Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 AM
CarryingEagle

Listen to Russell Means's 1980s speech on utube. I think it will answer many of your concerns.
Old 15-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarb
I feel like we've lost our way. Forgetting who you are and why you're here.

Dependency on outside systems, while destroyed from the inside through the last 6 generations.

We need to admit our challenges and face them head on. Create a localized economy so we are self dependant.

Treat each other as brothers and sisters.
Edgarb, you put this very concisely. I like this. You've summed up 150 years of colonization and suggested some powerful strategies. Thank you.

Of course I know it's not "so simple" - it's not a set of assembly instructions to put together a cabinet from Ikea (ha ha ha). But we can break this into strategic steps.

I continue to watch the news from Anishinaabe country ever since I originally posted this thread - in fact, I'm finding myself preferring Indigenous produced news over mainstream news - and I take heart in the all the little steps I see being taken all over Turtle Island by the warriors who do indeed face the challenges head on.
Old 15-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarb
I feel like we've lost our way. Forgetting who you are and why you're here.

Dependency on outside systems, while destroyed from the inside through the last 6 generations.

We need to admit our challenges and face them head on. Create a localized economy so we are self dependant.

Treat each other as brothers and sisters.
Edgarb, you put this very concisely. I like this. You've summed up 150 years of colonization and suggested some powerful strategies. Thank you.

Of course I know it's not "so simple" - it's not a set of assembly instructions to put together a cabinet from Ikea (ha ha ha). But we can break this into strategic steps.

I continue to watch the news from Anishinaabe country ever since I originally posted this thread - in fact, I'm finding myself watching Indigenous produced news over mainstream news more often these days - and I take heart in the all the little steps I see being taken all over Turtle Island by the warriors who do indeed face the challenges head on.

Whoops - disregard this 2nd duplicate post!
Old 15-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD99
I don't have the answers. But I am seeking them out. I wrote a poem that shares some of my feelings about the inter-community wounds that tear me apart.

Tina Fontaine, a 15 year old Aboriginal girl under the care of a foster family, was found in Red River in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Aug 17, 2014. She was found ‘by accident’ when divers were looking for another suspected body in the river, that of an Aboriginal man named Faron Hall. He too was found in the same river as Tina Fontaine, on that same day.

Poem for Tina Fontaine

As her body curved
Into the rocks
She saw another
Floating there
He looked like her father, or brother,
Her uncles…
He looked like someone
Who used to care.

Thanks for listening. Miigwetch.
Wow! KLD99, I am SO glad you know about this. You must be a close neighbour!

I cried for days when they found her. My heart continues to ache as I see the cruel disregard our so called "leaders" in Canadian government give to this. And did you also see what Rinelle Harper did after the vicious attack she suffered? Standing there like a true warrior in front of all the TV cameras, with her Eagle Feather, and asking for prayers of forgiveness and healing for her attackers. Just blew me away, the strength of that young woman.

The poem is beautiful, btw. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 20-02-2015, 06:09 AM
Master
Finding meaning

Only from historic readings of indigenous take over all over the world do I know some of the horrific and saddening circumstances. This surely has an effect on self in so many ways. Each individual is struggling to make sense of a world now that has become super fast, super superficial, and very self-centered ,My life has had much pain and been very unsettled ,I am not indigenous,I have tried many religions but right now it is The Traditional American Indian values of have Respect for yourself,Respect for others, Respect for Mother Earth and its animals,and Respect For The Great Spirit of all things,that is really resonating deeply into my heart. I pray also that all find a way of Peace,often we need to be brought to our knees first before things change.I imagine early indigenous people were made strong by there circumstances of survival to hunt and gather, and love born from family closeness.
Old 21-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Ascender

You're right about the world becoming self-centered, superficial & fast, I do however feel you're wrong by trying to break it down into them vs us communities.
Admittedly I'm a long way from north America but my country has similar problems. I often watch imported animals living peacefully with native animals. As humans we're supposed to be the most intelligent of all species. "IF" this is a fact, why can't we do something that animals do every day.
Today I'm in a very reflective mood. It's harvest time here & it hasn't been a good year, this time last year I had neighbors running away from me when they saw me coming down the street, I had that many eggs & vegetables to give away, this year I'm keeping my own family going & that's about all.
I should be outside getting the patch ready for a winter crop, but I've just been lazy, instead I'm reading these forums & watching the horse races on TV. But it's a busy house & today is one of the rare occasions that I find myself at home alone. My oldest son went fishing with his girlfriend & they took the 2 younger kids with them & my wife went looking for a dress.
Sorry to ramble on like this but my mind won't settle even though I've had a small snooze & a cup of coffee & a pipe.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Suspended
Did your horse win?

Old 22-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
Did your horse win?

No. No luck there. I'm licking my wounds this morning. At least I didn't lose too much.