Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Suspended

What is the difference between matter and energy?

The difference between matter and energy is that energy is produced from matter yet has no mass and is the capacity to do work while matter is the physical "stuff" in the universe. ... Matter can obtain energy in two different ways through either potential energy or kinetic energy.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...ter-and-energy

Matter can't travel at the speed of light but energy (photon) can.
Old 16-07-2018, 12:08 AM
Master
And underpinning matter and energy is consciousness -

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.” – Max Planck

Consciousness is what the universe is made of: matter and energy are just two of the forms that consciousness takes.

When my consciousness fundamentally changes, thoughts, emotions, images, dreams, forms, perceptual colours, sounds, tastes, smells, sensations, and all experiences of every kind flow unimpeded through 'the nature of mind', 'the mind's true condition', which is also referred to as nondual consciousness.

"Beyond the mind, beyond our thoughts, there is something we call the "nature of the mind," the mind's true condition, which is beyond all limits." - Norbu
Old 16-07-2018, 12:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
One molecule of water has two hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to a single oxygen atom. Water is a tasteless, odorless liquid at ambient temperature and pressure, and appears colorless in small quantities, although it has its own intrinsic very light blue hue.

The chemical composition of wood varies from species to species, but is approximately 50% carbon, 42% oxygen, 6% hydrogen, 1% nitrogen, and 1% other elements (mainly calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, and manganese) by weight.

Yet to a scientists it is all energy form as as a chair or water isn’t it. Split an atom and what do you get?

Lot’s of energy.
Old 16-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.” – Max Planck

Consciousness is what the universe is made of: matter and energy are just two of the forms that consciousness takes.

When my consciousness fundamentally changes, thoughts, emotions, images, dreams, forms, perceptual colours, sounds, tastes, smells, sensations, and all experiences of every kind flow unimpeded through 'the nature of mind', 'the mind's true condition', which is also referred to as nondual consciousness.

"Beyond the mind, beyond our thoughts, there is something we call the "nature of the mind," the mind's true condition, which is beyond all limits." - Norbu

Yes but he is referring to local mind. Notice he calls it Nature of Mind. I call it Universal Mind.

It seems we are also back to thoughts again. Void alone is not the goal remember?

I have posted many times within this thread the 3 aspects of the Primordial State aka Buddha Nature. Void, energy and clarity.

Also, Max Planck is. Scientist which is much different than realizing the Primordial State.
Old 16-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Master
A quote trying to establish exactly the relationship between thoughts and the mind's true condition.

Quote:
In meditation one will find that the mind continuously produces thoughts. Thus, thoughts are looked at. They are observed to arise and to flow away. By this, one discover that thoughts actually do not exist by themselves; they are insubstantial waves that come and go and cease to exist. They are just waves or movement in the mind. It is important not to identify or to follow the thoughts, as they lead your awareness away. Thoughts can be, but do not have to be, eliminated. The point is to keep one's awareness on one's true essence, and let the thought go by. It's like a watching a train go by, instead of jumping on the train and ending up elsewhere. A lot of thoughts are just ramblings, automatic programs that just keep your mind busy all day. Once these have been quieted, one is able to really think what one wants, and not allow thoughts that are not wanted. Of course, the purpose is eventually to stay aware of one's Natural State. The more the thought process slows down, the clearer consciousness becomes. Our mind becomes very clear and alert; and aware that beyond those thoughts there is an ever present state of clearness and emptiness (empty of the obscurations). One becomes more and more aware of oneself. In our everyday awareness we are not aware of ourselves, we are aware of emotions, of thoughts, of what is around us. By practicing Dzogchen we become aware of our true self, pure, clear awareness of self.

The Natural State possesses the qualities of emptiness and clarity. These are of course concepts of our mind. Anything we think of, including what the terms emptiness and clarity means, is a construct of the mind, and not the true Natural State. But in our human world we need words and concepts to communicate, and as such these terms are approximations. The natural state is just itself, beyond the mind and all its constructions. When one is in the Natural State, one just is. One cannot describe it accurately.

http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/dzogchen.htm
Old 16-07-2018, 01:22 AM
Suspended

Quote:

That reminds me of a tv show I saw on quantum physics and it said particles change their behavior when an observer is present. That's pretty mind blowing. It means us being present changes what is present. It means us existing changes what exists.

I read a book once and it talked about how humans basically found stuff laying around here on earth, already existing, and we turned it into other stuff. Like how we found sand, and we turned it into glass. We found ore and turned it into steel. The book went on to claim we are doing the same thing in the astral or energy world.

When not in physical form in this physical world, we exist in the energy world. Well the book claims we do the same things there. Use stuff we find there and turn it into other stuff. The book claimed we are even making new souls or consciousnesses there using energies we found existing there and manipulating them or re-forming them in certain ways. The book basically claimed this planet we are living on and every living thing on it was created by us out of energy forms we found in the energy dimensions. So a lot of stuff religion typically claims was made by a "god" or impartial evolution was in fact made by us for us. That's what the writer of the book claimed anyway.

I was watching a show on evolution and it said Wolf DNA contains the DNA for domesticated dogs. Basically you take wolves and keep selecting the "passive" ones to breed together and eventually you end up with a domesticated dog breed. What would put that in wolf DNA if not us? It's like whoever made the wolf DNA wanted to allow it to make a version of "wolves" that humans could have as pets. Probably how we got our cat breeds as well.
Old 16-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Yet to a scientists it is all energy

I don't think so. Not the science I learned. I think a few people claim that who go down to the smallest particles known like the Higgs boson or "God" particle.

It's like you take something like a human body and keep going smaller and smaller....what is it made out of??? until you get to things we can't directly perceive anymore they are so small.... you use advanced math and physics to "prove" or have evidence of their existence.

I really don't think the term "energy" fits any better than mass or matter when you get that small. Nobody knows what it actually is, particles that small are defined by what they do, not by what the are. Nobody knows what they are.

For example the Higgs boson particle has zero spin, no electrical charge, and no color change. It is also very unstable and decays into other particles immediately after being detected. Many of these formed have mass so have physical properties in other words. Energy is certainly a quality of it but so is mass and matter.

Here is a simple question to you:

Is hate the same as love? If not, all things are not the "same thing" as you claim. If you claim they are the same, well nobody would ever claim that unless they were insane.
Old 16-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
A quote trying to establish exactly the relationship between thoughts and the mind's true condition.

That's an amazing quote. Explains clarity perfectly.
Old 16-07-2018, 02:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes but he is referring to local mind. Notice he calls it Nature of Mind. I call it Universal Mind.

Planck was a very strict and rigourous physicist, and from that perspective he claimed philosophically that the universe is fundamentally a 'matrix of mind', so his terminology referred to a universal mind, or a universal consciousness, rather than individual minds.

Quote:
It seems we are also back to thoughts again. Void alone is not the goal remember?

I have posted many times within this thread the 3 aspects of the Primordial State aka Buddha Nature. Void, energy and clarity.

Also, Max Planck is. Scientist which is much different than realizing the Primordial State.

Perhaps Planck realised the primordial state and that's why he made very farout comments in his philosophy of physics. You are basically right in saying energy is equivalent to matter in physics because energy=mass (matter has mass)Xthe speed of light squared, and in quantum physics, a 'quanta' is the minimal energy quantity.
Old 16-07-2018, 02:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Yet to a scientists it is all energy form as as a chair or water isn’t it. Split an atom and what do you get?

Lot’s of energy.

Basically, yes, and if you move a mass very fast or heat it up (apply energy to it) it weighs more. Or in other words, you can't accelerate a mass to C (speed of light) because that would require infinite energy, which under e=mc2, implies infinite mass.