Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
If it didn't/doesn't exist we wouldn't be talking about it

Then why did you start a thread on VIOLENCE if it does not exist?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Then why did you start a thread on VIOLENCE if it does not exist?

Of course it EXISTS read the OT plenty there to prove it, so they say
Old 10-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Of course it EXISTS read the OT plenty there to prove it, so they say
You claim violence exist today in Christianity but you can not give even one example.

As for violence, much violence has been committed by Buddhists but nobody seems to want to talk about that. Which religion has more violence: Buddhism or Christianity?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Master

This is the opening post:
Quote:
Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

A Teenager asked me this question and I answered in my own personal opinion that the OT is not the ' Word of God ' which of course led to more questions and an never-ending conversation which I bowed out off and advised them to do some contemplating....

You should've explained that the "terrible acts of violence found in the OT" are symbolic messages, as everything there is. You have to interpret those stories, like with dreams.

Their value is in the underlying message, not in the form. The church's interpretation isn't necessarily accurate either.

Add to that errors and wording changes during copying and translations, then the individual understanding of each faithful reader, and you can see how the original meaning is lost.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:23 AM
Master

for theists the questioning of the morality of violence is something that comes from God. so if any violence appears in the scripture it has to be resolved somehow or other. the key point seems to be that the questioning of it comes from God which is inbuilt into us. It seems better to value these things we have built in sometimes and trust in them to me
Old 11-04-2020, 01:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
for theists the questioning of the morality of violence is something that comes from God. so if any violence appears in the scripture it has to be resolved somehow or other. the key point seems to be that the questioning of it comes from God which is inbuilt into us. It seems better to value these things we have built in sometimes and trust in them to me
sky123 claims the Old Testament contains a lot of violence.

The first major act of violence mentioned in the Bible was when Cain killed his brother. Neither man was a Christian, Jew, Hebrew, etc.

One can claim this proves Christianity is violent but I do not think any reasonable person would accept that argument.

I had one business in which one relatively high ranking Buddhist paid for two transactions with a check. Both checks were worthless. I helped the County's prosecutors office catch the chap. At that time, he had passed 32 pieces of paper that they were aware of. He pleaded guilty, got probation. Shortly afterwards, I got reimbursed for the two bad checks. Later he had alterations with the police and they shot him done dead.

Because of that incident and other incidents I have had with Buddhist, can we honestly say Buddhist are violent?

I do not think so!

Old 11-04-2020, 03:24 AM
Molearner

Quote:
Some Christian Schools have banned some verses being taught, this is one amongst many.

1 Corinthians.

"Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Can you imagine the trauma this verse could cause to Children who actually live in these types of environments through no fault of their own...

Sky123,

There is a difference between Inheriting the kingdom and entering the kingdom.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
This is the opening post:

You should've explained that the "terrible acts of violence found in the OT" are symbolic messages, as everything there is. You have to interpret those stories, like with dreams.

Their value is in the underlying message, not in the form. The church's interpretation isn't necessarily accurate either.

Add to that errors and wording changes during copying and translations, then the individual understanding of each faithful reader, and you can see how the original meaning is lost.

The problem is inavalan some youngsters are unfortunately living within ' Fundamentalist ' and what I would call ' Cult ' Families and they believe every word from the Bible, the mental trauma some must endure is horrendous.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
sky123 claims the Old Testament contains a lot of violence.

The first major act of violence mentioned in the Bible was when Cain killed his brother. Neither man was a Christian, Jew, Hebrew, etc.

One can claim this proves Christianity is violent but I do not think any reasonable person would accept that argument.

I had one business in which one relatively high ranking Buddhist paid for two transactions with a check. Both checks were worthless. I helped the County's prosecutors office catch the chap. At that time, he had passed 32 pieces of paper that they were aware of. He pleaded guilty, got probation. Shortly afterwards, I got reimbursed for the two bad checks. Later he had alterations with the police and they shot him done dead.

Because of that incident and other incidents I have had with Buddhist, can we honestly say Buddhist are violent?

I do not think so!

Yes BJ, I do claim the OT contains a lot of violence and will continue to say so....
Old 11-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky123,

There is a difference between Inheriting the kingdom and entering the kingdom.

Yes I know Mo, thanks...
Closed Thread