Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 26-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Master
Hedgehogs in decline in UK

Reported today. In the 1950's there were 30 million "hogs" in Britain. Now down to about 1 million and dropping about 30000 a year. Red squirrels, harvest mice, Scottish wildcats are also in decline but otters, bats, and water vole numbers are increasing.

Back to the "hogs" - coming up to hibernation time. Gardeners - leave a patch of your garden wild to provide natural shelter and food. AND check bonfires and compost heaps BEFORE lighting or forking over. If you must put food out for them, cat food is OK.

So, bad and good news on the Nature front there.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Shining Star

I have one in my garden now...
Old 26-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Master
It's a shame that their numbers are in decline!

The hedgehogs used to climb the steps in my old garden, but I haven't seen any here yet. However there's allotments at the back, so perhaps that's why they stick to the other side of the hedge.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Time

WTH, I didnt know they were native to the UK!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Fennic

I'm sad to hear about the figures, I was aware they was on the decline, but not of the harvest mice and scottish wild cats. I'm afraid to see this becoming worse before the goverment even bats an eyelid to any sort of protection or help for them, if at all.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 AM
glenos

I have got a mate who works at a rubbish tip and 'hogs often arrive in the green waste. He always has some living in his bath(!)

G
Old 13-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenos
I have got a mate who works at a rubbish tip and 'hogs often arrive in the green waste. He always has some living in his bath(!)

G

Well done, your mate !
Old 14-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Golden28

I havent seen one hedgehog since i moved into the countryside :/ im in the Uk Finchingfield, ive seen every other type of animal except a hedgehog so far :( we have neighbours who own donkeys chickens etc, ive got a family of rabbits in the garden, along with as the name applies every colour of finch, its really beautiful here, amazing scenery.

Im hoping i find hedgehogs at some point we have everything else arround us.. The hedgehog population seems to be as rare as the sparrow's nowadays such a shame :(
Old 14-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Master
The hedgehog is largely nocturnal which may explain your lack of. To attract them into your garden {?}, you leave a patch "rough" - lots of leaf litter, etc.

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/
Old 18-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Boldylocks

I love hedgehogs! They aren't native here in the U.S. but occasionally someone here will purchase one as a pet (probably illegal). We do have alot of woodchucks here in Pa.. which are much bigger and not as cute. I put out some lettuce and vegetable scraps for these Woodchuck sweeties. The nicest sight is seeing them quietly snacking on the vegetable scraps right along with the rabbits and the birds that I leave seed out for. :-)