Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Music doesn't make you feel anything. It doesn't 'cause' you to feel bad, or happy. All it does is bring out emotions that are already in YOU. If you like the emotion of certain music, that's because you have that emotion. Turning off the music isn't going to make your emotions go away.

No, but it can be a first step towards managing those emotions by denying them a reactive form of expression (i.e. venting, which simply habituates a person to deal with the most superficial level of their experience without addressing the underlying fixation on external conditions that gave rise to the emotion/s in the first place) until their true source can be identified and overcome.

Quote:
I like all kinds of music, sometimes I'm listening to heavy, dark stuff and other times I'm listening to simpler, lighter music. It just depends on what I feel like listening to.

Being unafraid to allow your emotional responses to inform your decision making is a beneficial thing, without doubt. Learning to identify the source of those emotions, however, is even more beneficial.

Quote:
I'm sure that plants dying when being exposed to death metal has nothing to do with the style of music or the emotion it's conveying, but probably something more scientific.

Like what?

Quote:
This idea that any kind of music is 'bad' for you is just superstition, mainly fueled by religious fears. If all you listen to is depressing music, that means you're depressed. Instead of blaming it on music, try to change yourself and you'll feel like listening to something else. .

Exactly, because the type of music a person gravitates towards is reflective of their state of being. In the interim, however, fueling the fire while simultaneously trying to extinguish it probably wouldn't be particularly productive, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with having emotions (happy, sad, angry). No emotion is wrong or bad. But if they're overwhelminc you to the point that you can't function normally then you have to take steps to try to change yourself.
That's right, and when done with the right spirit, turning off the music can be one of those steps.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by radareyes

Exactly, because the type of music a person gravitates towards is reflective of their state of being. In the interim, however, fueling the fire while simultaneously trying to extinguish it probably wouldn't be particularly productive, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Hi radareyes!

I don't know why anyone would fuel a fire while trying to stop it. That sounds silly! :)

I say listen to whatever music you want to listen to. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it. Don't blame your problems on anything or anyone besides yourself. I don't understand this concept of liking heavy music, but thinking it's bad to listen to. It's like hitting yourself over and over while you keep saying 'stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.' If you don't like being hit, then stop hitting yourself. If you like being hit, you have a problem that you should get help for.

As for music and plants, I don't think the plant knows what it's listening to, it just hears either soothing sounds or harsh sounds. The music could be saying 'i love satan', but if the music is nice and soothing, I don't think the plant will care what's being said.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Sundialed

Here metal fans I use to delve deep into the brutal sounds but this is my new heavy sound. Yes it is electronic, but, it's still heavy ;)

Spor - Pacifica (Chasing Shadows Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbBHEzWQA0
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM
SunnyHaze

I wouldnt mind heavy metal as i listen to wide variety of Genre's
I dont think it Changes your mood to much or freequency but just be careful or that may be the case as its happend once before
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Sungirl

Quote:
I don't really understand the concept of 'wallowing'. If someone prefers to be in pain, I'd say that reveals a deeper emotional issue that needs to be addressed. Instead of looking at it like 'I need to stop wallowing', I would try to find out why I'm wallowing and take a look at that.

Some people like to be depressed, even though they complain about it all the time. To me that doesn't mean they need to change their music, that's not going to change anything. Instead I would try to find out what the underlying cause is.

Same thing with self-pity, it's a problem with the person, what's going on inside of them, not from anything coming from the outside.

Just being honest with yourself and taking responsibility instead of blaming outside forces makes a big difference.

Seawolf

I think there is something fundamental that you are failing to see. You are clearly a very aware and intellegent person who have an avid inner watcher that can see what is actually going on. This stops you wallowing. You see you are feeling an emotion, see the effect it is having and act in a positive way.

That's great!!!!! Fair play to you

But not everyone is capable of that. Some people are slaves to their emotions, they are what they are feeling and they cannot see outside of it. This means they can wallow. Rather than being aware of what is happening and pull themselves out of it, they attract things that will keep them where they are, whether that be low vibrational food, alcohol, drugs, negative people and (if music is meangiful to them) music that makes them feel sad/angry/hopeless. For some this will be some forms of metal. This is where some music can be bad for you.

When I was in a bad relationship I listened to british folk. The sorrow and desolation that it expressed echoed what I was feeling. Now I am in a happy place I am not even drawn to listen to it.

I am now in a middle ground. I am aware that certain music brings out emotions that I don't want to feel so I stay away from it. But there are times when I still get sucked in and end up sobbing. I hope one day I will be like you, but as I always say, I am work in progress.

For now I still listen to metal but it is what we call "happy bouncy" metal, it is still very heavy, but upbeat. I steer clear of the stuff that makes me feel unhappy.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
Seawolf

I think there is something fundamental that you are failing to see. You are clearly a very aware and intellegent person who have an avid inner watcher that can see what is actually going on. This stops you wallowing. You see you are feeling an emotion, see the effect it is having and act in a positive way.

That's great!!!!! Fair play to you

But not everyone is capable of that. Some people are slaves to their emotions, they are what they are feeling and they cannot see outside of it. This means they can wallow. Rather than being aware of what is happening and pull themselves out of it, they attract things that will keep them where they are, whether that be low vibrational food, alcohol, drugs, negative people and (if music is meangiful to them) music that makes them feel sad/angry/hopeless. For some this will be some forms of metal. This is where some music can be bad for you.

When I was in a bad relationship I listened to british folk. The sorrow and desolation that it expressed echoed what I was feeling. Now I am in a happy place I am not even drawn to listen to it.

I am now in a middle ground. I am aware that certain music brings out emotions that I don't want to feel so I stay away from it. But there are times when I still get sucked in and end up sobbing. I hope one day I will be like you, but as I always say, I am work in progress.

For now I still listen to metal but it is what we call "happy bouncy" metal, it is still very heavy, but upbeat. I steer clear of the stuff that makes me feel unhappy.

I apologize for sounding too harsh or distant. Sometimes I don't realize I'm do that. I had a difficult life that's made me see things in kind of a 'no-nonsense' sort of way.

I remember when I was younger I had a very strong connection to negative emotions, but I didn't understand it or know how to change it. I've learned over the years that I was just reacting normally to negative things that happened, as anyone would. Now I understand that I'm totally responsible for how I feel, so if I'm feeling bad it's not anyone's fault but mine and I'm the only one who can change it.

The secret I've found to changing how I feel is to not blame anyone for the bad things that I've experienced, but to take responsibility for everything. Instead of getting angry at others for what they did to me, I pray for forgiveness and love myself. That may sound strange, but it's worked pretty well. I guess I just got tired of being so angry all the time that I was willing to try anything.

Keep loving yourself! It sounds like you're doing good. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
I apologize for sounding too harsh or distant. Sometimes I don't realize I'm do that. I had a difficult life that's made me see things in kind of a 'no-nonsense' sort of way.

I remember when I was younger I had a very strong connection to negative emotions, but I didn't understand it or know how to change it. I've learned over the years that I was just reacting normally to negative things that happened, as anyone would. Now I understand that I'm totally responsible for how I feel, so if I'm feeling bad it's not anyone's fault but mine and I'm the only one who can change it.

The secret I've found to changing how I feel is to not blame anyone for the bad things that I've experienced, but to take responsibility for everything. Instead of getting angry at others for what they did to me, I pray for forgiveness and love myself. That may sound strange, but it's worked pretty well. I guess I just got tired of being so angry all the time that I was willing to try anything.

Keep loving yourself! It sounds like you're doing good. :)

No need for apologies and it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. I just wanted to point out that others are not quite at that stage that you are, and as this thread talks about the effects of music I felt it important to clear that up.

Go you for moving forward and healing your hurts.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Dinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions.

Spirited
same here, it lowers the vibration...
what do u listen now exactly
Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by radareyes
In my experience, music is very simply a reflection of the consciousness that produced it, and tends to appeal to people who share or wish to cultivate a similar quality of consciousness. Metal to me is predominantly fear being anesthetized and reinforced by aggression.

I have to disagree and say that music can become more and/or something other than simply a reflection of who made it, once it's inside our own heads. That is my experience .

Dar
Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I have to disagree and say that music can become more and/or something other than simply a reflection of who made it, once it's inside our own heads. That is my experience .

Dar

I'd say that an experience taking place inside our own heads isn't fundamentally different, just muddled by the fact that it has now been layered by extraneous perceptual filters that distort the essence of that experience. Kind of like wanting to enjoy a glass of orange juice but drinking a glass that's been spiked with milk after just having brushed your teeth.