Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 28-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Juanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
Last summer I began to read up on Spiritualism. It seems to be one of the more popular religions of the time, so I wanted to give a look. To make a long story short, I read most of Allen Kardec's books and found them to be quite negative. Kardec seems to spout about the love of God often, yet repeadedly whacks us over the head on what a cruel mistress karma can be. His idea talks about the ultimate redemption of every soul, and he did have some thoughts that I agreed with. But it all just seemed so dark and tedious to me as he explained the reasons why some people die, and the lessons we must learn. I cannot see why anyone would be drawn to Kardec's philosophy... I am a very positive person, but everytime I read one of his books, I felt very heavy and even a little morbid. I did not like the energy I got from it at all.

ok, first of all---there is not "that" much of a difference between spiritulism and spiritism---they all believe in Spirit....Most spiritists are Christian, most spiritulists are not, altho some are.........

Allen Kardec, like most mediums or channelers, especially of that time, have interpreted their messages from Spirit through a filter of religious and cultural beliefs........also it is good to remember that any spirit can only speak from his own level and perception....meaning that if you ask 5 spirits the same question, you will probably get 5 different answers....... It is good to read all you can on spiritual matters, but learn to let go of those that do not resonate with you........
Old 29-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Experiencer

Agreed, on all counts, Juanita! More Spiritualists are believing in or at least accepting the possibility of reincarnation than was the case in the past: so that difference is diminishing.

As you say, people - incarnate, or discarnate - see things, and say things, through their own cultural filter.

Jim
Old 29-02-2012, 03:00 AM
mac

"also it is good to remember that any spirit can only speak from his own level and perception....meaning that if you ask 5 spirits the same question, you will probably get 5 different answers....... It is good to read all you can on spiritual matters, but learn to let go of those that do not resonate with you"

Undoubtedly this is the case but why ask 'spirits' when there is already a huge wealth of teachings from spirit teacher/guides who are generally acknowledged to be highly spiritually-evolved? These latter individuals are the ones best able to communicate the deeper aspects of etheric life.

Of course if you're only interested in the minutiae of discarnate life then there might be interesting accounts to be had from 'ordinary' spirits, the equivalent of 'ordinary' human beings. I do see some justification for listening to how day-to-day life goes on in the dimension(s) following this physical one, accounts given by those who observe/experience them.
Old 29-02-2012, 03:04 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
I haven't read that one, Mac, but I intend to.

Jim

By all means give it a whirl, Jim, but when I fished my copy out of storage recently, I found the style amazingly dated and very hard to read. Probably similar to 'the Mediums' Book' I'd guess....

I downloaded an online version some time back but haven't ever felt the urge to read it - and reading from a computer screen doesn't appeal to me either.

I never recommend books and this is one I'd hesitate to even suggest other than as an example of how things have changed....
Old 29-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Experiencer

That topic fascinates me, Mac!

Other than the Borgia / Benson books, can you think of any good ones about daily life in the spirit world?

Jim
Old 29-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
By all means give it a whirl, Jim, but when I fished my copy out of storage recently, I found the style amazingly dated and very hard to read. Probably similar to 'the Mediums' Book' I'd guess....

I downloaded an online version some time back but haven't ever felt the urge to read it - and reading from a computer screen doesn't appeal to me either.

I never recommend books and this is one I'd hesitate to even suggest other than as an example of how things have changed....

I was comfortable with the style in the Medium's Book: though some of the terms are confusing. I surmise that Kardec's speaking of someone in a deep trance state, when he uses the term "somnambulist": which to me, means nothing other than a sleep-walker. (?)

Also, I mentally substituted the word "possession" whenever he said "obsession".

Jim
Old 29-02-2012, 02:35 PM
mac

Quote:
That topic fascinates me, Mac!

Other than the Borgia / Benson books, can you think of any good ones about daily life in the spirit world?

Jim

Sorry, Jim, I can't help on that score. It's years since I had my books collection (all 'lent' out and not returned) and I can't remember what I used to have.

Changing tack, as you know I never recommend anything but one that I've found illuminating is 'Soul Trek' by Julie Gale.

Whereas Spiritualist books often focus on the so-called afterlife, Julie's book also looks at the forelife. I wrote to her (early 1998) to learn a little more and in her reply she told me she once worked on the old 'Psychic News' when Maurice Barbanell was editor. She said she was there when some of the Silver Birch recordings were being transcribed - wonderful days.

I won't recommend it but it's worth considering I'd say - my copy is falling apart as I've used it so much. It's the only one that accompanies me as I travel back and forth over the big pond....
Old 29-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Experiencer

Sounds like it's worth a look, then.

At this point, I'm more interest in what will happen next than in what happened previously. However, the forelife or prelife is indeed a sorely neglected topic. There's an article about same in the 11 February issue of Psychic News, which I haven't read yet.

Jim
Old 29-02-2012, 04:39 PM
mac

Quote:
Sounds like it's worth a look, then.

At this point, I'm more interest in what will happen next than in what happened previously. However, the forelife or prelife is indeed a sorely neglected topic. There's an article about same in the 11 February issue of Psychic News, which I haven't read yet.

Jim

Yes I believe the article is by Lis Warwood (Jim's wife) and I, too, have yet to read all the issues of PN and Two Worlds that arrived after we came out to Arizona in January. Always lots of periodicals for me to catch up with when we get home.

I've read reams of afterlife stuff with very little about what happens before we get here.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Yes I believe the article is by Lis Warwood (Jim's wife) and I, too, have yet to read all the issues of PN and Two Worlds that arrived after we came out to Arizona in January. Always lots of periodicals for me to catch up with when we get home.

I've read reams of afterlife stuff with very little about what happens before we get here.

Yes, Lis W. is the author.

I'm finishing the fourth (new) issue of PN, and have that fifth issue (with Lis' article) here. And I received the March issue of Two Worlds in the mail today.

Jim