Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 30-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Love&Light

Mermaids portrayed as evil in pirates Of Carribean movie..

I've just watched that new pirates of the Caribean movie..

There was a scene where they portrayed mermaids as being evil.. am I the only one that resents them doing this?

I'm also not too pleased with some of the Angel art I've come across on the internet aswell... so called dark (or gothic?) angels holding skulls.. etc.. It's wrong and insulting no?

Old 30-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love&Light

There was a scene where they portrayed mermaids as being evil.. am I the only one that resents them doing this?

I'm also not too pleased with some of the Angel art I've come across on the internet aswell... so called dark (or gothic?) angels holding skulls.. etc.. It's wrong and insulting no?

In some myths mermaids did lead sailors to their doom, I don't see the problem.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Master
I haven't seen it, but I kinda like the idea of evil mermaids..

I find a hot mermaid trying to seduce the protagonist to the sea more thrilling than some little mermaid..

Why can't an angel hold a skull? It's our cultural perception that bones are bad. Tribal people around the world wear bone necklaces.
Old 30-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Master
I know, you can't keep the mermaids down on the farm, lol. Sorry~

And I was just reading a thread the other day where one of the Hindu goddesses is quite something, wearing a skirt made of human arms, holding a severed head in one hand, kinda wild...

Old 30-05-2011, 10:52 PM
nightowl

Mermaid stories exist in many different cultures. In folklore and myth mermaids are not always seen as good kind creatures. The movie probably used these stories to build their mermaid character. Pirate's movies are usually pretty good at getting the folklore stories incorporated into the script.

A number of mythic characters that we associate cuteness and good to nowadays didn't start out that way, such as the leprechaun, the genie and fairies.

nightowl
Old 30-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
I haven't seen it, but I kinda like the idea of evil mermaids..

I find a hot mermaid trying to seduce the protagonist to the sea more thrilling than some little mermaid..

Why can't an angel hold a skull? It's our cultural perception that bones are bad. Tribal people around the world wear bone necklaces.

Speaking of Little Mermaid. They are actually making a darker twisted version of the Little Mermaid.

As for the OP, it is based on the old belief that was mentioned here, that Mermaids would lead sailors to their doom.

What was the old Mythological creature that would sing and cause sailors to be lured to their doom?
Old 30-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Master
Little Mermaid is darker and twisted in the first place. I believe in the original story, she did get her legs but it felt to her like walking on broken glass and then she was rejected it in the end anyway, died I think? Awful awful story - not at all like the Disney version. It was never a fairy tale I enjoyed.

There was a myth about Sirens whose voices would be so tempting that sailors would sail right up onto the rocks.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love&Light

As others have mentioned, the whole dark and vicious mermaid is nothing new -it's how they were usually thought of in many cultures. Sometimes they'd be willing to offer help to lost sailors and sometimes they'd drag them to their deaths. Most types of water spirits are ambivalent in general, if not outrightly malign. Personally I find it refreshing to see more "traditional" mermaids, rather than another one who looks like it's been air-brushed by Hallmark. lol.

And angels with gothic imagery doesn't bother me. Angels aren't all sweetness n' light. In their original mythos they can be rather... ehm not-so-nice? I guess it depends on how God is feeling in the particular story
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaere
Little Mermaid is darker and twisted in the first place. I believe in the original story, she did get her legs but it felt to her like walking on broken glass and then she was rejected it in the end anyway, died I think? Awful awful story - not at all like the Disney version. It was never a fairy tale I enjoyed.
I have to agree with this.. sea creatures with human legs is an awful idea..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Most types of water spirits are ambivalent in general, if not outrightly malign.
It's those deep dark depths.. it corrupts them. There's something lurking there deep down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
And angels with gothic imagery doesn't bother me. Angels aren't all sweetness n' light. In their original mythos they can be rather... ehm not-so-nice? I guess it depends on how God is feeling in the particular story
Any angel that is not the typical white skinned blond haired is refreshing.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Ascender

Yeah, I thought so to. But at the end of the day, it's just a bit of fun escapism based off fictional myths and legends. So just enjoy it.