Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-01-2015, 12:19 AM
KevinO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
My experience has been that thoughts arise from the predominant habitual state of the mind. Therefore, if the state of the mind is unwholesome, unskillful thoughts will arise, whereas if the state of the mind is pure and wholesome, thoughts of a purer nature will arise.

For example, "automatic" thoughts of joyful recognition of the positive qualities of other people arise in my mind when my mind is in a wholesome state. I don't believe there is anything negative or unfulfilled about that.

What is thought?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinO
What is thought?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought
Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 AM
KevinO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField

So thought is thinking thoughts. In your experience, is there a more exact way to define it?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Shabby

Great thread and great thoughts : )

My thoughts are that mind appears with the body simultaneously when we become/became conscious.

The mind is a vehicle/tool through which we perceive and filter what we perceive through our senses. What is perceived is filtered and stored in the mind as memory and filtered into categories of good and bad dependent on several different factors.

If the mind recognizes a pattern, it forms a belief. Thoughts are by products of beliefs.

There is only one belief that actually creates all beliefs and when that one belief I pulled by it's root all over beliefs can be dismissed simply by looking at it without judgment.

Meditation is a tool through which we can learn to still the mind for relaxation or surpassing the mind for realization of one's true Self.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Master
Get past all that stuff.

If you can observe a thought then you are not a thought.

If you silence the mind enough you will notice thoughts are just energy. (Mantra meditation is really good at observing this)

Where does that energy that generates thoughts start from within your body? (It is not where you think)

If that is so, then where are you located?

Those are the types of inquiry one does with thoughts.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Master
I really like the writing of Colin Drake. He really makes it simple to understand.

Below follows a simple method to investigate the nature of reality starting with one’s day-to-day experience. Each step should be considered until one experiences, or ‘sees’, its validity before moving on to the following step. If you reach a step where you do not find this possible, continue on regardless in the same way, and hopefully the flow of the investigation will make this step clear. By all means examine each step critically but with an open mind, for if you only look for ‘holes’ that’s all you will find!

1. Consider the following statement: ‘Life, for each of us, is just a series of moment-to-moment experiences’. These experiences start when we are born and continue until we die, rushing headlong after each other, so that they seem to merge into a whole that we call ‘my life’. However, if we stop to look we can readily see that, for each of us, every moment is just an experience.

2. Any moment of experience has only three elements: thoughts (including all mental images), sensations (everything sensed by the body and its sense organs) and Awareness of these thoughts and sensations. Emotions and feelings are a combination of thought and sensation.

3. Thoughts and sensations are ephemeral, that is they come and go, and are objects, i.e. ‘things’ that are perceived.

4. Awareness is the constant subject, the ‘perceiver’ of thoughts and sensations and that which is always present. Even during sleep there is Awareness of dreams and of the quality of that sleep; and there is also Awareness of sensations; if a sensation becomes strong enough, such as a sound or uncomfortable sensation, one will wake up.

5. All thoughts and sensations appear in Awareness, exist in Awareness, and subside back into Awareness. Before any particular thought or sensation there is effortless Awareness of ‘what is’: the sum of all thoughts and sensations occurring at any given instant. During the thought or sensation in question there is effortless Awareness of it within ‘what is’. Then when it has gone there is still effortless Awareness of ‘what is’.

6. So the body/mind is experienced as a flow of ephemeral objects appearing in this Awareness, the ever present subject. For each of us any external object or thing is experienced as a combination of thought and sensation, i.e. you may see it, touch it, know what it is called, and so on. The point is that for us to be aware of anything, real or imaginary, requires thought about and/or sensation of that thing and it is Awareness of these thoughts and sensations that constitutes our experience.

7. Therefore this Awareness is the constant substratum in which all things appear to arise, exist and subside. In addition, all living things rely on Awareness of their environment to exist and their behaviour is directly affected by this. At the level of living cells and above this is self-evident, but it has been shown that even electrons change their behaviour when (aware of) being observed! Thus this Awareness exists at a deeper level than body/mind (and matter/energy[14]) and we are this Awareness!

8. This does not mean that at a surface level we are not the mind and body, for they arise in, are perceived by and subside back into Awareness, which is the deepest and most fundamental level of our being. However, if we choose to identify with this deepest level – Awareness – (the perceiver) rather than the surface level, mind/body (the perceived), then thoughts and sensations are seen for what they truly are, just ephemeral objects which come and go, leaving Awareness itself totally unaffected.