcohol overuse etc, you're mind is probably not functioning well enough to be selective as to what to retain when you wake up, so you lose it all perhaps.
Old 20-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi14
This confuses me. Where does it go?

Thanks for any insight

Do you mean losing the experience of the awake feeling of "I" or "Self", because as Stillness says there are levels of consciousness we have no conscious awareness of nor can we control.