Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 AM
Master
The Origins of Human Consciousness

Yesterday, I watched a series of videos about the history and origins of Human Consciousness by Jason Harrell.

Never have I seen the whole concept presented in such an easy to understand and all-inclusive way before, so I thought that I have to share this.

He goes on to discuss the concepts of unconditional love, the antithetical force in relation to psycho- spatial temporality and the desire to return back to our true nature as being the three motivational factors in human evolution. I enjoyed these offerings immensely and hope others do as well.

Please take the time to watch these and I would like to get some feedback. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/rTPtjUBKAc8

https://youtu.be/moYB1o00LtA

https://youtu.be/jH_tUSH0NeQ
Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Master
I must confess that I did not view all three videos; nonetheless, I did find a lot of what I did view plausible, even though fraught with contradictions. For instance, as stated, it is true that the structure of consciousness, as we know it, is inadequate for us to understand consciousness. It is difficult to really know the box from only having always been inside of the box.

Language notwithstanding presents its’ own issues. Human beings do not feel like they are conscious of something unless they can place a label on it, call it something, and that label for us becomes what that is. Even if we don’t know what to call something we still place a label on it; we call it “phenomena.” Phenomena is the label we use for all those things for which we do not have a label. A label is as a handle for us, a way for us to grasp what we are conscious of, but as pointed out in the videos, words are only references.

Two things about language, one, a multi-lingual person usually thinks in the language that they were risen around from childhood, even though they may be fluent in speaking, reading, and writing other languages, and two, there are words in some languages for which there are no similar words in other languages. So how we process language, as a reference, is not universal among humankind. I might say that the animal species have a more universally comprehensive language than do humans.

Language, for human beings, play a major role in what we call “consciousness,” but in my opinion language is not germane to consciousness. Can there be communication without language? The title of the videos you referenced are “The Origins of Consciousness," and the word “origin” infers a beginning. I embrace the metaphysical concept that whatever has a beginning has and ending. But an ending does not necessarily mean extinction; rather it just may mean a transformation.

So we are talking about consciousness as seen from the human construct, and how we humans define consciousness. Consciousness and it’s assumed polar opposite, unconsciousness, may be elements of the same purview. Unconsciousness may not necessarily mean the absence of consciousness. Seemingly, the element that determines what we humans call “consciousness” and “unconsciousness” is the concept of awareness.

Can we be conscious without being aware? Most people have selective awareness but that does not mean they are unconscious, because they only choose to be aware of certain aspects. Basically, I found the videos I watched to be an intellectual presentation about building a cohesive paradigm around the concept of consciousness, but such a paradigm is only germane to the structure of consciousness we have as human beings, and that was acknowledged in the first video.

The thing I often look for is the utility of such a presentation. Such a discussion can serve to stimulate but what is its practical application? If I had watched all three videos, I might have been able to give feedback that is more inclusive of the presentation.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Master
Thank you for replying, Starman.

I do agree there are a few discrepancies and contradictions based on the limited language of explanation.

For example, the author describes that if desire and awareness fully condenses upon itself within the confines of the box of consciousness, it creates a singularity or a 'black hole' which can exit the box in the form of being "unconscious" and yet, doesn't mention the experience of "superconsciousness" as being a way to exit the box...and as we know, there is a big difference between being "unconscious" and being "superconsciousness" in the latter, one remains fully conscious of their unconscious state.

This is called "turiya" or the "Fourth Way" to reference Ouspensky. This transcends unconditional love, the antithetical force and desire.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Master
On language. Do you mean only verbal language?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
On language. Do you mean only verbal language?
Sort of...more like the limitations of language and expression to try and "label" something, as Starman said, but the "labels" don't really describe it, or do it much justice either and hence the perceived contradictions.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Master
Because of my profession I deal with that alot. Maybe that's why I have a hard time with lables. There's so many ways to communicate, verbal language is small part of it. Skills a lot of people are loosing because things like technology.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color My Own Private Idaho

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig3_275017249

My own private Idaho...Sung to B-52's

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Master
Thank you r6r6r.

I am familiar with the "Bottom - Up, Top - Down" model, as I have studied Kauffman, Penrose, Bruce Lipton, read many papers on neuropsychology and noetics, have totally memorised every Science and Non Duality (SAND) conference, and every TED-X lecture...

You would think I would have more of a life and something better to do with my time, but I don't...sad, I know...

https://youtu.be/9SOryJvTAGs
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color

Quote:
Shivani Devi---Thank you r6r6r. I am familiar with the "Bottom - Up, Top - Down" model,

Your welcome. First time I saw that particular model that has my personal universe at its center. Ive used similar reference for mnay years now. It has been in my signature here for a few years also aka I-verse.

When I got Liptons "Biology of Belief" DVD he became my new hero at that time. Havent followed him much in recent years.

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
Your welcome. First time I saw that particular model that has my personal universe at its center. Ive used similar reference for mnay years now. It has been in my signature here for a few years also aka I-verse.

When I got Liptons "Biology of Belief" DVD he became my new hero at that time. Havent followed him much in recent years.
I have read the "Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton in book form.

It has pride of place on my bookshelf next to "DMT The Spirit Molecule" by Dr Rick Strassman , which sits next to "Beyond Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza and that sits alongside "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden.

The exploration of microtubules is a fascinating thing...

Here is Stuart Kauffman at the SAND conference:
https://youtu.be/hOTjrNhnjDc

Yeah, I am a total nerd...I know....I know...