Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 18-07-2011, 05:15 PM
moke64916

Listening to sound

Sometimes a great way to stay Present in the moment is to notice the sounds around you. And listening for that silence in between noises. You might get a glimse of no-mind too. Sound is a great way to bring you in the Now. Observing your thoughts and emotions will bring you 'presence'. Being the silent observer and not becoming a part of it. If you observe your thoughts and emotions you will feel very peaceful. Because your thoughts and emotions don't have power over you anymore.
Old 18-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Ascender

Agreed. But perhaps the greatest way to be present is to not think about it too much.

=)
Old 18-07-2011, 06:34 PM
3dnow

Noticing the 3d environment in which you are also helps staying in the now. You see it now. (actually this is the visual version of your technique Moke)

When you do that longtime, you forget meanings (when you can) and you are left with forms only. You see a lamp for example, you don't care whether you like it or its color or not, you don't care what it is used for, more interesting is its form. There is no more liking/disliking. I find it blissful.

3d ->now
Old 18-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Neville

I find this fascinating , especially as sound his been used across the millenia to be anywhere other than here and now.

Examples that come to mind readily are Ohm, Drumming, Singing Bowls, Tingsha, doubtless many others exist. Birdsong, OceanSurf , Running Streams often form a back drop to meditative CDs.

More popular tunes incorporate sounds from a cityscape , Car horns, telephone's etc.

Focusing on a sound may actually take you away from here and now.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Gracey

every night before i fall asleep i hear a high pitch sound wave, then it tapers off into silence, then sleep. listening requires you to slow down. it is a good practice.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Neville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
every night before i fall asleep i hear a high pitch sound wave, then it tapers off into silence, then sleep. listening requires you to slow down. it is a good practice.

Hello Gracey,

I get this high tone in my ears at varying times during the day, It is a very high frequency, possibly in the Lambda frequency range. For more information on brain frequencies, see

http://www.neuroacoustic.com/epsilon.html

The lambda frequency is associated with consciousness journeying, specifically astral travel and dreaming. Hearing this frequency is the brains way of saying that it is time for the consciouness to leave the physical body. which it does when you fall to sleep or go into a meditation.

best wishes Neville.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Gracey

i have not heard of this range, thanks for the link Neville. fixing to go check it out now. :)
Old 27-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Master
When I meditate I akways become aware of sounds around me
Old 29-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Master
Listening to the non-physical sounds with our inner ear is a subtle but powerfully transforming practice. Here's a thread about it:

The Inner Sound Current - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3703

Xan

Old 29-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916
Sometimes a great way to stay Present in the moment is to notice the sounds around you. And listening for that silence in between noises. You might get a glimse of no-mind too. Sound is a great way to bring you in the Now. Observing your thoughts and emotions will bring you 'presence'. Being the silent observer and not becoming a part of it. If you observe your thoughts and emotions you will feel very peaceful. Because your thoughts and emotions don't have power over you anymore.
thanks for sharing, moke.