Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 AM
Newbie ;)

Moving Meditation

Oops, I think I just made my first mistake trying to post. I think I posted in a thread already in existence. Sorry.

What I was trying to say, is that I can see how yoga could possibly be a moving meditation. But it is some kind of intuition that tells me this. I certainly don't see it on the videos I experiment with, or in any classes either.

I do like to have some type of teacher telling me which asana to do next. But I think maybe the fluidity comes when alone. I'm not sure.

Does anyone have thoughts?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:12 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoestring
I think maybe the fluidity comes when alone. I'm not sure.

Yes. I think it's easier to connect with yourself and be more in tune with your emotional and psychological layers when your alone. Practicing alone also gives you the ability to practice the poses at your own pace over and over again without being timed. You learn to grasp your own vibe and flow. For me, it's more empowering when your out doors and in tune with nature.

Yoga these days is more taught as a form of exercise, not so much "meditation"( even though its considered a strain). I personally like to separate the two. For me a class is more for socializing and bonding but that's just my perspective. I youtube and self taught myself most poses anyways. However, you do learn proper technique with the instructor, so yes some classes are important in that regard.

There are so many different types of Yoga forms and classes. In time, you will find what type of poses are right for you. Or, maybe you will find it's not for you period. I wasn't into it at all until I started with the more physical challenging type poses ( ashtanga), now that caught my attention..

http://www.skinnymom.com/find-your-z...tyles-decoded/
Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 AM
Newbie ;)

Thanks, Clover :) I didn't start yoga until I was 49. And the exercise I had gotten up until then was chasing children, which doesn't really count. So all the poses were awkward and most of them were physically challenging. I have been doing it for a while, but not to worry...I get to going pretty well, and all I really have to do is look on youtube for something new. I did moon salutations today, and I had to take a child's pose break to stop my panting. Lol
Old 03-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Thanks, Clover :) I didn't start yoga until I was 49. And the exercise I had gotten up until then was chasing children, which doesn't really count. So all the poses were awkward and most of them were physically challenging. I have been doing it for a while, but not to worry...I get to going pretty well, and all I really have to do is look on youtube for something new. I did moon salutations today, and I had to take a child's pose break to stop my panting. Lol

Lol. Well, I think that's great. It's never too late to start, so good for you. The poses can be awkward and even challenging for me too ( mid 30's). I am on the petite side so some stretches are way out of my reach.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Lol. Well, I think that's great. It's never too late to start, so good for you. The poses can be awkward and even challenging for me too ( mid 30's). I am on the petite side so some stretches are way out of my reach.

My yoga teacher has six foot long legs and mine well, they seem petite as you say. When she sits lotus its all legs. She looks like a statue.I look down at mine and wonder how I can make mine look like hers in that position...lol.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 14-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow

My yoga teacher has six foot long legs and mine well, they seem petite as you say. When she sits lotus its all legs. She looks like a statue.I look down at mine and wonder how I can make mine look like hers in that position...lol.

Aww, it isn't about what you look like as much as what the peace is like when you become a lotus. I can't even get into the padmasana (phew, notice me using the name for it, way-hayyy!) without pre-working my hips so my flanks touch the ground. I'm about average-legged for my height. When I can get into it I can appreciate the peace and comfort and it's usually more painful to get out of it!

I don't normally use this asana for a long meditation though.

♀♫☼♪♫
Old 18-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Aww, it isn't about what you look like as much as what the peace is like when you become a lotus. I can't even get into the padmasana (phew, notice me using the name for it, way-hayyy!) without pre-working my hips so my flanks touch the ground. I'm about average-legged for my height. When I can get into it I can appreciate the peace and comfort and it's usually more painful to get out of it!

I don't normally use this asana for a long meditation though.

♀♫☼♪♫
\

I missed this miss L. I was joking about the legs..lol...

I am with you about feeling the peace when able to get in it..:)

I cant get into the padmasana easily, but usually after some hip workout also, so I get where your at with this.

I am finding the yin yoga is really beneficial for my normal classes of yoga especially for ma hips..

The best for me is pilates with yoga but I cant afford pilates at present. Here where I live its quite expensive so I ditched it at present for more yoga.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 18-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Master
Quote:
What I was trying to say, is that I can see how yoga could possibly be a moving meditation. But it is some kind of intuition that tells me this. I certainly don't see it on the videos I experiment with, or in any classes either.

Does anyone have thoughts?
Yoga can include a lot of practices, systems, and beliefs. Meditation is one of the more common inclusions. Also very common are poses/exercises, energy work, and sat-sang. At least in the western hemisphere, sitting type meditation seems to be taught most. The most common taught moving meditation is walking meditation.

Mediation can also be done outside of the yoga context.

Both yoga and meditation can become a way of life rather than something you do a few times a week. Mostly this has to to with mindfulness and intention. Every act can be done with both.
Old 19-03-2016, 05:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Yoga can include a lot of practices, systems, and beliefs. Meditation is one of the more common inclusions. Also very common are poses/exercises, energy work, and sat-sang. At least in the western hemisphere, sitting type meditation seems to be taught most. The most common taught moving meditation is walking meditation.

Mediation can also be done outside of the yoga context.

Both yoga and meditation can become a way of life rather than something you do a few times a week. Mostly this has to to with mindfulness and intention. Every act can be done with both.

I am interested what you include in your way of life in relation to all that you share here wstein, if you dont mind sharing? I agree with you with the practices or group sessions a few times a week. For me, these are really helping me learn the movement to put into my own practice and intention for daily living.

Old 20-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I am interested what you include in your way of life in relation to all that you share here wstein, if you dont mind sharing? I agree with you with the practices or group sessions a few times a week. For me, these are really helping me learn the movement to put into my own practice and intention for daily living.
I don't follow any traditions, never have. I grew up without access to them. In early adulthood when I finally got access, I did investigate many (many metaphysical ones too). They didn't seem to offer much beyond what I already had so I didn't adopt any of them.

On the physical side I stretch daily and eat a reasonable diet (not remotely vegetarian).

As to the mental stuff I pretty much live in a meditative state. I am naturally very aware and mindful by nature. In the past I did some meditation inconsistently. But since I now have a light meditative state and inner silence as a default (i.e. most of the time), I only 'sit' to meditate if I need to focus on a specific issue (3-4 times a year). In a sense my whole life is a moving meditation. I used to do a lot of intent based stuff but have been replacing that with non-doing lately.

Most of what I do is more metaphysical than classic yoga. This includes reading energy, looking into the future, lucid dreaming, developing abilities to do magic and miracles and occasionally and OBE. There is no set time or ritual to any of this, i just fit it when it seems right.