Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 26-01-2013, 03:01 PM
╰☆╮ Will-‘๑’-The-Wisp ╰☆╮

Need a recommendation...

Hello

Yes the title says it all, I need a suggestion on a particular book on Wicca. I've read Silver Ravenwolf's Solitary Witch for the new generation and didn't really quite stick to me, too much of her own spells and rituals and hardly any mention on the doctrine. I was thinking on getting Scott Cunningham's but wasn't sure. Yeah leave a response, I should also mention on my level of expertise on Wicca, I know the basics and the rede, the God and Goddess and how they both are needed to be complete. The Esbats and Sabbats and how each are celebrated on a particular day, not going into details. I am Ecletic in case you're wondering not following any particular tradition i take bits and pieces of other tradition and put them in my liking. That being said leave your recommendation and please expain why you suggest that particular book. Thanks!
Old 26-01-2013, 03:49 PM
nitrosfamiliar

why dont you just go to a book store ,plop down in divination and go through them until you find one that feels right .
Old 26-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Well how will I know if the one book I pick has the correct and accurate information, in terms of history and working with rituals?
Old 26-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Isolde`Yewl

Earth, Air, Fire, And Water by Cunningham is an amazingly beautiful book if you're into Natural Wicca. It's all about using sticks and sand and rocks. Stuff you find in nature on a walk rather than something you buy at a store.

I also really liked Natural Witchery, by Ellen Dugan, Whisper from the Woods by Sandra Kynes, and Craft of the Wild Witch by Poppy Palin.

I've heard a lot of negative things about Silver Ravenwolf and her books, so I've never read one. I started with "Idiot Guide" books. They really have a lot of information for beginners, which I was. I've sort of turned away from the Wiccan way and went straight Pagan, but I still use those four books any time I've feeling in need.

Let me know if you find something interesting! I'd love to expand my collection.
Old 26-01-2013, 05:13 PM

I'm glad you mentioned the four elements Isolde 'Yewl, I been having trouble connecting with the elements and how to properly call each quarter during rituals. I might consider getting Scott Cunningham's and Deborah Lipp, Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle. Oh and I will look into those three authors and I will let you know if I find anything of interest of this particular topic. Blessed Be :)
Old 27-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Niebla0007

Wicca Books

Why not try your local library?
It is where I did my first basic research about this topic.
The good thing about it is,
you can skim at what the books are like and find the authors you like.
Most books have a list of other similar ones complete with their pictures and a description at the back section.
When I find some I really want, I go shopping online for it.
Old 31-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Master
Will-Wisp.
Don't ever, ever forget that Wicca was "born yesterday" almost. It is a manufactured creed and the components are assembled from other sources - Masonic Orders, Druidry, etc. However, it was built on a core of Witchcraft an inconvenient fact that many wiccans prefer to forget.
Books ? - forget it. Most are rubbish anyway, especially those written by people with "made-up-names". So, my advice is to read this wiccan thread completely as there are many writers here who do not follow wicca but rather the Older Order - so read up on that instead and note that The Craft is based on experience.

All your questions have been answered here many times over.

OK, a book if you must. "The Triumph of the Moon" by Prof. Ronald Hutton, University of Bristol OR "Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits" by Emma Wilby, Fellow, University of Essex. Both noted British academics.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ╰☆╮ Will-‘๑’-The-Wisp ╰☆╮
Hello

Yes the title says it all, I need a suggestion on a particular book on Wicca. I've read Silver Ravenwolf's Solitary Witch for the new generation and didn't really quite stick to me, too much of her own spells and rituals and hardly any mention on the doctrine. I was thinking on getting Scott Cunningham's but wasn't sure. Yeah leave a response, I should also mention on my level of expertise on Wicca, I know the basics and the rede, the God and Goddess and how they both are needed to be complete. The Esbats and Sabbats and how each are celebrated on a particular day, not going into details. I am Ecletic in case you're wondering not following any particular tradition i take bits and pieces of other tradition and put them in my liking. That being said leave your recommendation and please expain why you suggest that particular book. Thanks!

Ann Moura's GreenWitchcraft vol. 1 will lend a basic format of the Wheel-of-the-Year.

D.J. Conway's MoonMagic will give you a better understanding of the Moon Cycles and the Annual Cyclical Path of MotherMoon and the Gifts each Individual Incarnation of the Moon can bring to your practice--teaching you how to both draw upon Her Powers and send your power out (in return).

D.J. Conway's A Little Book of Candle Magic will instruct you on Colors, Crystals, Stones, Herbs, Oils, and Planetary Timing as it applies to the Days of the Week and the Hours of the Day.

Jim Maynard's Pocket Astrologer will be there when you are ready to get a more in-depth understanding of Planetary Movements and Positioning as they effect the here and now. You will be able to plan ahead and draw upon the energy of your choice, take advantage of unusual alignments, and learn about and learn how to avoid a Mercury Retrograde and the times of Void-of-Course--so that your hard work will come to fruition.

Peace and Love on your path to Discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...