Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 31-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Lepus

Question Various Pantheons

Hello,

What are your thoughts regarding non-western European gods and goddesses (Aztec, Mayan, Hindu, African, Egyptian) being incorporated into Wicca a western European religion? Should the gods and goddesses specifically from the Celtic, Norse, Greek, Roman be the only set of pantheons to be honored in Wicca?

What do you think from a non-European point of view - do you disapprove with Wiccans use any of the pantheons that originate in your culture, whether you're Indian, Egyptian, American Indigenous, African?

Quills Quiver
Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Master
Makes wicca look a bit of a joke to use a pik-n-mix approach to deities ! However, given that all deities are based on Yin-Yang or Masculine-Feminine principles, it matters little what you call them. Personally, I honour Gaia.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Makes wicca look a bit of a joke to use a pik-n-mix approach to deities ! However, given that all deities are based on Yin-Yang or Masculine-Feminine principles, it matters little what you call them. Personally, I honour Gaia.

I personally believe each gods and goddesses has their own set of qualities to distinguish who they are.

Quills Quiver
Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Master

When Gardner first gave birth to his tradition of Wicca, the god of that tradition was Cernunnos, also known as The Horned God and a moon goddess often referred to as Aradia. Covens descending from Gardner's covens and solitary practitioners have honoured those deities down through the years but also have called on other deities from the Celtic, Roman and Greek etc. pantheons. But all in all, the cultures from which these deities sprang were not so very different.

However, it's my belief that if you start "working" with gods such as the Aztec and Mayan deities, you're going to be dealing with a very different entity/energy than any of the usual Western deities. Aztec beiefs and Wiccan beliefs arise from very different backgrounds and there are many contradictions to consider.

Many Wiccans and neo-pagans consider that all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess. However, the Aztec religion was/is definitely polytheistic - all the gods are considered separate entities.

One of the tenets of today's neo-Wicca is 'An it harm none......" This sort of thinking is a far cry from the bloodthirsty, human sacrificing Aztecs - I really don't think that modern day Wiccans could accept that, so why would a Wiccan want to have dealings with an Aztec deity?

African deities such as Legba, Chango and Oshun are also connected to a very different culture than what the Wiccan gods/goddesses spring from, why would a Wiccan want to incorporate these entities into their Wiccan tradition? If a person wanted to "get to know" these entities then they would be better of studying Hoodoo and Vodoun, etc. (IMHO)

As for the Egyptian gods and goddesses they are a little different. Isis is a Mother Goddess who is so well loved in many places of the world and I believe she has crossed over the cultural barrier.

I don't know much at all about Hindu deities but again, they stem from a very different culture.

I think trying to incorporate deities from an ancient religion that has pretty much nothing in common with the European traditions would be doing a disservice to both religions.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
When Gardner first gave birth to his tradition of Wicca, the god of that tradition was Cernunnos, also known as The Horned God and a moon goddess often referred to as Aradia. Covens descending from Gardner's covens and solitary practitioners have honoured those deities down through the years but also have called on other deities from the Celtic, Roman and Greek etc. pantheons. But all in all, the cultures from which these deities sprang were not so very different.

However, it's my belief that if you start "working" with gods such as the Aztec and Mayan deities, you're going to be dealing with a very different entity/energy than any of the usual Western deities. Aztec beiefs and Wiccan beliefs arise from very different backgrounds and there are many contradictions to consider.

Many Wiccans and neo-pagans consider that all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess. However, the Aztec religion was/is definitely polytheistic - all the gods are considered separate entities.

One of the tenets of today's neo-Wicca is 'An it harm none......" This sort of thinking is a far cry from the bloodthirsty, human sacrificing Aztecs - I really don't think that modern day Wiccans could accept that, so why would a Wiccan want to have dealings with an Aztec deity?

African deities such as Legba, Chango and Oshun are also connected to a very different culture than what the Wiccan gods/goddesses spring from, why would a Wiccan want to incorporate these entities into their Wiccan tradition? If a person wanted to "get to know" these entities then they would be better of studying Hoodoo and Vodoun, etc. (IMHO)

As for the Egyptian gods and goddesses they are a little different. Isis is a Mother Goddess who is so well loved in many places of the world and I believe she has crossed over the cultural barrier.

I don't know much at all about Hindu deities but again, they stem from a very different culture.

I think trying to incorporate deities from an ancient religion that has pretty much nothing in common with the European traditions would be doing a disservice to both religions.

If all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess why do many choose to name their God and Goddess from any of the western European pantheons (Roman, Greek, Celtic, Norse) that resonates with the practitioner? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having all gods and goddesses infix into one God and Goddess? Sounds like these gods and goddesses are not so much a like after all, but different.

Why do you think the Egyptian pantheon has crossed over the cultural barrier? Is it possible for other non-western European pantheons except Egypt to cross this cultural barrier? Also, how are the Egyptians gods and goddesses related to the western European pantheons? You mentioned that all of the European pantheons have a similar culture which they sprang up making them closely similar. The Egyptians are a different culture from the western European world.

Why do many incorporate non-western European deities into Wicca? Is this cultural appropriation to some extend? Why is the Egyptian pantheon an exception to incorporate into Wicca?

Quill Quiver

Last edited by Lepus : 02-01-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Master
Egyptian deities are popular probably because of the wealth of associated lore attached. Jenny and I are in agreement that all masculine deities are one, as are all feminine deities. This duality is yin-yang which represents the prime driver of the universe, often referred to in wicca as the Lord and Lady.
Personally, I am not interested in deities as such but Gaia is something different - I can see Her, touch Her, feel Her, taste Her etc. She provides my food, drink, air to breath. Many hold this belief and Lovelock then provided the proof of Her existance, Gaia is the only one where there is scientific evidence. The Belief in Gaia is slowly changing into a factual entity - belief no longer required, She just is !
Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 AM
Master

Yes, actually I believe that more and more people are honouring Gaia these days.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Master

Good questions, Quills Quiver.

I think it's because of the love of Isis that brought Egypt's magical tradition to the fore. And Budge made it popular with his works, too. Actually, I don't think that the Egyptian deities are related to the European deities. For some reason, and this is just my feeling, I think that working with Isis is just fine.

Other pantheons, though, such as the African ones and the Aztec ones are sooo different that it's difficult to bring them into a Wiccan practice - again, that's my opinion. If you start doing that then you're not practicing Wicca.

I don't really know why some people incorporate non-Western deities into Wicca but if you want to work with African deities - then wouldn't it be better to study Hoodoo, Vodou, Santeria etc? Why would an African deity want to enter a Wiccan circlel? And yes, surely it's cultural appropriation.

Jenny Crow
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Egyptian deities are popular probably because of the wealth of associated lore attached. Jenny and I are in agreement that all masculine deities are one, as are all feminine deities. This duality is yin-yang which represents the prime driver of the universe, often referred to in wicca as the Lord and Lady. Personally, I am not interested in deities as such but Gaia is something different - I can see Her, touch Her, feel Her, taste Her etc. She provides my food, drink, air to breath. Many hold this belief and Lovelock then provided the proof of Her existance, Gaia is the only one where there is scientific evidence. The Belief in Gaia is slowly changing into a factual entity - belief no longer required, She just is !

There is a polarity and unity of separate halves that is fundamental to Wicca. Wicca is polytheistic and see many gods and goddesses. The only reason Wiccans acknowledge Lord and Lady is simply to reference their future God and Goddess from any of the Western European pantheon. Not many Wiccans know who their deities are; therefore, many practitioners settle with just Lord and Lady. There will be a time when a God and a Goddess will make themselves known; whether in a dream, divination, meditation, or in the physical world.

Would you say the sun to be the masculinity? How do you perceive the universe? The moon? The other planets? Also, I am curious on your thoughts of the afterlife?

Quills Quiver

Last edited by Lepus : 03-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Good questions, Quills Quiver.

I think it's because of the love of Isis that brought Egypt's magical tradition to the fore. And Budge made it popular with his works, too. Actually, I don't think that the Egyptian deities are related to the European deities. For some reason, and this is just my feeling, I think that working with Isis is just fine.

Other pantheons, though, such as the African ones and the Aztec ones are sooo different that it's difficult to bring them into a Wiccan practice - again, that's my opinion. If you start doing that then you're not practicing Wicca.

I don't really know why some people incorporate non-Western deities into Wicca but if you want to work with African deities - then wouldn't it be better to study Hoodoo, Vodou, Santeria etc? Why would an African deity want to enter a Wiccan circlel? And yes, surely it's cultural appropriation.

Jenny Crow

I definitely agree with you. These non-Western European deities are not part of the European culture and shouldn't be incorporated into Wicca.

Quills Quiver