Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-05-2020, 12:23 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siemens
You proceed on a premise that is different from the premise I outlined in my first post. I learned that it doesn't make much sense to discuss on the basis of diverging premises.
Really?

I have often found that to be one of the most useful places to look. Perhaps your initial premise could be incorrect and from that point on anything based upon it will be flawed as it must follow from it. Much time and effort can be spent on trying to build a sound theory based on an incorrect premise. If a premise is incorrect, it will eventually become a road block to going any further.

At the close of the nineteenth century Newtonian physics was considered to be a nearly complete description of the universe with only a few details yet to be worked out. Then along came the twentieth century and they realized it was all based on a flawed premise and the whole thing unraveled as relativity and quantum mechanics developed and the new picture of the universe diverged dramatically. IMO, material realism as a premise is an anchor that is not needed and just holds one back from exploring premises that explain the soul and our "reality" much better and much more easily. I don't think a working technical explanation of the soul can be achieved if one starts from the materialistic premise, but I suppose one can try if they feel bound to it. Many struggle to give up that deterministic materialistic premise for reality, even Albert did and he was one of the founders of both those scientific revolutions.