Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 14-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Suspended
Master

It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience,
including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path,
and to proceed. Ram Dass

Last edited by RyanWind : 14-11-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 15-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
and to proceed. Ram Dass

That's very sensible advice but sometimes hard to put into practise, if I put a piece of chocolate into my mouth I expect a lovely creamy taste when it starts to dissolve

On a serious note, yes it is better to expect nothing and you will never be dissapointed.
Old 15-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Master

and to proceed. Ram Dass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
That's very sensible advice but sometimes hard to put into practise, if I put a piece of chocolate into my mouth I expect a lovely creamy taste when it starts to dissolve

On a serious note, yes it is better to expect nothing and you will never be dissapointed.

More it is about letting go. If you expect/desire a thing or experience it is that desire that will keep you away from it.

For example if you go into a meditation session with the desire to experience silence that desire during the session will stop you from experiencing it.

Also, it is the negative ones that shows us that which we are holding onto. That which we need to learn to let go of within ourselves. They are learning moments along the path
Old 15-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Suspended
Sky,

There's a Chinese idiom: a thief crying " Stop thief"贼喊捉贼 that's someone still harbour evil intentions or can't suppress evil thoughts or never give up one's sinister designs.

Who is the negative ones? ......Pointing to who? That should be his negative thoughts not simply give other terms---- negative ones. Good English.
Old 15-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy

and to proceed. Ram Dass

More it is about letting go. If you expect/desire a thing or experience it is that desire that will keep you away from it.

For example if you go into a meditation session with the desire to experience silence that desire during the session will stop you from experiencing it.

Also, it is the negative ones that shows us that which we are holding onto. That which we need to learn to let go of within ourselves. They are learning moments along the path

If I go into a meditation session I wouldn't be desiring anything, I would just be meditating
Old 15-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Master
Quote:
If I go into a meditation session I wouldn't be desiring anything, I would just be meditating

Yes but within meditation.

For example:

The desire to reside outside of thoughts, for mindfulness. The desire for bliss, for ecstasy, for silence, for any experience to happen.

It is not an easy thing to do.
Old 15-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes but within meditation.

For example:

The desire to reside outside of thoughts, for mindfulness. The desire for bliss, for ecstasy, for silence, for any experience to happen.

It is not an easy thing to do.

I don't desire bliss, silence or ecstasy so it's easy for me, when I practise mindfulness I don't desire to reside outside of thoughts, If it happens it's a bonus
Old 15-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't desire bliss, silence or ecstasy so it's easy for me, when I practise mindfulness I don't desire to reside outside of thoughts, If it happens it's a bonus

Very cool, but not everyone is the same so I was sharing :)
Old 15-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Very cool, but not everyone is the same so I was sharing :)

It's good to share, as you say we are all different.
Old 15-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:

Well only if you are stuck fixating on that idea. The idea in itself is not bad. I can feel overwhelmed by thinking too much and think, "I am going to go for a walk to get out of my head, back into a centered quite place." Then I go for a walk and drop thinking. The thought I desired quiet in my mind was a good thing. Also notice this thought sprung from the awareness of what was present, a noisy mind.

But yea if one is fully enlightened they don't desire anything. They just move to reflect what they are inwardly, outwardly. To them, a quiet mind or a noisy mind are both the same, only ideas.
Closed Thread