Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 27-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Wisa'ka

Do you think of -

'Native Americans' as mystical characters liken to J.R.R. Tolkein's silvian elves ?

Ever been to a large resvervation and actually met real Indians, or had a meaningful conversation with one of us ?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about those of us who would spank non-Indians by selling them enhanced bits and pieces of our traditional beliefs or those claiming to have been one of us in a past life.

Ever heard what happened at the Cheyenne River reservation two winters ago ?

Ever heard of Leonard Peltier, Dennis Banks, Russell Means or AIM ?
Old 27-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Enya

Nope, never really got into the 'noble savage' myth... Thankfully, I encountered real people with worldly problems like radiation poisoning, unemployment and alcoholism on the alt. boards before the internet was born, lol.

I've spoken to a couple of native americans - not many of them here in Scotland. Nice guys called Pahas'ka and William Two Feathers, some years ago.

I can't place the Cheyenne River incident at the moment but I do know of Leonard Peltier (and deeply feel he should have been released years ago!), Russell Means and AIM.
Old 27-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Yes i am aware of what happened at the cheyennne reservation two years ago it was left without fresh water and heat for some weeks.
i speak to many Native people on a daily basis have done for many years.
i do know of leonard peltier like Enya says he should have been realeased years ago but he hasnt been ,i have also heard of dennis banks, and russell means.

Namaste
Old 27-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Henri77

Never had any significant conversations with Native Indians. Though I lived in Ariz 15 yrs

I recall visiting a restored prayer-ceremony circle, in Minnesota...can't recall but it had a circle of stone seats with a covered thatched roof,
Was able to communicate with the spirit of the place and it was quite interesting.

Also decades ago my wife & I were tripping at the Grand Canyon, on our honeymoon... and she saw where the Hohokam had gone (Or it was another tribe that had mysteriously disappeared),, it's been 40 yrs and the name isn't for sure.....

Once she found a unique rock, in the desert ,and said a medicine man ,in spirit, wanted her for his wife.
I wasn't specially happy about that !

I'm apolitical but have MUCH respect for indigenous wisdom, of any country.
Old 28-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Administrator
Hello

I have many Native friends and before I had a family to care for I was very much ( though I am not native ) a part of many a ceremony and event. I was blessed to have a Naming Ceremony done. I was presented with an Eagle Feather that I placed back with the Chief for his crossing in death.

I live in Canada and WHILE I fully admit our system is not perfect we do for the most part I feel embrace that part of our herritage. There are many events that never make the new's with many other people and even cultrues. Sadly the World is far from perfect ( if there is perfection ) but we are trying....I feel.

Lynn
Old 30-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Yes i am aware of what happened at the cheyennne reservation two years ago it was left without fresh water and heat for some weeks.
i speak to many Native people on a daily basis have done for many years.
i do know of leonard peltier like Enya says he should have been realeased years ago but he hasnt been ,i have also heard of dennis banks, and russell means.

Namaste

Cheyenne River is a Lakota Reservation.

Russell Means is the president of the Republic of Lakotah, he, Banks and some others helped formed AIM and held out at Pine Ridge during the FBI siege back in the 70s when Peltier was arrested.
Old 19-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Sundialed

I met these folks. Most important experience of my life.

So yes. I have met real Indians.

They call themselves they Elder Brothers of Humanity...

"...But the Kogi have decided that they have to break their long
silence (400 years of complete isolation". And I was the person they decided could best help them.
The Kogi were forced into this position by the same logic that
imposed secrecy on them for so long, the logic that says they have a
duty to survive. It is a duty created by being the Elder Brothers.
It is a fundamental belief among the Kogi that they are the
guardians of life on earth. That is what it means to be an Elder
Brother. They order reality, and engineer the fertility and fecundity of
nature. They have been sustained in this conviction by the
extraordinary vitality of the Sierra Nevada, by the powerful contrast
between their own well managed landscape and the havoc at the foot
of the mountain, and by their own longevity. We reckon the normal
human life to be three score years and ten. They have another twenty
years: at eighty, a Kogi expects to be fitter and more vigorous than
we do at fifty, and I know several active, energetic Kogi around a
hundred years old.
In believing themselves to be responsible for the well-being of
the world, they take on responsibility for the well-being of the
Younger Brother. That requires nothing from us. So long as the Kogi
are able to survive and continue their work, the world is
fundamentally safe.
"Up to now we have ignored the Younger Brother. We
have not deigned even to give him a slap."
But they can ignore the Younger Brother no longer. The
Younger Brother has got out of hand: he has begun to undermine
the structure and stability of the whole world.
The leaders of this extraordinary society decided that we must be
warned. We must be shown what we are doing, and made to
understand the catastrophe coming rapidly upon us. It is, in their
view, the only hope for us and for them.
"

"..."The Mother is suffering.
They have broken her teeth
and taken out her eyes and ears.
She vomits,
she has diarrhoea,
she is ill.
If we cut off our arms, we can’t work,
if we cut off our tongue we can’t speak,
if we cut off our legs, we can’t walk.
That is how it is with the Mother.
The Mother is suffering.
She has nothing."
I looked at the parched ground convinced that I was looking at the
death of the world. But the Mamas believe that there is still time. We are
close to the end, the earth is very sick, but there is still a chance of
saving ourselves. That is why the Mamas have spoken.
"We know what is happening.
They say that the world will end.
But it will not end yet.
If we behave well it will not end.
The earth is still fertile.
It is still giving crops.
The crops are still growing.
When it is going to die, there it will be barren.
Father Serankua made this earth
so that it would not end
so that we could all go on living here.
Younger Brother,
your water is drying up down below.
Do not think that we are responsible,
do not think we have forgotten our work.
When will the world end?
We do not know.
Neither the Younger Brother nor us can know."
The Kogi make no predictions. They say only that if we do not
change, they truly believe that the world will die. It will cease to be
fertile. They say that their work is futile in the face of our destruction."

From the book made after their film was made which was their first message in 400 years.

We still have time. What actions will we take?

P.S. The three woman with the beads, believe it or not, are literally Mother Earth. They are giving a speech and a man is standing in front of the crowd behind them. The woman (Mother Earth) are speaking simultaneously with the man who we can not see in the picture. They are saying the exact words word by word at the same time, not rehearsed. The woman are authenticating the words so the man may speak to the men (who are enlightened beings who spend their first 18 years of life with living off of basically just enough not to die, just enough light so they don't go blind, they literally see light for the first time when they are 18 and remain dazed by it for the rest of their life, some are beings of legend that stay in this state (the dark) for their whole lives and are the ones who see the end of the world coming, whoever may think I am joking with this, that is your call, but I am speaking from the heart and you should know what that means) who spoke to the director/producer of their new film coming out and premiering shortly.

One Heart.

P.S. in no way am I saying these folks are superior then anyone else, we are one like the fingers of a hand (Mayan prophecy)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
Nope, never really got into the 'noble savage' myth... Thankfully, I encountered real people with worldly problems like radiation poisoning, unemployment and alcoholism on the alt. boards before the internet was born, lol.

I've spoken to a couple of native americans - not many of them here in Scotland. Nice guys called Pahas'ka and William Two Feathers, some years ago.

I can't place the Cheyenne River incident at the moment but I do know of Leonard Peltier (and deeply feel he should have been released years ago!), Russell Means and AIM.

Sadly enough, I don't think Leonard Peltier will ever be freed. I had hopes that President Obama was going to do something about this matter, but alas no.