Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 07-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Pathfinder

Question regarding traditional witchcraft

I'm asking this question here because it's my understanding that witchcraft came from paganism and that someone here might know. My query is about how witches of 'olde' times powered their magical workings. The way in which I learned was Wiccan which doesn't resonate with me at all. I also want to learn the traditional way because it's very interesting to me. I feel like I'm connecting with something deep.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Master
Pagan is a catch-all word covering many creeds. Witchcraft is probably one of the oldest.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Lepus

Hello Mooncat the Blue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncat the Blue
I'm asking this question here because it's my understanding that witchcraft came from paganism and that someone here might know. My query is about how witches of 'olde' times powered their magical workings. The way in which I learned was Wiccan which doesn't resonate with me at all. I also want to learn the traditional way because it's very interesting to me. I feel like I'm connecting with something deep.

I would recommend reading Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson. It's a great book on traditional Witchcraft. There are three different editions.

Blessed be,
Lepus

Last edited by Lepus : 07-09-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Experiencer

As norseman said, those words can all mean many different things. It depends on where and when you mean by "olde". Wicca doesn't resonate with me much either, nor does chaos magic or even what us Americans call "voodoo". Nothing quite that modern. I used to follow ancient Egyptian/Middle Eastern occult practices, but then I started searching further back into the deep time. Way before the written word.

Where do you live? Who are your ancestors? Where did they live? Those are the questions that influence my decisions. If your people are Central/South American, look to the practices of the ancient jungle priests. Many tribes in the Amazon still follow the old ways. If you're of Celtic heritage, although our tribal roots are buried, enough is still known of traditional druidism to guide you along your path. You don't have to follow a modern European neo-religion.

Always remember your ancestors. As far as you may be from their home, they will still guide you. Africans, Pacific Islanders, and South Americans might have it a little easier though. For all the genocide Europeans have committed, there are tribes who have lived the same way (including their witchcraft) for 10,000-50,000 years. The magic of the white man has been long lost to colonialism and industrialism.

So learn what you can about the people and places before you, and adapt it to wherever you've been transplanted. Like I've adapted Irish and Russian ways to the midwest US. We are all that came before us; if Native American, your ancestors came from Asia, the Middle East, and ultimately Africa. That heritage will teach you how to work with the Heavens and Earth. Yes, our deepest roots are all in Africa, so there lies the heart of magic! :) Hallelujah to the Great Rift Valley, land of the fires of creation!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Master
Serpentsun, I live in North-East England, in the area once the homelands of the Brigantes Celts. Next weekend, we will be celebrating Mabon at a local henge which dates from about 3500 BC - as old as Stonehenge. It was the spiritual centre of the Brigantes and we still honour the patron goddess of the Brigantes. So, 5500 years old - that is OLD !
You might also be interested to learn that pagan groups in Britain are raising new stone circles and recovering ancient ones. The Pagan creeds are on the increase while the christian church is in decline.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 AM
Experiencer
SerpentSun, I deeply enjoyed your post and it resonated quite a bit with me.

Mooncat, it's my understanding that witchcraft draws on the same set of beliefs and power as modalities like shamanism; wherein, there's a belief that nature and spirits contain powers that can be used or given towards helping a practitioner accomplish something. I've noticed that both ways typically involve asking, rather than demanding, for the help of spirits and nature. They also involve a belief that those forces are intelligent enough to be able to direct their energy to where it needs to go, and the belief that those forces must still be treated with respect. I don't know ancient spells but from what I've seen of modern stuff, they seem to involve those beliefs. I believe the objects in rituals is twofold; to both help the practitioner clear their mind to focus on what they want/how to direct energy, and to have energy sources near them that is relevant to what their doing. For example, this seems to be how spells work;
The practitioner has a goal in mind, and gathers objects related to that. Let's say they're doing a general cleansing, so they bring crystals and objects that embody that; perhaps a white candle to symbolize purity, a citrine to clean things away, and some salt for absorbing negativity. They also bring amethysts for protection from the negativity, and a wand to direct energy. They them form a protective circle with the amethyst and wand, and then light the candle. They speak their spell - either one they wrote themselves or a tried-and-true one they know - explaining what's going on and asking spirits or nature to help; they may ask natural water to come in and wash away the negativity, fire to come in and burn away the negavity, or perhaps ask spirits or deities they trust to come help. I know in Wicca it's common to thank the spirits afterward, and say something that signals closure; "My will so mote it be/my will so it was written", though I imagine these things are up to personal choice.
Overall it seems pretty straightforward, and I imagine this is basically what's been done since olden times. The shamanism technique is similar, except that the practitioner usually uses a drum to enter a trance, then leaves their body and meets the spirits in their realm rather than calling them forth. The method is still similar, and a shamanic practitioner will ask for spirits who are helpful to meet them and provide energy; afterward the practitioner may or may not bring back the energy of the helping spirit.
Both paths seem to stem from the same source, just with slightly different methods of accessing the helping spirits and energy. I would say that if you're interested in witchcraft, you look to ways to help you connect with and become familiar with spirits and natural forces. Once that's established it's just a matter of knowing how to ask for their help in a spell, setting up ritual space and using ritual tools.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."
Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Lepus

Hello,

The book I mentioned is central to Traditional British Witchcraft, which is fundamental to Wicca. Wicca is a subgroup of Witches that falls under the same "hat" as a healer, charmer, shaman, medium, psychic, priest, priestess, and so on. Although, Witches and Wiccans are used interchangeably, many Witches don't associate themselves with Wiccans due to the new-age movement.

The word shaman stems from Serbia. Nowadays, it is only referred to Native Americans and Indigenous people. The Native Americans and Indigenous weren't the only ones who believed in the spirit world and the spirits of the land. Wicca for example, is an offshoot of an ancient tree that stems from the pre-Christian era, were the Cunning-Folk and Wise-Woman roamed, which remnants of the old ways still exist today. Take norseman, for an example. They too, communicate with spirits and believe in multiple dimensions, just like the Natives and Indigenous population of the Americas.

Blessed be,
Lepus
Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Master
Wink

Thanks for the name check, Lepus . The Cunning Folk are relatively common in the UK, whereas Wicca never "caught on" to the same extent as in the US. Possibly, the most common common stream are the Traditional Witches .
To avoid cultural confusion, I think it best to use "shamanic practices" rather than "shaman" - the Cunning Folk and their current strand, the Hedge Witches, all regard Hedge Striding as a central core. But still, what's in a name .
Old 12-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Master
I have my own ways and I don't identify as anything but me. I was taught from within but I also learned how to compare and contrast. I never was Wiccan at all but I have associated with those who identify as Traditional Witches. Often people start out on the Wiccan path and learn what they need and then branch out onto their own path. It is a calling. I follow my own path but there are many similarities to witchcraft. I am white and I do magic so I guess I could be a witch, but not Wiccan because that is a religion and there are rules. I don't follow the rules of others, though I do follow the rules of magic. Traditional Witchcraft is very diverse as there are many traditions. You take what is useful, follow your guidance and see where it leads.

I think it was common to learn from within. My guardians taught me everything except certain techniques that I was guided to learn. My tools are different and my rituals are different but I follow the rules. What everyone on this thread mentioned is good advice.

I personally wouldn't do what Crystal Ambassador suggested, but I would do something similar. The principals are the same but the way I personally do it is unique to my path. That is your answer. There are formulas but how you apply them is done in your own way. Her explanation and suggestions were very good.

One thing I learned is that there are so many different ways to do things and what is right for one person, isn't right for another person. You have to find what is right for you.

I think that is how the Witches of Olde did it. I think they were mostly isolated and had to work with what they had. Traditions were passed down but the connection to source, however you perceive that, is the truly traditional way. Who called you?
Old 16-09-2016, 10:09 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello Mooncat the Blue,

I would recommend reading Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson. It's a great book on traditional Witchcraft. There are three different editions.

Blessed be,
Lepus

Thank you Lepus.