Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 21-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Hypnoticalec

According to buddha, how does one achieve "Bliss"?

Now, bliss might not be the correct word, but I hope it will successfully replace the word I cant find.

I've been meditating under my own instinct to become "empty like wind" so I can let go of my earthly pain. Maintaining a neutral state is difficult, with that said, what does the Buddha say about wellness?
Old 22-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnoticalec
Now, bliss might not be the correct word, but I hope it will successfully replace the word I cant find.

I've been meditating under my own instinct to become "empty like wind" so I can let go of my earthly pain. Maintaining a neutral state is difficult, with that said, what does the Buddha say about wellness?

I guess the Buddhist would term it 'Nirvana'.

I find maintaining neutrality is quite difficult and can see the very subtle ways the observant mind is swept up in the motion.

People often claim that Buddha said 'that' and meant 'this' by what he said, but people take the words, which are hearsay, and construe them to reinforce beliefs that were preconceived.

When I meditated with the Buddhists there was a ritual of surrendering to the three jewels (also called triple gem, which is why I use this avatar name). The surrender to the Buddha was said to mean, surrender to the enlightenment with you. There was another one which was, surrender to the Dhamma, which meant to accept the teachings of the person, Buddha, and also to give in to the laws of the universe.

In my opinion, you are fully right to be guided by intuition in your meditation, which might sound strange coming form a person who was formally trained in Buddhist meditation, but in my practice, with every insight I make, I refine the practice accordingly with newly gleaned understanding.

Anyway. Good ol' intuition... or whatever it might be.

My addition to this is, suffer no aversions to the hardships or discomforts, for these are opportunities to cultivate a firm balance of mind. Remain neutral and peaceful, and observe them in passing in the enduring purity of love
Old 22-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Knower
There is a problem with Buddhism that is rarely mentioned. The Buddha grew up in a very privileged position and always knew that he could have whatever he wanted - his certainty in his own power of creating reality and manifestation was never destroyed in childhood as it is with 99.99% of people.

Therefore, he had already achieved stage one of spirituality before he renounced material things. The problem is that people who have never found their own power of creating reality and manifesting anything (and becoming sick of having anything you want) follow his teaching and go directly to stage 2 - which should be not wanting the things you CAN have.

It's only when you have lived some time being able to have anything that you want and have found that nothing brings lasting satisfaction that stage 2 makes any sense or has any real benefit. Ask yourself the question 'what do I want' and only if the answer is genuinely 'nothing' can you really follow the Buddha...

You need to be able to say with complete sincerity, 'Most people spend their lives wanting the things they cannot have but I spend mine not wanting the things I can have'.
Old 22-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDimension
There is a problem with Buddhism that is rarely mentioned. The Buddha grew up in a very privileged position and always knew that he could have whatever he wanted - his certainty in his own power of creating reality and manifestation was never destroyed in childhood as it is with 99.99% of people.

Therefore, he had already achieved stage one of spirituality before he renounced material things. The problem is that people who have never found their own power of creating reality and manifesting anything (and becoming sick of having anything you want) follow his teaching and go directly to stage 2 - which should be not wanting the things you CAN have.
It's only when you have lived some time being able to have anything that you want and have found that nothing brings lasting satisfaction that stage 2 makes any sense or has any real benefit. Ask yourself the question 'what do I want' and only if the answer is genuinely 'nothing' can you really follow the Buddha...

You need to be able to say with complete sincerity, 'Most people spend their lives wanting the things they cannot have but I spend mine not wanting the things I can have'.

Surely, you can see that this stage 2 is rather imprecisely expressed here. I totally get where you're coming from, and I've thought about it a lot, and I think the rationale for playing down Buddha's importance because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, is just an emotional, negative response sort of like envy (can't think of the word I want to use here).

I think it's amazing how things played out because if his life had not been so protected by his station, no one would pay it much mind -- the fact of his high intelligence, proven out by his record of his high achievement in his schooling, his 'awakening' would be downplayed up through the ages because he'd be seen as just another eccentric holy man.

If you read the book about his life by Thich Naht Than - Old Path White Clouds, you will see what kind of a man he really was. I'm starting to read it for the second time.

Sea Turtle

The Buddha used a sea turtle to illustrate the precious rarity of opportunity afforded by our human birth. The turtle example appears in the scripture called in Pali, the Chiggala Sutta that is classified as LVI.48 of the Samyutta Nikaya.

It is a metaphor known in English as The Hole:

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there.
A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north.

And suppose a blind turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years.

Now what do you think - Would that blind turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, Lord, that the blind turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state.

It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy and rightly self-awakened, arises in the world.

It's likewise a sheer coincidence that doctrine and discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy and rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine and discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation: `This is stress . . . . This is the origination of stress . . . . This is the cessation of stress . . . . This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress."

Old 22-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Master
Quote:

What is wrong with bliss? It is a good word and an accurate description. I should you a video of a Harvard professor using that word :)

I comes when it comes. The best thing you can do is just have a solid routine that you do twice a day, everyday.

Most people will experience ecstasy of the body before they experience true samadhi.

Quote:

Now why would you want to do that :)

You do know there are systems that have the stuff down to a science. Systems that have been around for thousands of years designed to bring about higher states of consciousness as fast and as safe as possible.
Old 29-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Suspended
Balance and focus are key. I like the way you said "empty like the wind". Regarding bliss, that isn't so important in itself. At the gross level you may feel pleasurable sensations (and unpleasant sensations!) but you let the wind have them. Not becoming attached. At the subtle level the Buddhists talk of jnanas and according to the system the 4th or 5th jnana (meditative stage) is blissful.. But, again, no need to grasp at it..

All sounds well!