Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Henri77

Ram Dass on Compassion

Ram Dass, Cultivating the Heart of Compassion

This is possibly the best talk I've ever heard by a guru, teacher, or however he's regarded ,

Funny, revealing, rich with personal stories and insights. Compassion is his bag, but he discusses lots of stuff, a great storyteller.
And above all, more heart-humility-genuine wisdom than I've heard in some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94WZM1l0M-c

Last edited by Henri77 : 13-11-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Henri77

Hope someone checked this out.
It's pretty special IMO.
Old 29-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Master
Yea I like old Ram Dass, he talks my language.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Humm

Ram Dass is awesome.

A real old school flower child grown up who was part and parcel of the psychedelic 60's and come back to bring us his hard won wisdom.

There is a legend about a westerner who went to India in the 60's and gave a Guru LSD. The Guru took the LSD, but by all appearances was completely unaffected, so attached to the Divine was this Guru.

Ram Dass was that westerner, and his Guru was that Guru.
Old 29-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Henri77

Just found this talk at Harvard about the guru story and varied things about psychedelics & Indian spirituality .....
wonderful stories, he's such a great storyteller
Shared by both Ram Dass & Tim Leary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhzwJ6lgc28
Old 29-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Gregatha

Many years ago i came across a book "grist for the mill" by Ram Dass..and it stayed with me for years during my travels...and finally fell apart after much wear and tear.....thanks for bringing Ram Dass back into mind...Cheers
Old 30-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Henri77

And, "Be Here Now', was pretty much required reading for quite some time.
The bible, for seekers, heads, unfamiliar with eastern philosophy, as I recall it.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Ram Dass (compared to India born gurus) but I certainly respect what he's done to spread the word, and he's a really gifted speaker, story teller.

I recall a talk he gave locally before his stroke.
The audience was as respectful, devoted as if it were the Dali Lama,
and it was a sacred atmosphere that he & the audience co created.

Old 30-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Master
I find that compassion is directly related to my own experiences. In other words I feed the poor because I know hunger.
It's my personal way of treated everything as if it was myself.
It's personal though.....and stops there in it's meaning for me.
Old 30-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Henri77

I'm sure we all have different things to learn by incarnating.
Foe one it may be to learn more about courage, or love, or manifesting a talent, or teaching others.
It's not necessarily like a liberal arts college, where we all learn a bit of everything, I'd expect.

Possibly Ram Dass was shaped by his guru, As he was a strong willed Harvard professor, and needed to learn humility.

Regardless, without compassion, acceptance of perceived differences, world peace will forever remain a fantasy.
Old 30-11-2012, 03:57 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humm
Ram Dass is awesome.

A real old school flower child grown up who was part and parcel of the psychedelic 60's and come back to bring us his hard won wisdom.

There is a legend about a westerner who went to India in the 60's and gave a Guru LSD. The Guru took the LSD, but by all appearances was completely unaffected, so attached to the Divine was this Guru.

Ram Dass was that westerner, and his Guru was that Guru.
Yes I heard about this too.

Not to undermine this but, a psychopath (I happened to know briefly) also took acid and I saw (for the whole duration) that it had no effect on him either, i.e. didn't get into an altered state. It worked on others that took it. I guess what I may be alluding to is that the above story (of taking acid to no effect) may not necessarily indicate having a heightened/spiritual state, just an unusual brain to start with. They say there's a thin line between genius and madness....

Last edited by amy green : 30-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.